Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Prick Admin
    vCash
    Politics aside, Sochi is a pain in the ass and expensive to get to from practically anywhere in the world besides Russia.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    But we are talking about Worlds, not the Olympics. Are there any standards in place that host countries of Worlds should theoretically be held to? If so, what are they?
    I don't see why we can't simply use the standards put forth by the UN or EU. However, if that's too much then maybe the ISU and other federations recognized by the IOC should follow the IOC's Olympic charter in terms of non-discrimination and the recognition of rights. As we've seen, it wouldn't be too burdensome as the IOC feels free to ignore it. If the ISU wants to lift those standards even higher, then I wouldn't mind. Or maybe since the ISU is under the jurisdiction of Switzerland according to their constitution, maybe it should then follow what the Swiss do. Switzerland tends to rank high in terms of human rights (such as having a constitutional ban on discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation).

Of course the ISU has no standards or an explicit non-discrimination policy in its constitution. It's objectives are to promote figure skating/speed skating and get as many countries to become members of the ISU. So even if the country turned to be Nazi Germany or Uganda, giving those countries membership wouldn't go against the ISU's constitution theoretically. I think most people would have a problem if Uganda (with the promotion of the right to kill gay people law) was hosting Worlds (let's use our imagination and pretend there's an arena with an ice rink there).

There is some language here:
    The ISU shall ensure that the interests of all Members areobserved and respected (see also Article 7).
    However, that probably only means the interests in regards to figure skating, speed skating, and proper representation within the ISU. If it went beyond that, then I'm sure Georgia and Ukraine could argue that it's interests were not observed and respected if Sochi were given Worlds. However, it probably does not go anywhere near there.

Basically, no point of view please.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    i expect speedy and co. will vote for sochi..

vCash
    There was no practice ice during the Olympics. If that doesn't change, I think it is a good reason not to give Sochi Worlds. It was a huge inconvenience to the athletes - some of the ladies from Europe who competed in the team event went home to practice, others flew to Germany.
    There was. They had ice time. They also had 2 weeks between the competitions and no reason to stay there. There were 2 practice rinks - one for ST and one for figure skating. Same size, different ice quality. The fact the unacreddited press was not allowed there doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Generally I have a bad feeling about Sochi. In part because of the anti-gay law, in part because of the damage the Olympics caused the city and the people kicked out of their homes.
    Some of the gay FSUer were there. Dunno, was it bad?
    The other damage is already done. Not using the facilities will not reverse it. They might as well have some events and boost their business.
    And the stray dogs being killed broke my heart. I'm sure it has happened in other countries as well - seem to remember it happening in Greece - but I wasn't so aware of it.
    Again, we have no idea whether it's true. There were SO many dogs on the streets I don't believe they were killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Let's have Worlds in Israel !!!!!!
    Everyone can stay with me !! XD
    Sure. Do you have 2 Olympic size ice rinks? Oh... right...

In the mean while Mutko (Russian sports minister) spoke to Rsport
    Process of biding for a big event is explained in the law book. Some are rushing into things and then tell the tales.
    The minister explained Sochi is to host a 2017 bobsleigh worlds, some of the football games, Formula 1 grand prix.
    `Should Gorshkov want to hold the Worlds in the Figure skating Federation expense only we don't mind. We will look into the proposition, just that there is no hurry. The standard procedure is to apply to the ministery of sport. We have to learn the situation and the financial state.
    We are fully booked till 2021'

Sounds like an ego fight between Gorshkov and Mutko to me...

All that said I hope Helsinki get the competition.

vCash
    I know Croatian skating federation begs for Worlds. But I have no idea how to accommodate all those people.... The amount of reporters that arrived for Yu na KIM was overwhelming for poor Dom Sportova... Maybe in new multi purpose Arena? I am just not sure we can afford it.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    ‘Urgent’ Need to Improve Sochi Olympic Legacy Plans - Audit Chamber
    http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20140423/743586888.html
    MOSCOW, April 23 (R-Sport) - There is an “urgent” need to improve the legacy plans for the Winter Olympic venues in Sochi and halt an exodus of skilled staff, a director of the Russian state Audit Chamber said Wednesday.
    On Tuesday, the Russian Figure Skating Federation said it had bid to host the 2017 world championships at Sochi’s Iceberg Skating Palace. Plans to move that arena elsewhere or turn it into a velodrome appear to have been shelved.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    I hope that Helsinki, Finland gets them.
    So do I!!! Much better choice than the corrupt Russia, which I hope won´t get ANY major competitions for a long, long time...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Sure. Do you have 2 Olympic size ice rinks? Oh... right...
    Well, i was being funny, But if you're gonna take it seriously,

Yes, There are three

Kinda far apart though

i expect speedy and co. will vote for sochi..
    Sounds about right
    Last edited by Eladola; 04-23-2014 at 08:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    Helsinki is in the running.
    Even though the nationalism of the Russian audience at the Olympics was quite over the top, it would be a different audience for Worlds. At least when is was in CoR 2012, GPF 2012, and Worlds 2005, the Russaon audience appreciated good skaters despite their nationality.

I am just surprised because I thought that they are going to move the Iceberg Arena from Sochi.
    Nope, it's being left there. The only ones getting moved are the ugly ones-- Shayba and Ice Cube.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Well, i was being funny, But if you're gonna take it seriously,

Yes, There are three

Kinda far apart though
    2 actually.8 hours away one from the other...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    2 actually.8 hours away one from the other...
    Yup, But Nokia hall in Tel aviv has the capacity of being turned into an Olympic size ice surface with many seats.

Same goes for "Beitan 1" in north tel aviv come to think of it, Much like was done at the "Syma" in Budapest.

I love how this is becoming a conversation
    Last edited by Eladola; 04-23-2014 at 10:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Bottom line: Future Worlds will be allotted to the countries that can afford to host them (how quickly can UAE be ready? ).

Refer to ISU Rule 137 H. Expenses, 9-16 ISU Championships (pages 137-140): http://static.isu.org/media/79153/20...egulations.pdf
    I feel so dirty even thinking this and it's totally hypocritical but for figure skating's development benefit, we really need an oil-rich sheikh's child/grandchild to watch Disney's "Ice Princess," add Brown's "Riverdance FS" to their favourites on YouTube and get their daddy/granddad to build a Svarovski-crystal encrusted ice rink designed by Zaha Hadid, where the seventh GP event as well as numerous other international competitions and shows will be held regularly. Blood money FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Let's have it in West Bank.
    And make sure that *at least* 17 Palestinian homes have been bulldozed in order to build the ice rink.

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Anyway, why are people so bent out of shape when politics enter a discussion? It's such a big part of everything we do that it's ridiculous to think you can't consider political reasons, especially when picking a country (countries' boundaries are all determined by geography and politics) to host an event where people of all types want to attend.
    Because some people don't want to feel upset by acknowledging the (grim) reality which would make them feel powerless or even guilty?

You can't really put 'politics' in a box and on a bottom shelf, away from your eye-sight. It affects everything that we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Because, nobody knows for sure what really happens there, including Ukraine events. We can only see the news, and they are sooo different from each other, depending of the country's policy. The only way to be a little closer to the truth is to talk to people who live in that place or actually go there. And you still won't know the whole truth - so yes, I kinda prefer discussing things that are not as full of lie as politics.
    Following this logic, you wouldn't be able to discuss anything, ever.

Because when you read anything that has ever been written about any subject, you are reading a view of a person, who comes from a specific culture and has specific views, which obviously impact how that person perceives the world. And who knows, they might be lying. And how can you know for sure anyway, if you haven't done if yourself. How can you tell me that your stomach is filled with gastric acid, which digests the food that you eat. Have you cut somebody's stomach open, drained it and did a chemical analysis to confirm it? (etc. etc. etc.)
    Last edited by Ziggy; 04-25-2014 at 01:54 AM.

vCash
    [QUOTE=allezfred;4246300]There was a practice rink. I saw video footage of it. Practices in the main rink were limited during the Olympics because it was also the venue for short-track.

There was indeed a practice rink in Sochi which was about 5 minutes walk from the Iceberg Palace.

vCash
    TAHbKA is right. There were many, many dogs in Sochi so it is hard to believe the reports of them being killed off. And they were all friendly as far as I found. Good news for some of them: http://www.globalanimal.org/2014/04/...ly-ever-after/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gofigure View Post
    TAHbKA is right. There were many, many dogs in Sochi so it is hard to believe the reports of them being killed off. And they were all friendly as far as I found. Good news for some of them: http://www.globalanimal.org/2014/04/...ly-ever-after/
    Sochi is hardly the only sporting venue with stray dog problems.

Bruno Senna was sent death threats by PETA after hitting and killing a stray dog while racing GP2 in Turkey. Given that he was going 200+kph at the time and the dog ran out in front of him, I don't see how he was supposed to avoid it, but I rather think PETA missed the point - he was swearing about the dogs on the track afterwards because hitting anything in a formula car has the potential to be lethal to the driver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gofigure View Post
    I am sure there are still dogs in Sochi, but that doesn't mean that they didn't get rid of some of them.

I don't know anything about the story other than what I saw on the news here in North America, but it gave viewers a bad impression of the situation.

vCash
    Just give the chances to other cities please.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    I am sure there are still dogs in Sochi, but that doesn't mean that they didn't get rid of some of them.

I don't know anything about the story other than what I saw on the news here in North America, but it gave viewers a bad impression of the situation.
    Sochi games are over and they still have stray dogs in the city, which is not the case with many western cities, what happens to dogs in these cities ?, what happens to dogs kept in shelter homes are they all taken care of till they die a natural death ?; personally humans should not harm any animals and killing them and eating them is just evil

Sochi problems with dogs will very much pale in comparison with Pyeongchang's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Sochi problems with dogs will very much pale in comparison with Pyeongchang's.
    Are you saying what I think you're saying?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Until the Russian federation promises to enforce a "no vuvuzuelas" in the rink policy, they should NOT be allowed to host a World Championships.

That said, if Russia is awarded another Worlds, why not in Moscow, where there are a lot of knowledgeable skating fans, where it is easy to get to, at least from the rest of Europe, unlike Sochi.

But I'd rather see Worlds in Barcelona, Helsinki, Australia, etc. in short, somewhere that hasn't had a big event recently.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast