Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Despite success, Yuzuru Hanyu says there is room for improvement

Starting a new thread now that several articles in English have been published:

Associated Press: Despite success, Japan figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu says there is room for improvement
    Excerpt:
    "I need to work hard," Hanyu said on Thursday at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan. "I want to be successful next season and at the Olympics four years from now."

With that in mind, the 19-year-old Hanyu is trying to add more quad jumps and creativity to his routine.

Before he starts training for next season, he'll be honored at a parade in his hometown of Sendai on Saturday. The city was hard hit by the devastating 2011 earthquake and tsunami.
    The Asahi Shimbun: Sochi Olympic champion Hanyu ready for more gold
    “I do not believe that my style has changed, or that the training methods are so different. What has changed is how I’ve been made more aware of what I am doing in my practices and just before I step on the ice in competitions.”
    “I expect my physique to undergo a change by then,” said Hanyu, who is known for his slender form and general disinterest in food. “There will be new skaters ready to take their place in the Games, but I would not call them rivals. Figure skating is not a sport where you go up against other athletes. It is all about conquering yourself and keeping control. In that sense my biggest rival is me.”
    Agence France-Presse: Champion Hanyu braced for new rivals
    "It is difficult for me to talk about the disaster," Hanyu said, wearing the Olympic gold medal around his neck. "But this gold medal is a kind of symbol of hope or a symbol of everyone's support for me. I am really happy if this has become a symbol of our effort toward one goal."

Hanyu said he had yet to decide what kinds of quadruple jumps he would attempt in the run-up to the 2018 Olympics. But he has succeeded in nailing a quadruple loop in training and is working on his quadruple Lutz.
    Originally posted in the Japanese skating news thread in GSD:
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Yuzuru Hanyu is invited to Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan. He's interviewed right now.

ETA:
    It's finished. Here is the link to the recorded video. They have a very good interpreter. The interview starts from around 23:00. Hanyu arrived late because of the traffic jam.
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/46615406
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    Shorter clip is on youtube now. It starts from when he arrived, so it's more convenient.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPz-gDmf44A
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-24-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I'm glad he sees that. At age 19, he still has a few years to grow in physical strength and a lifetime to grow in mental maturity, which will only help his skating.

vCash
    I like his attitude- the gold medal being a symbol for Sendai. It's great that he wants to challenge himself further. In addition to the technical difficulty, I would like to see him develop artistically as well.

vCash
    He is an exceptionally skilled skater and I would really like him to improve his sloppy lines and show more energy in his performances (the 'wilting flower' vibe isn't cutting it for me).

vCash
    Of course there is room for improvement. He is already one of the best ever in term of skating, speed, technique, potential, but his posture is one of the worst, his arms movements are from nowhere and his costumes and choreographies are very questionnable.

vCash
    Maybe next time round he will only fall once

vCash
    I don't mind his arms movments but I question his fashion sense. He looks quite normal off-ice, isn't he? Nothing he wears looks riciculous, YET on the ice why does he has to wear those things? Johnny Weir! I am sorry but please stick to fashioning yourself only.

Anyways, now that I have suffered so many wtf choreographies, David Wilson is not that bad, his choreographies recently are jus so so but not disaster. I don't expect David Wilson for a masterpiece. Unless next season he works like there is no tomorrow and Yuzuru performs that choreography with fearless. But again, I hope Yuzuru changes his LP choreographer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Of course there is room for improvement. He is already one of the best ever in term of skating, speed, technique, potential, but his posture is one of the worst, his arms movements are from nowhere and his costumes and choreographies are very questionnable.
    And this is a very good example for why anchoring the marks prevents the judges from reflecting accurately what is being performed on the ice.

There is a lot that Hanyu really excels at but his posture and lines are very poor and he should be deducted on PE somewhat for that.

vCash
    He said in an interview after the Worlds he felt something was lacking in his performance. He mentioned posture and emotion that comes out from inside his body. He said he wanted to learn ballet. He said in another TV interview maybe now is the time to polish himself. Orser said in an interview they will try various choreographies for him for next season. I think one of Hanyu's strengths lies in his ability to perceive himself objectively. And he always watches other skaters carefully even from their warm-ups in shows, hunting for hints he can learn from them.
    Last edited by galaxy; 04-26-2014 at 11:37 AM.

vCash
    I love his humility!

vCash
    Copying over these Hanyu-specific items from the Japanese news thread:

Re: Hanyu
    He is busy everyday. I hope he gets some rest.

On the day rosewood posted in #54, he also visited his university Waseda and met with the president.
    http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2139832985340635101
    http://waseda-sports.jp/news/36138/
    http://wasedasports.com/news/20140424_13217/

He also visited Tokyo main office of Yomiuri Shimbun, one of 3 major newspapers of Japan.
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/photograph/...424-OYT1I50045
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/20...YT1T50230.html

Then he went to Haneda Airport to attend ANA's event and helped debut and introduce their new ca uniforms to the media. In one of the clips shows after he finished his role, he rushed to a car and jumped in to head for Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan.
    https://ja-jp.facebook.com/photo.php...type=2&theater
    https://ja-jp.facebook.com/photo.php...type=2&theater

Yesterday he visited the prime minister's official residence with other Olympians.
    He also attended JSF's award and celebration event and received JOC Trophy = award for the best athlete of the year.
    http://photo.sankei.jp.msn.com/highl...04/25/33hanyu/
    Another show news. It's a show dedicated to Hanyu's OGM.

Together on Ice http://skate-sendai.com/

date/city
    June 13,14/Sendai

cast:
    Yuzuru Hanyu
    Takeshi Honda
    Yamato Tamura
    Javier Fernandez
    Tomas Verner
    Skaters from Ice Rink Sendai

musicians:
    Monkey Majik
    Rake
    Pandalion
    Breathe

Congrats to Hanyu to have his own show! Also yey! for older skaters from Sendai, Takeshi and Yamato
    Right now, Hanyu is appearing in the victory parade in his hometown Sendai.
    It's spectacular to see over 100,000 people on the road.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmH3w2_CUAE0Nnt.jpg
    http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmHyX6-CUAETQmm.jpg

I'm sure his victory encouraged/inspired people there including the Great Earthquakes and Tsunami victims.

And yes, galaxy, hope he'll take a rest after these official evens finished..
    WOW, look at the number of people who came out to cheer him in Sendai!! Thank you, galaxy and rosewood, for finding/sharing all these links!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-26-2014 at 05:37 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    He is known to have a DISINTEREST IN FOOD??? From what universe does this alien come?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    He is known to have a DISINTEREST IN FOOD??? From what universe does this alien come?
    He said eating is business and he doesn't like it. Why can't I be like that? Could he transfer that disinterest in food to me? I want to lose at least 5kg.

vCash
    I hope that going forward he can cut the late-program drama and put his energy into something useful such as upping the performance level. It's getting a little silly seeing him skate the back half/end of his freeskates as though he broke his leg in the middle but guts took him through to the finish and he finally keels over one last time in pain at the ending pose. Even worse is his reaction in getting up from falls (but I concede he was much better with that this season). Drama drama drama.

Otherwise if he improved his posture then he could be wonderful (or if he made smarter costume choices). His SP costume is perfect for him and masks his shortcomings in the carriage/posture department, but his fitted FS costume only serves to exacerbate his weakness. In his case, costume makes all the difference.

vCash
    Here's the glimpse of the victory parade. Yesterday it was said 10,000 but today it was corrected to be 92,000 people were there to see the victory parade, well, Japanese people are precise in nature. How did they count such many people. lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaNYfxCZPnA

In the beginning of the video, Hanyu made a thank-you speech. "I'm very honored to see such a big crowd come to see the victory parade. I couldn't even dream of winning OGM. (...chacked...) Hope I could remind many people of the affected area Sendai, Miyagi pref, by winning the medal," he said.

ETA:
    He's really busy in this off season again. Well, he's been very busy with shows even after loosing his base rink in Sendai becase of the disaster. Wish he'll stay healthy and take a rest before the intensive preparation for the next season starts.
    Coming shows confirmed so far.
    May 10,11 Prince Ice World in Hachinohe
    June 7,8 Fantasy on Ice 2014 in Tokyo
    June 13,14 Together on Ice(his victory show) in Sendai
    June 21,22 Beppu Figure Skating Exhibition in Beppu
    June 27-29 Dreams on Ice in Shinyokohama
    July 5,6 Fantasy on Ice 2014 in Toyama
    July 12,13 Fantasy on Ice 2014 in Niigata
    Last edited by rosewood; 04-27-2014 at 04:18 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    I hope that going forward he can cut the late-program drama and put his energy into something useful such as upping the performance level. It's getting a little silly seeing him skate the back half/end of his freeskates as though he broke his leg in the middle but guts took him through to the finish and he finally keels over one last time in pain at the ending pose. Even worse is his reaction in getting up from falls (but I concede he was much better with that this season). Drama drama drama.

Otherwise if he improved his posture then he could be wonderful (or if he made smarter costume choices). His SP costume is perfect for him and masks his shortcomings in the carriage/posture department, but his fitted FS costume only serves to exacerbate his weakness. In his case, costume makes all the difference.
    I think his posture and stamina issues partly come from his asthma and weak breathing ability. I was shocked when I found his asthma is more serious than it looks. It started when he was 2 years old. He still takes pills twice a day. He carries an inhaler with him everywhere he goes. Everytime he skates, in shows and competitions, we see small patches on his shoulders, chest and back of his neck.
    They are okibari in Japanese, a kind of acupuncture needles are under patches to soften his lungs' muscles. He wears these patches when he sleeps too. When he first moved to Canada, because of environmental changes, his asthma got worse and it affected his training. (September 2012) He lost weights and became even thinner. His 2012-2013 season started like this. And the previous year the Great East Japan Earthquake occurred.
    He wears a mask during his training in order to strengthen his breathing ability. It was his idea.

About his FP costumes (NDP and RJ2) I don't care for them either. They distract me from concentrating on the programs. I prefer his RJ1 costume much. When he appeared on the ice in that costume we could immediately know he was going to be Romeo. However, it seems he was the one who chose these costumes. I don't think he cares much about his daily clothes. He just wears what his mother buys for him and when it is necessary, his mother cuts his hair. But from what I heard and read he has quite a few says about his costumes. One of his idols was Johnny Weir along with Plush and later Chan. Yuzuru is a supersticious boy and seems to believe his lucky colors are pink and green. So we see pink and green stones on his RJ2 costume. As long as he likes the costumes and is satisfied with them, and getting good results, what can we do? He doesn't do SM and Orser tells his students not to read forums, especially Yuzuru.

vCash
    Re-posting from the Japan news thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Hanyu is aiming for four different quad jumps
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000292-sph-spo

He says "in future" not "in next season", but the new rules could bring a new incentive.
    Google Translate seems to indicate that Hanyu is starting the choreography of his new FS in Toronto now? "It is expected to stay about 2-3 weeks, to return home in early June for the ice show appearance [see post #15 above], which will be held in different parts of the country."

ETA:
    June 13,14 Together on Ice(his victory show) in Sendai
    http://skate-sendai.com/skater.html
    Skaters invited to Japan: Fernandez, Verner, Weir.

ETA #2 (rosewood's translation of the article was posted in the Japan news thread):
    It's a little earlier than I expected; I thought he could work on his new programs with the choreographers after ISU congress finished, and also Shae-Lynn Bourne said in S Korea that she'll choreograph his and Wagner's long programs in two month when she skated in Kim's show(May 4-6). BTW she also said that she'll work as a choreographer for Arakawa's show 'Friend on Ice' in July.http://xportsnews.hankyung.com/?ac=a...ntry_id=445874

However someone posted on twitter that in PIW show last week Hanyu said to one of his fans something like he had not informed of the things Shae-Lynn Bourne said in S Korea. So I wonder if Ashley may work on her new program with Boune earlier than Bourne mentioned as well.

As for this article I have to say it's kind of exaggerating one. As NMURA mentioned in his/her post, Hanyu said in interviews he was working on 4Lo(and he nailed one in the finale of the one of the shows in this spring) but he did not have a plan to include 4Lo in the programs for next season. He said he'll talk with his team in Canada, his team will more focus on building up good programs than on challenging more difficult elements.

(my rough translation)
    Hanyu will aim at four different quad jumps! He left for Canad where he trains.

On May 14th men's figure skating gold medalist in Sochi Olympics Yuzuru Hanyu(19, ANA) left Narita airport for Toronto, Canada where he trains under Brian Orser(52). As an Olympic champion he's going to work on his new season's programs with choreographers.

After skating in ice show in Aomori prefecture, which was held till May 11th, he took a two days rest at his house in Sendai city, Miyagi prefecture. He made a new start after the very shot break. As he said earlier he's "willing to do various different jumps in the future" aiming at "challenging and improving", he may try four different quad jumps. Adding to 4T and 4S which he did in Olympics he'll aim at acquiring 4Lo and 4Lz.

In the next season new rules allow skaters to skate to vocal musics. Also there are new rules which reduce base value of the jump to 70% if the skater was given an edge violation call. We can expect a new program from him, which has vocals and four different quad jumps. He'll stay in Toronto for a few weeks and then come back to Japan in the beginning of June to skate in ice shows across this country.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-17-2014 at 03:10 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post

Really harsh comments. Yuzuru has asthma. The visible effort it takes for him to get through LPs is not because of fake drama but because he's struggling for breath and stamina. Considering his condition, I think he does amazingly well. Same with Charlie White.

What impresses me most about Hanyu is his courage and tenacity. He always puts it out there; he never seems to give up on a performance. Yes he did fall twice in the Sochi LP, but you know, he kept going for jumps and landing them. He didn't fold, the way most guys would've. The kid has courage and drive. Could he use more polishing?
    Absolutely. I look forward to the skater he will be in 2018.

vCash
    Yuzuru's slenderness is what helps him with his quad rotations.

I don't think he'll ever "buff up" to have a Max Aaron or Javier Fernandez-type physique, but I think adding some muscle will help with his posture and stamina.

He's still very young and has great potential; I'd love to see himself with much better free skates. Break away from the Johnny Weir-type music because it's

vCash
    Bumping this thread up for Hanyu's show: "June 13,14 Together on Ice(his victory show) in Sendai": http://skate-sendai.com/index.html

Latest Hanyu updates that were posted in the Japan general news thread:
    Hanyu is in Japan now to perform in FaOI Makuhari this weekend. He'll be doing shows every weekend from now to mid July. He attended JOC ceremony this afternoon and was awarded JOC Sports Award. He was honored as the most excellent athlete of the year.

http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2038293/full/
    http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/photo/2038293/2/
    http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/photo/2038293/4/
    http://sankei.jp.msn.com/images/news...9330019-p1.jpg
    Videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAKxA4lSOv0#t=10
    http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2014...038771000.html
    He said, "I feel really honored. I want to work harder, want to persue my skating so I can receive this award again this year." (summary)
    rosewood posted this May 30th tweet: https://twitter.com/shaelynnbourne/s...914176/photo/1
    Had a fabulous week working on #yuzuruhanyu Long program choreography @thegraniteclub What a sweet soul!
    According to this article, Jeffrey Buttle choreographed Hanyu's SP. He will show his new program at DOI, June 27-29. (It doesn't say which one though.)
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000248-sph-spo
    Fantasy on Ice in Makahari show thread with videos: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...uhari-June-7-8
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-12-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast