Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

vCash
    Glasgow! I would soooo be down for that! I adore Scotland!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I'm going to be singing "Super Trouper" all afternoon now.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    So Scotland is bidding for this or GBR ? , so what happens to NISA if Scotland becomes another country?
    I do hope Scotland doesn't vote to break up the Union, would there even be a TeamGB? However there is sk8scotland http://www.sk8scotland.org.uk/ affiliated to NISA which I am sure is more than capable of running the event
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    I do hope Scotland doesn't vote to break up the Union, would there even be a TeamGB? However there is sk8scotland http://www.sk8scotland.org.uk/ affiliated to NISA which I am sure is more than capable of running the event
    That may be the case, but the way Sheffield was run would be independent of this, unless the Scottish affiliate was heavily involved.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    Good grief, just another reason why we need to vote NO in the referendum then! I'm so excited to see we're making a bid for this - having Worlds in Scotland would be an absolute dream!

vCash
    Can someone explain the Scotland situation?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Can someone explain the Scotland situation?
    Scotland is having a referendum to determine if they will split from the UK. They would become their own country. They will decide in September.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Scotland is having a referendum to determine if they will split from the UK. They would become their own country. They will decide in September.
    Holy moly! I'm so out of the loop.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    From what I've been told it will shift the politics drastically if there's a split, and that lefties in England will feel like lefties in the US during Bush-the-younger years.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    From what I've been told it will shift the politics drastically if there's a split, and that lefties in England will feel like lefties in the US during Bush-the-younger years.
    It's all anybody's talking about here at the moment. The idea that we'd go it alone frankly scares me but I know plenty of people who are planning to vote yes in the referendum. My own family is totally split on how to vote - it's a very personal thing. The political situation in Scotland is that we have our own government which deals with most of our political matters but the UK government still deals with other matters for example foreign policy, the armed forces etc. The current political party in charge of the UK (the Conservatives) barely gets any votes from Scotland and so the argument is, why should we be governed by a party that we didn't vote for? If we were to become independent, the Conservatives would have barely any votes and it would be up to the SNP and Labour to fight it out for control.

The referendum is being held in September and after that I guess we'll see what happens!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
    ... but I know plenty of people who are planning to vote yes in the referendum.
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I'm going to be singing "Super Trouper" all afternoon now.
    It is a good song to sing.
    But I still vote Helsinki, even though Glasgow would be ok, too. Sochi and Stockholm no, the latter mostly because they will have the next Europeans there.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    It would be very entertaining if there could be a "Glasgow Kiss & Cry".
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    any idea when the bid will be awarded? is it scheduled for the dublin meeting?

vCash
    http://www.aroundtherings.com/site/A...7/292/Articles
    NISA has submitted a bid in partnership with Glasgow City Council, Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, EventScotland and UK Sport to host the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017 in Glasgow. This strong partnership is built on a wealth of major event experience and a passion for ice skating.

A decision by the International Skating Union (ISU) is expected to be made after the organisation’s congress taking place in Dublin from 9 to 13 June.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I agree with Allezfred that Olympics are not a good indicator of worlds crowds. Nevertheless at times the crowds were obnoxious. Anna Sidarova, skip of the Russian curling team, complained about the Russian crowds and asked them to show some class. Big part of the issue is lack of knowledge of the sport(s) and etiquette.

I'd be surprised if Russia did NOT bid for 2017. They are no dummies. They saw how their Olympic team was decimated in London worlds and how Canada's team became stacked. Given that Korea will be a less political (ie up for grabs) Olympics I can't see Russian Federation bypassing the opportunity to maximize Olympic team size. I think if they bid they will find a way to get it.

Glasgow. Totally. Would love to see them get it.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678