Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 156
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Greater Boston, MA
    Posts
    637
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Sochi bids for 2017 Worlds

    Ryan posted this news on Twitter and Facebook:

    http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_0...official-0001/

    My vote (not that anyone asked): Nay.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Back in the Finnish forests
    Posts
    4,968
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32719
    I hope that Helsinki, Finland gets them.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    378
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sochi should not be hosting anymore figure skating events.

    Do we know Helsinki's in the running ?

    Who else is?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Sochi should not be hosting anymore figure skating events.
    Why?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    City of Blinding Light
    Posts
    15,910
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    12302
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Sochi should not be hosting anymore figure skating events.
    Why not?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Back in the Finnish forests
    Posts
    4,968
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32719
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Do we know Helsinki's in the running ?
    Helsinki is in the running.
    Even though the nationalism of the Russian audience at the Olympics was quite over the top, it would be a different audience for Worlds. At least when is was in CoR 2012, GPF 2012, and Worlds 2005, the Russaon audience appreciated good skaters despite their nationality.

    I am just surprised because I thought that they are going to move the Iceberg Arena from Sochi.
    Last edited by Finnice; 04-22-2014 at 03:03 PM.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    104
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    I hope that Helsinki, Finland gets them.
    Totally agree with you! Helsinki would be perfect.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,266
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    Why not? They've got a top-notch facility there, I'd like to see it being used. I don't want to see another China, where the facilities stand lifeless and useless after the Games.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    378
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Why not?
    If i'm being emotional:

    - Some of the international crowds that weren't turned off at the time by traveling to Russia report of having a really bad time.
    - International athletes complained about being laughed at and it was clear to see there was not much crowd reaction if you're not local.


    If i'm being cynical:

    -They're obviously projecting onto the Koreans from their own behaviour, And are just trying to sway some (good) heat towards
    the russian athletes right before Olympics cause they believe In Korea they would be treated unfairly


    Why not? They've got a top-notch facility there, I'd like to see it being used. I don't want to see another China, where the facilities stand lifeless and useless after the Games.
    The facility is great indeed
    Last edited by Eladola; 04-22-2014 at 02:47 PM.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,266
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    If you're being sensible:

    Everyone knows the crowd at an Olympics is not an actual figure skating crowd. And puh-lease, laughing at athletes? I never saw that crowd laugh at an athlete. That's a ridiculous accusation.


    In short: people don't want Worlds to go to Sochi because they're still whinging that Yuna wasn't good enough.

  11. #11
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Busy stalking the world.
    Posts
    3,926
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42288
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    If you're being sensible:

    Everyone knows the crowd at an Olympics is not an actual figure skating crowd. And puh-lease, laughing at athletes? I never saw that crowd laugh at an athlete. That's a ridiculous accusation.


    In short: people don't want Worlds to go to Sochi because they're still whinging that Yuna wasn't good enough.
    Where you there?
    I don't think Eladola is talking about just FS athletes.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    378
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    If you're being sensible:

    Everyone knows the crowd at an Olympics is not an actual figure skating crowd. And puh-lease, laughing at athletes? I never saw that crowd laugh at an athlete. That's a ridiculous accusation.


    In short: people don't want Worlds to go to Sochi because they're still whinging that Yuna wasn't good enough.
    Well, It's not MY accusation


    Besides,

    Since you brought up Yuna,

    Go back to her FS video and tell me what is being chanted from the crowd before her marks show up,

    Disgusting imo

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,817
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36867
    Nope.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,266
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Go back to her FS video and tell me what is being chanted from the crowd before her marks show up,

    Disgusting imo
    Um, they were in Russia. You want they were to chant, "Yuna, Yuna"? Well that ain't ever going to happen. And at an American event, you'd hear "U-S-A, U-S-A". And at an Australian event, you'd hear "Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi oi oi!".

    Oh I forgot. Somehow it's only disgusting because it's Russia.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    378
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Um, they were in Russia. You want they were to chant, "Yuna, Yuna"? Well that ain't ever going to happen. And at an American event, you'd hear "U-S-A, U-S-A". And at an Australian event, you'd hear "Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi oi oi!".

    Oh I forgot. Somehow it's only disgusting because it's Russia.
    I respectfully disagree.

    That crowd has a lot of growing up to do,
    I bet Savchenko and Wagner would have something to say about this

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    378
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    I am just surprised because I thought that they are going to move the Iceberg Arena from Sochi.
    Srsly?

    How …

  17. #17

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    930
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7453
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    I respectfully disagree.

    That crowd has a lot of growing up to do,
    I bet Savchenko and Wagner would have something to say about this
    But that crowd is not going to be the crowd that is at Worlds. The crowds at other figure skating events in Russia have been respectful & knowledgeable - I don't recall any complaints when Sochi hosted the GPF in 2012.

    That said, Helsinki 2017 please!

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Back in the Finnish forests
    Posts
    4,968
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32719
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Srsly?

    How …
    That was what they said before the Olympics: some of the buildings will be moved from the Olympic park. It felt odd, though.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,284
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3052
    It would be great if sochi got it. Except for Moscow 2005 and emergency 2011 Russia's totally underrepresented.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    930
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7453
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    That was what they said before the Olympics: some of the buildings will be moved from the Olympic park. It felt odd, though.
    That's what has been done with some of the buildings from the London Olympics - for example the waterpolo arena was designed to use temporary components which could either be dismantled and fed back into the construction chain for use on other projects, or takendown and reconstructed in another location. I think that one of the buildings is actually being transported to Rio for use the next Olympics, but I can't remember which one. But the Iceberg Arena does look so big & permanent that I find it hard to imagine that happening to it!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •