Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Yes, would Asher be willing to move somewhere else for training? Is Asher dedicated to staying with his present coaches, or is he open to a change of location?

Btw, here's the link that 'Cant Skate' referenced above:

http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=4826

vCash
    Well, the "willing to relocate" section is not completed. So possibly he's open to it.

One would think he'd have talked to Vanessa already, if he were considering that possibility, so maybe this is just a pipe dream.

But both were singles skaters as well as high-level ice dancers, and I could imagine them adopting an athletic style which would differentiate them from the other top Canadian teams. Variety is always welcome, IMO.

vCash
    Did we ever have an off season with as many splits as this one? We should have a thread for who's staying together rather than breaking up.

For a long time I've wished Asher would get a better partner. She has improved a lot, but IMO not enough for him. With a better partner I think he would have been pushing for the podium. Vanessa Crone is the best skater available at the moment, but who knows who's going to break up next.

Would he be released by SC or would he have to look for another Canadian partner?

vCash
    Oh man, Asher and Elena would be *so* great. I can dream...

vCash
    It appears Asher is looking for a Canadian partner so far, but if he wanted to skate for another country he would have to go through the release procedure discussed on other threads. That means waiting out at least a season to compete internationally and then going through whatever citizenship issues have to be completed after that.

You're right that Crone is probably the only former Canadian dancer available right now that is at Asher's level. But if he wanted to skate with her, presumably he would know how to contact her without going on IPS?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    It appears Asher is looking for a Canadian partner so far, but if he wanted to skate for another country he would have to go through the release procedure discussed on other threads. That means waiting out at least a season to compete internationally and then going through whatever citizenship issues have to be completed after that.

You're right that Crone is probably the only former Canadian dancer available right now that is at Asher's level. But if he wanted to skate with her, presumably he would know how to contact her without going on IPS?
    Maybe he just wants to know what all his options are?

vCash
    ^Good point.

I really hope he does try out with Vanessa at some point, if she's interested in skating again. I've often thought their styles might mesh well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Maybe he just wants to know what all his options are?
    True. And according to the date, the profile just went up today.

I just don't want too many fans to get their hopes up about a Crone & Hill partnership until we know they have talked to each other about it.

Last interview I read with Crone said she had tried a couple of brief ice dance partnerships (one with a European skater coached by Dubrueil/Lauzon?) but that she had trouble picturing herself skating with any guy other than Poirier. But I noticed on Twitter a couple months ago that she also responded to a couple people that she was keeping the idea of the 2018 Olympics open.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cant Skate View Post
    Asher Hill is on ice partner search.
    This off season is turning into a bloodbath for Canadian teams. This is one partnership I never thought would split. It is true that they were not moving up, and the judges seemed to have relegated them to B levels.

What next, I wonder?

vCash
    Although Asher and Kharis have grown up together and have had a great, supportive partnership, they're at an age (and stage, post-Olympics) when either you re-commit to skating or you retire and pursue other paths. Possibly Kharis has decided to retire and focus on her university studies, and Asher wants to continue skating. That would be very understandable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    Possibly Kharis has decided to retire and focus on her university studies, and Asher wants to continue skating. That would be very understandable.
    I think you may be right. I just checked on Twitter, and it looks like Kharis recently changed her profile info and photo. I think during the season she had a skating photo on there and listed herself as a figure skater underneath. Now the skating photo is gone and she has a different one up and it no longer says she is a figure skater.

https://twitter.com/KharisRalph

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    Although Asher and Kharis have grown up together and have had a great, supportive partnership, they're at an age (and stage, post-Olympics) when either you re-commit to skating or you retire and pursue other paths. Possibly Kharis has decided to retire and focus on her university studies, and Asher wants to continue skating. That would be very understandable.
    According to a source close to the pair that I was speaking with over the weekend, Kharis was _considering_ retirement from skating and leaving it for me to read between the lines. Part of me was hoping I was wrong in my assumption and I was just going my thoughts to myself until I saw this thread. I guess the rumours are true based on the evidence we've already seen.

Bummer. I've been a fan of theirs since I first saw them at Jr. Nationals in Brampton years ago. (Along with a very young Patrick Chan and Kevin Reynolds, but I digress)

Don't expect any kind of formal announcement at least until after they have skated in a gala event taking place next weekend in Brampton.
    Last edited by Peter_K; 04-28-2014 at 06:00 AM.

vCash
    Yes, it sounds like a retirement rather than a partner split. Asher just sent Kharis a Happy Birthday tweet a few days ago which she favourited, so it's nice to see they are still friends.

vCash
    he was also very complimentary towards her in his IPS profile - sounds like a very amicable split, where she wanted to move on with her life.

vCash
    Kharis Ralph and Asher Hill have officially ended their partnership, he said so on Twitter and will later make a longer announcement on Facebook.

vCash
    Here's @AsherHill's series of tweets:
    Many ppl have been asking me and there is talk going around.I would like to tell you all myself that kharis and I have ended our partnership

Had a great 13yrs together. We grew up together and she is one of the best things that has everhappened to me. Happy to have her in my life

I will make a more official announcement later today on Facebook.

140 character just wont cut it
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Asher Hill is listed on www.icepartnersearch.com. He has well written goals and expectations. Basically looking for someone with international experience and under a certain height (I think he noted 5'4"... as I believe he is 5'9". I always thought he was much taller, like 6'1"+. He is very elegant and looks tall, I guess. I hope he finds someone wonderful!

vCash
    Nice to see that Asher & Kharis are remaining friends and still speaking well of each other.

Makes a nice change from some of the unpleasant splits we've seen lately!

vCash
    How tall is Vanessa Crone? Otherwise, she fits the bill.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    According to her ISU bio, Crone is 160cm, or a sliver under 5'3".
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast