Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Are Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze the most underappreciated team ever

By everyone. Judges in the latter part of their career, fans, experts, so underrated.

vCash
    I'm surprised to see you include fans on this list. Not on this board. I think if someone created a poll about the "real" winners in SLC, B&S would win in a landslide.

vCash
    No.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Nah, I'd say the often robbed Shishkova/Naumov were most underappreciated.

vCash
    Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze are in my mind the best pairs team of all time - their 2002 SLC SP was perfect

vCash
    I think that both mentioned pairs are fabulous. Naumov was doing a great job coaching years back. I enjoyed watching his work as a skater and coach.

B&S were in my opinion the last of Moskvina's pairs that really understood Tamara's style and could handle it. Yuko/Alex have not really mastered it but I digress. I loved B&S. Their dominance and unmatched elegance are captivating.

vCash
    nah, I loved them, but I actually would have to say Bechke and Petrov and Kovarikova and Novotny as the most underappreciated. They had some really lovely programs, and I hear nary a word about either pair.

vCash
    No, I think Petrova/Tikhonov should be added to the underappreciated list though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    nah, I loved them, but I actually would have to say Bechke and Petrov and Kovarikova and Novotny as the most underappreciated. They had some really lovely programs, and I hear nary a word about either pair.
    B&P and K&N were not underappreciated. They were inconsistent.

vCash
    I think Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze may have been underappreciated by the judges at the time when Sale/Pelletier were in favor, but in terms of fandom, I find them to be overrated actually. Although I do think they are one of the best pairs of all time, I find people overcompensate for them due to the Pairs scandal. They overstate the brilliance of Meditation which was really a generic Russian classical 6.0 pairs routine. Sure it was difficult and I admire the highlight moves, but overall, I don't think it was a very effective vehicle for them. Other than their SLC SP and their Chaplin LP, I don't know if I'd say any of their routines were exactly memorable. That said, their choreography is way superior to anything I've seen in the past four years and most of what I've seen from pairs since the advent of COP.

Their skating was wonderful and there's much to be admired and should be studied by the pairs of today, but they were inconsistent and sometimes their technique was shaky. Also, their lifts and death spirals were a inferior to Sale/Pelletier's. In fact, I'd say people try really hard to minimize Sale/Pelletier's good qualities which is weird because I thought Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze deserved gold in SLC.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    They were way underrated by judges in 2000-2002, and by skating experts and fans, especialy commentators and skating experts, all the way from the Nagano controversy until their retirement.

vCash
    At the time, I didn't think they were. But now, I believe that they were absolutely under-appreciated - and because of that, we have probably lost an opportunity to see some amazing work from them. Looking back, the 'rivalry' with S&P seems so artificial because the level of skating was simply not the same, IMO. Three things went against B&S. First, everyone was sick of 'Russian domination' and beating 'the Russians' became an obsession. Regardless of how wonderful the Russians were. Second, B&S were forever compared to G&G. That's something no one can live up to. Because of G&G's personal connection more then anything else. And while G&G weren't always perfect, they were perfect at the most opportune times. But people forget the level of difficulty that B&S had to accomplish vs. G&G. With increased difficulty it becomes that much more difficult to be 'perfect'. And third, a lot of fans didn't feel emotionally connected with B&S because of Elena's introverted personality and presentation style. I loved them. But only now I appreciate how amazing they were.

vCash
    My short answer: Yes.

vCash
    They were a gorgeous team and I loved them, but they were headcases (especially Anton)! I felt like the judges wanted to reward them so badly, but they had complete meltdowns at the most important times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    They were a gorgeous team and I loved them, but they were headcases (especially Anton)! I felt like the judges wanted to reward them so badly, but they had complete meltdowns at the most important times.
    IMO Elena had more problems than Anton, if you look at their competitions over the years, and not just the two Olympics. Many of their meltdowns were caused by her mistakes. Anton really had just one mistake in the 98 Olympics and I don't blame him or her in it much because of their inexperience. In 2002 they actually got it done, with one minor mistake in the LP, but by that time the politics were strongly against them, and only a perfect skate to match their Lady Caliph would have helped them, and I am not even sure about that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze may have been underappreciated by the judges at the time when Sale/Pelletier were in favor, but in terms of fandom, I find them to be overrated actually.
    This.
    By reading forums one would think that they are this pair everyone is supposed to be admiring because they are the best of the best and a gold standart and whatnot. As someone who doesn't like their style I always found it irritating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze may have been underappreciated by the judges at the time when Sale/Pelletier were in favor, but in terms of fandom, I find them to be overrated actually. Although I do think they are one of the best pairs of all time, I find people overcompensate for them due to the Pairs scandal. They overstate the brilliance of Meditation which was really a generic Russian classical 6.0 pairs routine. Sure it was difficult and I admire the highlight moves, but overall, I don't think it was a very effective vehicle for them. Other than their SLC SP and their Chaplin LP, I don't know if I'd say any of their routines were exactly memorable. That said, their choreography is way superior to anything I've seen in the past four years and most of what I've seen from pairs since the advent of COP.

Their skating was wonderful and there's much to be admired and should be studied by the pairs of today, but they were inconsistent and sometimes their technique was shaky. Also, their lifts and death spirals were a inferior to Sale/Pelletier's. In fact, I'd say people try really hard to minimize Sale/Pelletier's good qualities which is weird because I thought Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze deserved gold in SLC.
    I agree with much of this and think B/S were largely overrated. They clearly had the judges favour in 98 (Nagano) and only a fall at the end of the LP put them second behind D/K.

There SP in 2002 was truly a masterpiece and their Meditation was beautifully choreographed, but not skated to perfection. I liked their Chaplin better because Elena showed some emotion in that program.

I think the judges favoured them because they were such a beautiful pair and agree that a lot of people have downplayed S/P's good qualities subsequent to SLC.

I miss both B/S and S/P, and S/Z - to me that era of pairs was better than the current one and all three of those pairs pushed each other. V/T haven't reached the level of B/S IMO because they just haven't had the time to really gel as a time. And much as I appreciate S/S, I don't think they quite reached the same artistic level as the other three teams.

The fact that D/R are one of the top pairs speaks volumes about the pairs field today. I mean no offense to them as they are a strong and hard-working pair, but they don't yet compare to other bronze medal contenders of the past, such as S/Z, P/T, Zhangs. Even Takahashi/Tran had more of the 'look' to me. Eric and Megan are just oddly matched physically.

That said, they are fierce competitors and I look forward to seeing their programs next year. The best may be yet to come from them.

vCash
    Sale & Pelletier are easily the most overrated pairs team in history, and nobody else even comes close. They were even winning with major mistakes over clean skates by B&S for awhile. What a joke. So glad they are retired and Volosozhar & Trankov, Berezhaya & Sikharulidze, and even Shen & Zhao and Savcheko & Szolkowy are all way better and greater teams than they are.

How can Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze be overrated when they skated cleanly sometimes and still lost to a majorly inferior pair like Sale & Pelletier with falls and major errors, but when they make a small error and S&P are clean all hell breaks lose. They were clearly favored by the judges at the 98 Olympics as they were by far the best team of that relatively weak field. That isnt being overated or being a judges pet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I agree with much of this and think B/S were largely overrated. They clearly had the judges favour in 98 (Nagano) and only a fall at the end of the LP put them second behind D/K.

There SP in 2002 was truly a masterpiece and their Meditation was beautifully choreographed, but not skated to perfection. I liked their Chaplin better because Elena showed some emotion in that program.

I think the judges favoured them because they were such a beautiful pair and agree that a lot of people have downplayed S/P's good qualities subsequent to SLC.

I miss both B/S and S/P, and S/Z - to me that era of pairs was better than the current one and all three of those pairs pushed each other. V/T haven't reached the level of B/S IMO because they just haven't had the time to really gel as a time. And much as I appreciate S/S, I don't think they quite reached the same artistic level as the other three teams.

The fact that D/R are one of the top pairs speaks volumes about the pairs field today. I mean no offense to them as they are a strong and hard-working pair, but they don't yet compare to other bronze medal contenders of the past, such as S/Z, P/T, Zhangs. Even Takahashi/Tran had more of the 'look' to me. Eric and Megan are just oddly matched physically.

That said, they are fierce competitors and I look forward to seeing their programs next year. The best may be yet to come from them.
    I would rank them:

1. Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze and Voloshzar & Trankov tied
    3. Shen & Zhao
    4. Savchenko & Szolkowy

5. Crybaby Sale & David adultress Pelletier who deserved maybe 20% of their so called wins in their career. One of the most overscored skaters in history.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hirtmoles31 View Post
    By everyone. Judges in the latter part of their career, fans, experts, so underrated.

Of course, they have fan and non-fans, but I don't see how you can say this...
    They won Euros, Worlds, Olympics Gold and Silver, with falls, because they were truly great. And they are still remembered 12 years after they retired.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast