Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    I don't see why not. Figure skating seems very popular in Russia right now. Aside from the Olympic crowd, the crowds in Russia have generally been fine
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    I did some googling, and they really had planned to either make it to a bicycling velodrome or move it to another country. Looks like the plans will be changed now, or they will be using Boshoi Ice Dome if Sochi gets the 2017 Worlds.

The thing I did not like in Iceberg was the stupid railings at the upper section, which blocked the way quite badly. Otherwise, it was an ok arena for the audience (f.ex. enough restrooms). The skaters both in GPF and Olys liked their facilities very much.

But I still vote Helsinki.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    I hope that Helsinki, Finland gets them.
    Please! Please let this happen!

vCash
    I know that following a very successful and packed Euros 2012 held in Sheffield, UK, the intention at the time was to aim for Worlds 2017 (earliest date) or 2018. I don't know whether NISA is submitting a bid for 2017 but I do hope they try for a Worlds Championship in the not too distant future
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

Beach Bum
    vCash
    At the 2006 Olympics ice dance event (in Italy), the many Russians in attendance were loudly chanting Ross-i-yaa regardless of the nationality of the skaters on the ice. So what if they support their athletes (loudly) -- at least they attend. Perhaps annoying to some, but they were mostly just rooting for their athletes and minding their own business. Only one made a rude gesture about the USA, and my husband turned him around by buying him a drink. A couple more drinks, and by the end, my husband had him holding the US flag and chanting USA as well as Rossiya. Of course you get more Russians in Russia, but I have no reason to believe that most were just rooting for their skaters and you have the normal number of annoying people you'd have in any crowd anywhere.

I believe I heard a lot of USA chanting at the London team gymnastics event. The Olympics are just a different thing. Doesn't matter who, what, where.

The only laughing I heard in Sochi on TV was the laughing at the beginning of Bobrova/Soloviev's FD.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Only one made a rude gesture about the USA, and my husband turned him around by buying him a drink. A couple more drinks, and by the end, my husband had him holding the US flag and chanting USA as well as Rossiya.
    I love this The Russian crowds are always knowledgeable in figure skating and I think they were quite fair in Sochi. They did support Jeremy during his meltdown after all.

vCash
    As far I know, the prices of tickets in Sochi were horrendous. And that was the reason that the audience were not necessarily figure skating fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Go back to her FS video and tell me what is being chanted from the crowd before her marks show up,

Disgusting imo
    Was it disgusting then when it happened in Vancouver for Virtue Moir ?
    It wasn't a big scandal.

vCash
    I wouldn't mind Worlds 2017 being in Sochi or in Helsinki. It is important that Olympic venues continue to be used and the facilities in Sochi were really nice. The Russian audience, as others pointed out, in general is supportive, knowledgeable and appreciates skaters from all countries. At Olympic Games, most of the audience does not consist of regular figure skating fans, so you don't have to expect this kind of over-patriotic behaviour at other events.

As for the Iceberg, even back in Sochi at the end of the Games Russian Figure Skating Federation officials told me that they will try to keep the venue as an ice rink. And if not, as Finnice pointed out, the ice hockey venue will be there. It is also convenient that the practice rink is right there.

vCash
    At Olympic Games, most of the audience does not consist of regular figure skating fans, so you don't have to expect this kind of at other events.
    I think in Olympics in Nagano had also problems with the audience. Maybe it wasn't "over-patriotic behaviour", but the audience was quiet and enthusiastic. And skaters complained about it.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I respectfully disagree.

That crowd has a lot of growing up to do,
    I bet Savchenko and Wagner would have something to say about this
    From 2005 Worlds, I'm sure Cohen and Petukhov would have something to say about this.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Does anyone know when the location will be announced? Sometime this summer?

vCash
    Sochi should not be hosting anymore figure skating events.
    I don't see why not. You have not given an explanation for your judgmental call.

vCash
    Is the idea that countries should not host international athletic events when they have no regard for human rights limited to selecting the host for Olys? IIRC, there was criticism of China (and later, Russia) being awarded the Olys because of their human rights abuses. Since that criticism, Russia still has the anti-gay law -- and Olys was followed by what is essentially an invasion of Ukraine. I hope that Worlds goes to Helsinki.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    I love this The Russian crowds are always knowledgeable in figure skating and I think they were quite fair in Sochi. They did support Jeremy during his meltdown after all.
    That was the SP in the main event, where Abbott fell on the attempted quad and hit the wall. The hugely pro-Russian crowd was absent for the Men's event after Plushenko withdrew. What remained was a NORMAL audience.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Is the idea that countries should not host international athletic events when they have no regard for human rights limited to selecting the host for Olys? IIRC, there was criticism of China (and later, Russia) being awarded the Olys because of their human rights abuses. Since that criticism, Russia still has the anti-gay law -- and Olys was followed by what is essentially an invasion of Ukraine. I hope that Worlds goes to Helsinki.
    THIS.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    My first thought was Russia is threatening to invade the Ukraine & who knows but by 2017 they will be attacking & trying to control other countries they formerly held & they actually want us to believe they are a friendly nation who believe in peace & harmony? Time for a reality check.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    My first thought was Russia is threatening to invade the Ukraine & who knows but by 2017 they will be attacking & trying to control other countries they formerly held & they actually want us to believe they are a friendly nation who believe in peace & harmony? Time for a reality check.
    Exactly my thoughts. So I am rooting for Finland!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    But that crowd is not going to be the crowd that is at Worlds. The crowds at other figure skating events in Russia have been respectful & knowledgeable - I don't recall any complaints when Sochi hosted the GPF in 2012.

Everyone keeps saying the partisan, unpleasant audience in Sochi doesn't represent Russian audiences as a whole. Maybe they are right; I would like to think so. However, the fact is, the political situation has changed significantly since 2005/2011 Worlds and even 2012 GPF. Tensions have risen greatly between Russia and the West. Is that why the crowds in the Iceberg were so unfriendly to all except Russians and Ukrainians? I don't know. But I do know it was unpleasant for the rest of the skaters. And I'm sorry, I don't agree it would have been the same anywhere else. It wasn't like that in Vancouver, it wasn't like that in Torino. Would the audience at a Sochi Worlds be better? Maybe, but I'd prefer not to chance it, especially at the important pre-Olympic Worlds.

vCash
    Well but then sorry but Japan and US allows capital punishment and for me it's on the same level as not treating women equally to men, allowing racims and anti gay laws.

So which country can host Worlds?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast