18 5.25%
  • Delobel & Schoenfelder

22 6.41%
  • other (specify)

41 11.95%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Most undermarked skater ever

Who do you consider the most undermarked or most wuzrobbed figure skater in history.

vCash
    Drobiazko and Vanagas. When I saw just the title of the thread I immiedately thought about them. It's a pity there was no strong federation behind them.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Good lord Shishkova & Naumov. They got screwed out of a place or two way too many times, and 1996 worlds in the free skate just totally puts the icing on that cake. 4th was beyond crazy, what on earth....

vCash
    Drobiazko and Vanagas, although I have to say the Duchesnays were right up there.

vCash
    Matt Savoie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by belladella View Post
    Matt Savoie.
    Yes!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    Drobiazko and Vanagas, although I have to say the Duchesnays were right up there.
    The Duchensays are one of the most OVERmarked teams of all time. Anytime I hear anyone say they were undermarked I feel like throwing something at the TV screen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frillit View Post
    The Duchensays are one of the most OVERmarked teams of all time. Anytime I hear anyone say they were undermarked I feel like throwing something at the TV screen.
    I'm totally with you !

vCash
    I voted for Drobiazko & Vanagas. Kim would have been my 2nd choice though, and Eldredge my 3rd, just as the poll is so far. Lu Chen would have been my 4th, surprised she has no votes.

vCash
    Klimova-Ponomarenko. IMHO, they were better then BB.
    Moiseeva-Minenkov
    Rahkamo-Kokki
    Orser
    Akiko Suzuki

vCash
    Klimova-Ponomarenko. IMHO, they were better then BB.
    They might have been better, but there's no consensus about it. Still even when they were competing with BB, they achievied very good results. Already in 1984 they had bronze at the Olympics, so calling them most undermarked skaters, is a big exaggeration.
    Last edited by coraczek; 04-28-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: I used the wrong word (consent instead of consensus. Sorry for my English)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    They might have been better, but there's no consent about it
    True, there are some incredibly stupid people who know nothing about ice dance who might think B&B were better. However amongst sane humans there is a consent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    They might have been better, but there's no consent about it. Still even when they were competing with BB, they achievied very good results. Already in 1984 they had bronze at the Olympics, so calling them most undermarked skaters, is a big exaggeration.
    You are right, maybe not most undermarked.
    I am thinkin about Krylova-Ovsynnikok.
    And about Bourne-Kraatz, because they lose FP-M and LA. And in 1998i think they deserv bronze

vCash
    True, there are some incredibly stupid people who know nothing about ice dance who might think B&B were better. However amongst sane humans there is a consent.
    I would be careful about calling other people stupid. Anyway, it doesn't matter what we think, I will never agree that K&P were the most undermarked skaters in the history.

vCash
    You are right, maybe not most undermarked.
    Thanks

vCash
    Moiseeva & Minenkov who first started doing what T&D later did. Linichuk & Karponosov made me want to slit my wrists and I think M&M weren't appreciated nearly enough.

vCash
    I have to go with Shishkova-Naumov. They were undermarked almost throughout their career, and later as pros too.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grassroots39 View Post
    You mean a consensus?

Link, please, to the poll where sane people (certified, I assume, by a panel of psychiatrists) who know ice dance (certified, I assume, by....well, someone) demonstrated this consensus?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frillit View Post
    The Duchensays were undermarked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I have to go with Shishkova-Naumov. They were undermarked almost throughout their career, and later as pros too.
    They can only blame themselves for staying with the Velikovs all those years. Look at who their major rivals were coached by:

Miskutnienok & Dmitriev, Bechke & Petrov, Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze- Tamara Moskvina
    Eltsova & Bushkov- Tamara's husband (they left him at some point but still had connections with him I believe)
    Gordeeva & Grinkov- Marina Zoueva
    Kazhakova & Dmitriev- Tamara Moskinva

Then some of their non USSR rivals:

Kovarikova & Novotny- Irina Rodnina
    Meno & Sand- John Nicks

Basically the only top team they competed against who had a coach with no real political clout as well was Woetzel & Steuer who were coached by the little known Monika Schieb. I have heard even Brasseur & Eisler's coach of the time- Josee Picard, was quite forceful behind the scenes and could sway a surprising number of people. They should have found a way to move to someone, anyone, with some kind of political pull.

One of the reasons Petrova & Sikharulidze split, leading to the Berezhnaya pairing, was Maria wanted to stay with the Velikovs and Anton didnt. He knew they werent going to win anything being coached by them. The only way a team being coached by them will win something is if they skate cleanly in a weak event/splatfest like how Shishkova & Naumov and Petrova & Tikhonov won the 94 and 2000 worlds, and even then no guarantees.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast