Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post

6) Porto Alegre - Completed, test match held in Feb 2014.
    Being declared finished is not the same as "all systems work A OK".

Living in Porto Alegre, Beira Rio is the only venue I can actually discuss.
    The inaugural match, was held during heavy rainfall, which poured through the many cracks of the roof. The elevators weren't working, the water supply was defective, cell phone reception was simply a no go, etc. Those issues are still being being fixed.
    I believe that all of the other stadiums that were opened within the last few months suffered form problems like these.

The areas around the stadium are a mess. The temp structures haven't even began being built. Most of the construction around the city meant to ease traffic will not be even close to being finished. The ones right next to the stadium, which includes a bridge (will look like this, looks like this now) may be ready in time, but it will be a very close call.

This video was made on the occasion of city's anniversary (26th March), and it shows pretty accurately how things are...
    Warning: this features Pharell's "Happy". If you, like me, can't hear it anymore, you've been warned
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Out of curiosity, what IS the protocol for choosing an alternate city?
    It's a two-part process. Part I is described here, and Part II is described here.

I have, however, seen reports of a proposal for an alternative, low-cost version that would not require choosing a different city.

vCash
    I think it's time for the IOC to rethink the entire process. In the post WW II era up to the mid 70s, it was an economic benefit to build a lot of new stuff. Now, not so much.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Yes, when I said 'fully completed' I referred to everything being properly finished and working ok, as per beepbeep's post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    I think it's time for the IOC to rethink the entire process. In the post WW II era up to the mid 70s, it was an economic benefit to build a lot of new stuff. Now, not so much.
    A re-think might be a good idea.

One of the things that the IOC should scrutinize more carefully is what the host city would do with the venues after the Olympics. Los Angeles and London had thought that issue through very carefully before submitting the bid. Almost every venue used in Los Angeles was an existing venue, and most of the ones in London were too. Many of those that weren't, like London's swimming center, were designed to be converted into smaller facilities that could be used for training and smaller-scale competitions. Contrast that with the figure skating and short track venue in Sochi which, just in the period since the bid was accepted, has been intended to be dismantled and moved to another city, converted into a velodome, kept as a skating facility, and, IIRC, used as an exhibition center.

This is difficult thing to include in the bidding process because it means the bidding cities need to plan for what happens after the Games before making the bid (or about nine years in advance), but, as London has shown, it can be done.

vCash
    Sadly IOC doesn't seem to really care about that part. But I think that a detailed and practical long-term legacy plan should be a requirement and should be something taken into consideration when deciding on who gets the Olympics.

vCash
    Maybe they should just have it in one place. Of course, nobody is going to go for that idea unless we create some sort of neutral area that isn't owned by anyone other than the IOC.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Maybe they should just have it in one place. Of course, nobody is going to go for that idea unless we create some sort of neutral area that isn't owned by anyone other than the IOC.
    Back in the 1980's and '90's, Greece kept harping on about how it should be the permanent host of the Summer Olympics. I don't think many people in Greece would support that idea now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I don't think many people in Greece would support that idea now.
    Except, if the structures all stay the same- it is just a revenue source.

The problem with the Olympics is the cost to set them up. Greece has already paid that.

If we hold the winter Olympics in Antartica there might actually be snow.

vCash
    I would actually support several cities across the continents being chosen as Olympic hosts and having the Games rotate through them. I think this would be especially helpful for the Winter Olympics which has a smaller pool of candidate cities naturally due to the requirements it takes to host a Winter Games. It's become such a burden for most cities to build venues and then figure out what to do with them once the Games are over that it makes sense to have 10-12 Olympic cities that can be used repeatedly.

vCash
    10-12 cities would be a lot to rotate through. Assuming you mean 10-12 for both Olympics, that is still 20-24 years between Olympics. Will the venues still be in good shape in that time frame?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    10-12 cities would be a lot to rotate through. Assuming you mean 10-12 for both Olympics, that is still 20-24 years between Olympics. Will the venues still be in good shape in that time frame?
    If the Olympics were to go down this path, the cities chosen would go in knowing they've made a commitment to host the Games several times a century, and I think an important part of the bidding process would include what they would do with those venues in the interim - use them as training facilities (I can see some countries focusing their national sports programs in a chosen city), hosting other sporting events, etc. If the Olympic spirit is indeed a global spirit, I think having multiple host cities to rotate through is a good compromise between the current system and sticking the Olympics in one place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Except, if the structures all stay the same- it is just a revenue source.

The problem with the Olympics is the cost to set them up. Greece has already paid that.
    It's not that simple.

What do you do with the venues for the other three years and eleven months or so when the Games and the Paralympics aren't being staged?

A few examples:

China's Post-Olympic Woe: How To Fill An Empty Nest

These days, a smattering of mostly Chinese tour groups trickles though the stadium. Visitor numbers are in free fall: They plummeted by half in the first six months of 2011 compared with a year before, according to state-run media. The Bird's Nest cost $480 million to build, and its upkeep costs $11 million a year.

But the only international visitors sitting in the stands on a recent day aren't impressed.

"For me, it's just a huge concrete place," says German tourist Christian Lodz. "Personally I think, after four years, it looks a little bit shabby."

"What I think is interesting is that it's just not used for anything useful," says his countryman Henne Zelle, waving at a crane and tarpaulins in the middle of the stadium. "There's a construction zone there, and it's kind of dirty."

The problem is how to fill the empty expanse of seats; the stadium is designed to house 91,000 spectators.

Since the Olympics, a number of tactics have been tried: The construction of man-made ski slopes turned it temporarily into a winter wonderland, and tightrope walker Adili Wuxor spent two months living suspended on a tightrope above the Bird's Nest trying to set a new world record.It's a far cry from the world record set by Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt, who set the mark for the 100 meters and the 200 meters in the packed Bird's Nest. Now, tourists wobble around the same track on Segways, which they hire for just over $20 for 15 minutes.

There's even a small waxworks museum, exhibiting figurines of all the past and present presidents of the International Olympic Committee. When he called Beijing's Olympic venues "beautiful" and "unprecedented," current IOC President Jacques Rogge can hardly have known he would be immortalized in wax inside one of those venues, always photo-ready, should the visitor be willing to part with $1.50 for the privilege.
    By contrast,

zaha hadid: london aquatic center now complete

construction for the ‘london aquatics centre’ for the london 2012 summer olympics by zaha hadid architects is now complete.
    capable of holding 17,500 individuals at one moment, this facility will be the venue for the swimming, diving, synchronized swimming
    and water polo events. sheltering the sports events, athletes and supporters is an aluminum clad steel roof which spans 160 meters
    in length and 90 meters at its widest point. three substantial concrete columns effortlessly support the 3,000 ton sweeping overhead structure.
    zaha hadid opens london aquatics centre to the public

the london 2012 olympics are over, but the legacy continues with the renovation of the aquatics center designed by zaha hadid architects. during the summer olympiad the arena accommodated spectators with removable seating wings. since the games, the structure has been modified to accommodate 2,500 viewers for events such as the FINA/NVC 2014 world diving series and the 2016 european swimming championships. the facility officially opens to the public on march 1, 2014, with swimming and diving lessons and a variety of aquatic activities for people of all ages.
    It would not make economic sense for a host to make two sets of modifications every four years, so the larger seating arrangement and other accommodations for the Olympics would have to be left in place.

Similarly, London's Olympic Stadium had a seating capacity of 80,000 for the Olympics but now has a seating capacity of 25,000.

As for Athens:

Abandoned Venues From The 2004 Athens Olympics

A number of Greek officials admitted to the AFP that there was a lack of planning, and no one considered what they would be used for after the Games.

Despite all that, many of the venues from the 2004 Games are still going strong. The Olympic Stadium, Olympic Village, media center, and a few small-scale sports arenas have all found tenants.

But still, the aquatics center, beach volleyball arena, and softball arena are all literally falling apart. In addition, the massive Helliniko Olympic Complex where many events were held has been abandoned, and is in desperate need of private investors, according to AFP.

The photos of these venues are stunning, and a stern warning to future host cities of the importance of long-term planning.
    There's not much reason to believe that Greece would have been able to afford the upkeep of these venues if it had to host the Games again every four years.

vCash
    What do you do with the venues for the other three years and eleven months or so when the Games and the Paralympics aren't being staged?
    Well, since as you already pointed out- the venues aren't being used for anything worthwhile already- at least now every 4 years they have a purpose. Does the Olympics make enough money for them to be worth it, I don't know. But for some reasons cities are still fighting each other to build NEW buildings every 4 years, so clearly there seems to be some perceived value.

vCash
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...s-9344084.html

London has been secretly asked if it would be able to take over the 2016 Olympics because Brazil is so far behind on preparations, the Evening Standard has learned.

An informal approach was made by Olympics bosses to discover whether enough venues from the triumphant 2012 London Games could be brought back into use.
    I could maybe see it working if as suggested in the article it was split with Glasgow - things like the equestrian events, rowing, volleyball, cycling, gymnastics, boxing, tennis could take place in London as the venues could reasonably easily be made operational again, and swimming & athletics which need the really big venues could use the Commonwealth Games facilities in Glasgow. And they have plenty of golf courses ready to go up there! It's the accommodation that would be the real struggle.

vCash
    If the Games were moved to London and Glasgow but kept on the same dates as currently planned, accommodation would be a big problem for Glasgow (and Scotland). The Edinburgh Festival is on then, which means enormous competition for accommodation. Edinburgh is usually booked solid for the whole month of August, and tourists who arrive without reservations sometimes have to stay as far away as Glasgow as it is. If Glasgow hosts just the swimming and some soccer matches, though, it might be manageable.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Interesting article evaluating potential US bidders for the 2024 Games that looks at many of the questions being asked re Rio - how much needs to be built, how would they use facilities after the Games. etc.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Would be BLOODY IMMENSE if they were moved to London! but can't see it happening - Let's see how much the World Cup is f*cked up first.
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    Would be BLOODY IMMENSE if they were moved to London! but can't see it happening - Let's see how much the World Cup is f*cked up first.
    Well said. All of this.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I thought London was great and wouldn't mind the move. The only downside was the big time difference but it worked out. Rio would be much better for NBC as they can air almost everything live, there is no time difference, really. It is only 1 hour ahead of Eastern time. As a fan, that is always the best but of course what is best for me is the complete opposite for those across the world.

Of course, NBC moved a lot of the big name sports early in the day to accommodate that time difference in London but this would allow them to keep the events later on. It just FEELS wrong to hold a big gymnastics competition at lunch. lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast