Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    I heard the athletes' village in London has already been transitioned into housing for locals. Might be hard to find new places for the athletes.

vCash
    London and the Home Counties have a lot of student housing that could potentially be used to accommodate athletes. Security and other logistics, however, would be complicated.

In 1984, at least part of the UCLA campus was used for the athletes village, so this isn't a completely novel idea. I don't think, however, that there's anywhere in London itself that has such a large concentration of student housing.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 05-11-2014 at 03:04 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    London and the Home Counties have a lot of student housing that could potentially be used to accommodate athletes. Security and other logistics, however, would be complicated.

In 1984, at least part of the UCLA campus was used for the athletes village, so this isn't a completely novel idea. I don't think, however, that there's anywhere in London itself that has such a large concentration of student housing.
    The athletes village are in East end (Straford) and majority of the Universities and housing in central and west end of London, the commutation time to venues. The relatively big universities are Queen Mary and Greenwich. However, the idea of students moving out during games is bad for the students, especially if they are international. i would hate such a scenario, and few negative stories and UK universities will have fewer international students coming to study, which will decrease the revenue, lets be fair international students are treated as cash cows.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    However, the idea of students moving out during games is bad for the students, especially if they are international. i would hate such a scenario, and few negative stories and UK universities will have fewer international students coming to study, which will decrease the revenue, lets be fair international students are treated as cash cows.
    What on earth are you talking about?

The Olympics are usually in August, when British universities are not in regular session. Some have their own summer schools, but others rent out space for summer schools, conferences, and tourists.

To be sure, there are foreign students going to these summer sessions, but they usually aren't working toward degrees at those universities.

And if the track and field and swimming events were in Glasgow, the need for athlete housing near Stratford would be greatly reduced.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    What on earth are you talking about?

The Olympics are usually in August, when British universities are not in regular session. Some have their own summer schools, but others rent out space for summer schools, conferences, and tourists.

To be sure, there are foreign students going to these summer sessions, but they usually aren't working toward degrees at those universities.

And if the track and field and swimming events were in Glasgow, the need for athlete housing near Stratford would be greatly reduced.
    What are you talking about, i was a student at Queen Mary, University of London. Uni accommodation at the point allowed only the first year Bachelors, Masters and PhD students accommodation. Even then PhD and Masters stayed back during the so called summer vacation since there is no such thing for them, they still have to hand in their thesis. People who were doing their Bachelors also stayed back and found places outside before moving out, they wanted a buffer period before finding a place. Even then QMUL only has some 2000 rooms available, some of them are not fit for olympic athletes. As far as i can remember it is the largest on sight accommodation in London for any universities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    What are you talking about, i was a student at Queen Mary, University of London. Uni accommodation at the point allowed only the first year Bachelors, Masters and PhD students accommodation. Even then PhD and Masters stayed back during the so called summer vacation since there is no such thing for them, they still have to hand in their thesis. People who were doing their Bachelors also stayed back and found places outside before moving out, they wanted a buffer period before finding a place. Even then QMUL only has some 2000 rooms available, some of them are not fit for olympic athletes. As far as i can remember it is the largest on sight accommodation in London for any universities.
    I'd imagine they wouldn't rely on directly owned university accommodation, it would be the private providers like UNITE or Mansion House. Unite are opening a huge new student block right by the Olympic Park in September - I think it has 2,000 beds in 1 block - and off the top of my head I can think of 4 other 600+ bed blocks in east or central London controlled by Unite alone. Working with those providers would make it fairly easy to get the accommodation without disrupting students too much. They usually give 50 week accommodation contracts - all you'd need to do is shorten contracts for 2015-16 and 2016-17 academic years so the rooms are free over the summer. From my experience as an undergrad, the vast majority of students are perfectly happy not to be paying over the summer for accommodation that they aren't using.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123