Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Daisuke Takahashi to take hiatus - Japan Times article

Japan Times article

OSAKA—Daisuke Takahashi will take a year off from figure skating and decide whether he wants to continue a career that has taken him to three Winter Olympics.

“I want to think it over for a year. I will not take part in any competitions next season,” the 28-year-old Takahashi said following a ceremony Monday honoring him and others at Kansai University in Suita, Osaka Prefecture.

Takahashi, who won the silver medal at the 2010 Vancouver Games to become Japan’s first male Olympic medalist in the sport, competed in his third straight Olympics at the Sochi Games last February.

Although he finished sixth in what he said would be his last Olympics, he withdrew from the ISU World Championships the following month because of a right leg injury that has plagued him since last year.

“I’ve only started practicing again about a month ago,” Takahashi said. “I don’t think I could be ready for the season, so I thought it would be best if I took a break and got away for a while.”

Whole article
    Support Daisuke, join Daisuke Takahashi Road to Sochi

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ostile17 View Post
    Japan Times article

Takahashi, who won the silver medal at the 2010 Vancouver Games to become Japan’s first male Olympic medalist in the sport, . . .
    Whole article
    Say whaaa??? LOL, I guess dear Evgeni can't have the platinum AND the silver medal.

vCash
    Nitpicky correction : This article is from The Japan News (The Yomiuri Shimbun), not the Japan Times.

rosewood's translations on this topic can be read in this GSD thread: Interview with Takahashi, Oda and Machida at Kansai University

ETA that the blurb published in the Japan Times correctly identifies Takahashi as an "Olympic bronze medalist."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-23-2014 at 11:08 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Say whaaa??? LOL, I guess dear Evgeni can't have the platinum AND the silver medal.
    I just thought Jack Gallagher of anti-Japan Times published another crappy article since OP posted that it was "Japan Times aritcle". But the truth is it is 'Japan News' article by Yomiurishinbun of Japan. I found the original article in Japanese and the article says Takahashi won Bronze medal in Vancouver Olys. So it's a mistake in translation.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/etc/...YT1T50088.html
    高橋は五輪に3大会連続出場し、バンクーバー大会で日本男子初のメダルとなる銅メダルを獲得。

vCash
    Japan Times article

OSAKA—Daisuke Takahashi will take a year off from figure skating and decide whether he wants to continue a career that has taken him to three Winter Olympics.

“I want to think it over for a year. I will not take part in any competitions next season,” the 28-year-old Takahashi said following a ceremony Monday honoring him and others at Kansai University in Suita, Osaka Prefecture.

Takahashi, who won the silver medal at the 2010 Vancouver Games to become Japan’s first male Olympic medalist in the sport, competed in his third straight Olympics at the Sochi Games last February.

Although he finished sixth in what he said would be his last Olympics, he withdrew from the ISU World Championships the following month because of a right leg injury that has plagued him since last year.

“I’ve only started practicing again about a month ago,” Takahashi said. “I don’t think I could be ready for the season, so I thought it would be best if I took a break and got away for a while.”

Whole article
    It seems US media are not the only ones that make such obvious mistakes in writing about FS. Takahashi did not win silver in Vancouver (Plushenko did); he won the bronze.

vCash
    I am reading this as retirement in all but name.

His injury problems seem serious and chronic and he never really had a consistent quad in the first place. I am afraid that the time has come.

Quad schmod but as far as presentation is concerned, few skaters ever showed the quality he did. His "The Eye" SP is one of my favourite figure skating programs ever. And proof that you can skate to the music, entertain the public *and* satisfy the level requirements at the same time in step sequences. Both of them were just mindblowingly awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    It seems US media are not the only ones that make such obvious mistakes in writing about FS. Takahashi did not win silver in Vancouver (Plushenko did); he won the bronze.
    In my alternate reality, he won PLATINUM!

vCash
    Daisuke is an amazing artist on the ice. I am sure he can get many shows to perform in, particularly in Japan. He is a born showman.

vCash
    I will miss him so much.

vCash
    I stand firm in my demand that Daisuke form an ice dance team with Akiko.

vCash
    That'd be great, but I think the only person that Dai would ever do ice dance for is Meryl Davis

vCash
    It would be great, with either of Meryl or Akiko. Love to see in the shows in future.

Me also thinks Daisuke is a born showman. But I once heard he prefers working backstages such as a choreographer/coach to a pro-skater. I assume it is one of the reasons why he doesn't have his crown named show. Of course there are too many shows in Japan even now so it's difficult for anyone to start a new show. But still...he has such a big fandom. He proposed and works as a kinda insideman of the show but it's a charity one so a bit different from a beneficial show I'm talking about.

vCash
    Although there isn't an official announcement yet, Daisuke appeared as a surprise guest at a fan meeting of Prince Ice World show in Yokohama today, and confirmed that he will take part in Prince Ice World Tokyo that will be held from 18th July to 21st July.

According to a fan's report, since it's after a long break, he said his new program will be a slow and "body-friendly" one, and not an up-tempo one like Mambo.

Can't wait to see that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    It would be great, with either of Meryl or Akiko. Love to see in the shows in future.

Me also thinks Daisuke is a born showman. But I once heard he prefers working backstages such as a choreographer/coach to a pro-skater. I assume it is one of the reasons why he doesn't have his crown named show. Of course there are too many shows in Japan even now so it's difficult for anyone to start a new show. But still...he has such a big fandom. He proposed and works as a kinda insideman of the show but it's a charity one so a bit different from a beneficial show I'm talking about.
    As you may know, during his homecoming celebration in Okayama, he mentioned that he would like to start a show in Kurashiki, also inviting skaters from abroad.
    Miss Arakawa hinted to him last year that she would not have been able to carry on doing Friends on Ice for ever, and she suggested that he would take her place. Now she announced she is pregnant and she's taking some time off, and many people imagine Daisuke will be more involved in the show this time.
    Of course all remains to be seen, but he may have a couple of chances if he feels up to it and if he's interested.

vCash
    Does Takahashi plan to stay involved in skating as a coach/choreographer? Did he say anything about that in interviews?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Does Takahashi plan to stay involved in skating as a coach/choreographer? Did he say anything about that in interviews?
    I don't remember him saying anything about this in recent interviews. Back in the days he mentioned he would like to start a skating school and give back to the figure skating world.
    He once said he doesn't think he would make a good choreographer.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I don't like all these "established" skaters being lackadaisical, and only showing up for the big events. I will now coin it "The Yuna Syndrome". Not just Dai, Kostner and now Mao are also being infected by it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FileYourBlades View Post
    I don't like all these "established" skaters being lackadaisical, and only showing up for the big events. I will now coin it "The Yuna Syndrome". Not just Dai, Kostner and now Mao are also being infected by it.
    I don't think they are being "lackadaisical". It's only natural that skaters who have already been in the sport for many years, and have had many successes need time to think about whether they really want to continue and why. Plus those established and older skaters have had many injuries and/or chronic conditions in most cases, which means that they need more time to take care about their health and return to a semi healthy condition that would allow them to train properly and compete without huge problems and risks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FileYourBlades View Post
    Good, this ray of sunshine has been banned.

vCash
    Takahashi will skate in Denis Ten's show in Kazakhstan (May 29-30 in Almaty, June 1 in Astana) - event thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...en-amp-Friends

ETA:
    As you may know, during his homecoming celebration in Okayama, he mentioned that he would like to start a show in Kurashiki, also inviting skaters from abroad.
    Miss Arakawa hinted to him last year that she would not have been able to carry on doing Friends on Ice for ever, and she suggested that he would take her place. Now she announced she is pregnant and she's taking some time off, and many people imagine Daisuke will be more involved in the show this time.
    Of course all remains to be seen, but he may have a couple of chances if he feels up to it and if he's interested.
    This year's "Friends on Ice" show dates are August 22-24, 2014: http://www.friendsonice.com
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-08-2014 at 05:59 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'd rather see him announce a sabattical than announce a retirement. I can certainly see why he feels the need for a break. It's just too bad that those of us in North America won't see much of him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast