Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

vCash
    Apparently the Sochi bid was a bit premature and did not go through the regular approval channels in Russia:

http://m.insidethegames.biz/sports/w...JEkcA.facebook

It may still move forward though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Is the idea that countries should not host international athletic events when they have no regard for human rights limited to selecting the host for Olys? IIRC, there was criticism of China (and later, Russia) being awarded the Olys because of their human rights abuses. Since that criticism, Russia still has the anti-gay law -- and Olys was followed by what is essentially an invasion of Ukraine. I hope that Worlds goes to Helsinki.
    Thank you.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Sochi games are over and they still have stray dogs in the city, which is not the case with many western cities, what happens to dogs in these cities ?, what happens to dogs kept in shelter homes are they all taken care of till they die a natural death ?; personally humans should not harm any animals and killing them and eating them is just evil
    There aren't a lot of feral dogs in North America and I would expect the same to be true of Northern European cities - though coyotes are a problem in urban areas. Stray dogs are usually rescued or taken to the SPCA. Not all shelters are no-kill, but no-kill is becoming the trend.

And a lot of people are getting rescue dogs from the SPCA and shelters, so a lot of stray or abandoned dogs do find homes. It's a good time to be a dog in North America in general (excepting puppy mills and situations of abuse).

Cats don't have it quite so good. More are surrendered than find homes and there are plenty of feral cats - some cat rescues focus on capturing feral kittens, but the feral cat population remains a challenge.

[/QUOTE] Sochi problems with dogs will very much pale in comparison with Pyeongchang's.[/QUOTE]

How is it worse?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    How is it worse?
    Koreans eat dogs. Dogmeat is their special food.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    No one is gonna care about that once North Korea bombs the Olympics with their new Nuclear bomb,

Which will start a quick nuclear chain reaction in the already pretty turmoiled Eurasia ushering in the 3rd and final World war.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Cows are eaten by most non-vegetarians in the West, but are sacred to Hindus.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Sochi problems with dogs will very much pale in comparison with Pyeongchang's.
    Do they eat dogs in South Korea? I've heard about China of course, but am not familiar with the practice elsewhere.

This is turning into a weird thread.

vCash
    We don´t east dogs in Finland, but we eat reindeer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    I associate reindeer with Santa Claus, so I'm not used to that either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    I associate reindeer with Santa Claus, so I'm not used to that either.
    I just had to tell that. I know it shocks some people.
    That aside, I am sure that Helsinki would organize very good championships, but the tickets will cost a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    And that has started in old days as the reindeers were a natural food for those people in Lapland who owned masses of reindeer. Like cows in cattle states of USA?

vCash
    I may be the only one here that wants to see Sochi get a worlds, so why not in 2017? I don't want it to become another Sarajevo, meaning the Olympic facilities unused and eventually destroyed. Of course Russia won't let it happen. They will use the facilities for other sports, but I want to see the Iceberg used for figure skating.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't want it to become another Sarajevo, meaning the Olympic facilities unused and eventually destroyed.
    Kind of difficult to use or protect them when there's a war going on....
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I may be the only one here that wants to see Sochi get a worlds, so why not in 2017? I don't want it to become another Sarajevo, meaning the Olympic facilities unused and eventually destroyed. Of course Russia won't let it happen. They will use the facilities for other sports, but I want to see the Iceberg used for figure skating.
    2018 then,

It gives someone else who's ready for it a shot,
    And it doesn't reek of politics

Also, More time for everything to cool down over there …Or not

vCash
    Is the idea that countries should not host international athletic events when they have no regard for human rights limited to selecting the host for Olys? IIRC, there was criticism of China (and later, Russia) being awarded the Olys because of their human rights abuses. Since that criticism, Russia still has the anti-gay law -- and Olys was followed by what is essentially an invasion of Ukraine. I hope that Worlds goes to Helsinki.
    I agree!

vCash
    Is the idea that countries should not host international athletic events when they have no regard for human rights limited to selecting the host for Olys?
    First off, let me say that I think that the selection of a host city or country for the Olympics should take human rights into consideration. Enough was known about Russia's human rights record in 2007 (when the selection of a host for 2014 was made) that, had I been on the IOC, I would have voted for Pyeongchang or Salzburg. I think a similar standard might be appropriate for the FIFA World Cup.

If,however, one goes down the road the road of saying that countries with a poor record on human rights should not be allowed to host other international sporting events, where exactly does it end? Should Russia be allowed to host Grand Prix events but not Worlds? Should Belarus, which has a worse record on human rights than Russia, not be allowed to host a Junior Grand Prix event? Was it wrong to hold Worlds in Prague in 1962?

I do think that competitions should be held in countries where athletes, coaches, judges, officials, and fans from other countries will not be harassed or persecuted merely because of their race, religion, sexuality, etc. On the other hand, I also think that it would promote greater human understanding and international friendship if, for example, ordinary people in a host city in Russia met an openly gay skating coach from the U.S. or Canada and saw that he was just a regular guy.

vCash
    According to Filip Stillers Twitter, also Stockholm has decided to bid 2017 Worlds.

vCash
    Bids for Worlds 2017 have been made by Stockholm, Sochi, and, according to an article I saw on MSN... GLASGOW!!!!
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    http://www.iceskating.org.uk/node/6923

Glasgow bid confirmed by NISA. I'm changing my vote from Helsinki to this, it's not an expensive city, easy to get to and NISA did a fab job with Sheffield.

http://sochi.mk.ru/articles/2014/04/...u-v-sochi.html

I also saw another article from the Russian Sports ministry a couple of days ago saying they are not supporting the Sochi bid due to finances, they are already planning for other events such as the F1 races & bobsled events.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    http://www.iceskating.org.uk/node/6923

Glasgow bid confirmed by NISA. I'm chaning my vote from Helsinki to this, it's not an expensive city, easy to get to and NISA did a fab job with Sheffield.
    So Scotland is bidding for this or GBR ? , so what happens to NISA if Scotland becomes another country?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast