Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    It's not that all surprising that a skater would seriously consider an offer from someone who was sixth in the World and partnerless, regardless of any other factors.
    It was actually the other way around. Josh approached Caitlin.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Then how did Yankowskas "play a huge role" in the Cain/Reagan split? Simply by being available?

I don't think there's anything amiss with a skater deciding he or she had reached a limit with a partner and looking elsewhere, especially when a top partner becomes available, just as there's nothing wrong in saying "no thanks" and being content with his/her current partner. Cain, because of her height, has a limited partner pool, but he had no obligation to remain with her until she decided to call it quits.

If Reagan is such an obvious an opportunist partner-hopper, then anyone who wants him as a partner would know about it, and if they choose him, believe the upside outweighs the risk. I find him bland, but I'm not a Pairs woman looking for a partner.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 04-29-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Then how did Yankowskas "play a huge role" in the Cain/Reagan split? Simply by being available?
    Because the minute he knew she was single he ditched Ashley? My point was not necessarily her knowingly playing a role, it was a big factor in the split. I am pretty sure it is pretty much the only reason it happened.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Oh, so she played a passive role.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    Because the minute he knew she was single he ditched Ashley? My point was not necessarily her knowingly playing a role, it was a big factor in the split. I am pretty sure it is pretty much the only reason it happened.
    The whole US pairs thing is so odd. On the one hand, everyone bemoans the constant splits as if that is the sole reason why our teams aren't successful. On the other hand, people for years seemed to want to break up teams to create hypothetical Caitlin or Rockne pairings, are always trying to suggest new partners for Castelli etc.

Back to the original topic of MT/M, I'll miss them but also the domestic rivalry they had with D/R. Its always fun when they're are 2 very very close teams competing at a National level for that top status.

vCash
    If Reagan is such an obvious an opportunist partner-hopper, then anyone who wants him as a partner would know about it, and if they choose him, believe the upside outweighs the risk. I find him bland, but I'm not a Pairs woman looking for a partner.
    I think the concern among fans of a hypothetical MT/R pair is that "other factors" (ie. personal) may blind one to this opportunism. As it seems so evident to many on this forum the concern is well-intentioned and reasonable.

Also, agreement re: blandness. I previously tried to express this about him on- and off-ice but tried to be far too descriptive and metaphorical. Stated simply, "bland" sums him up perfectly in style and personality. That is a significant concern for MT/M fan base that have grown accustomed to the very opposite.
    Last edited by Nrdc; 04-29-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: to clear confusion

vCash
    I really hope MT/M are NOT splitting! Seems like they've just cracked the top ranks and they could go much further.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    WOW, just like like in the US Pairs thread there are a lot of breakups in the Canadian Pairs thread as well!!!

They all shock me, especially Kirsten Moore-Towers & Dylan Moscovitch, as I've always stated they are my favorite Canadian pair team. In fact I would've given them an Olympic Gold Medal. I love their skating, choreography, chemistry, et al. Just like the USA's Caydee Denney she's a winner, whomever she pairs up with will comprise a winning team. And just like Caydee Denney, they are YOUNG, only 20 (Caydee) and 21 (Kirsten) respectively. Funny, their partners are both 8 years older than each as well (aka John Coughlin = 28; Dylan Moscovitch = 29). Hmmm, makes me wonder if Caydee & John will stay together....

Back to Kirsten (5'0"), the three Canadian pair men mentioned intrigue me. Mervin Tran (5'9") is short and his skating is refined (very reminiscent of Andrew Speroff imho). Michael Marinaro is tall (5'11"), long-limbed, and his skating is divine, elegant, exquisite (in fact I would love to see him skate with Gretchen Donlan). Lastly, Joshua Reagan is tall (6'0") and his skating is blah imho, unmemorable, nothing stands out. It will be interesting to see which one Kirsten will pick IF she decides to switch partners, or whether she will choose elsewhere...

Can't wait till the summer competitions to see which new pair teams will show up!

vCash
    NadineWhite, is there any much more talented and much more gifted skater than denney left out there in this figure skating world who you don't compare with her?

i wait for the confirmation, but if this turns out to be true, i am really devestated and kinda heart-broken.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    NadineWhite, is there any much more talented and much more gifted skater than denney left out there in this figure skating world who you don't compare with her?

I wait for the confirmation, but if this turns out to be true, i am really devestated and kinda heart-broken.
    The comparison of KMT who is so, so engaging and lovely to watch. Perhaps the most charismatic pairs girl in the World really to Denney who is maybe our 10th or 11th most charismatic US pair girls out of the 12 teams in Boston kills me.

vCash
    Hey, we all have our peculiar biases and preferences! (For the record, I really enjoy watching M-T/M and I think Caydee Denney has charisma.)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Hey, we all have our peculiar biases and preferences! (For the record, I really enjoy watching M-T/M and I think Caydee Denney has charisma.)
    True! I know I'm so harsh when it comes to her. What I should have said I just don't see Denney as America's equivalent of KMT. At all. I so wish the US had someone with KMT's performance ability AND consistency though.

vCash
    Nadine is just as entitled to her opinions as the rest of us.

vCash
    I don't think there's anything amiss with a skater deciding he or she had reached a limit with a partner and looking elsewhere, especially when a top partner becomes available
    Obviously partner changes are very common in the figure skating world. They are inevitable and understandable in many cases, and apart from a few exceptions, the vast majority of pairs and dance teams have had at least one other partner. It's rare today that you begin and end your career with the same partner - V&M and D&W are the rare exceptions.

However, there is a limit to how many times a skater can change partners without it having repercussions on their standing with their federation, the judges and the fans. You need time to work as a team to work your way up with the judges, to get the support of your federation, and to keep a loyal fanbase of skating viewers that will want to come and see your shows.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    tell me Purich is with Drew Wolfe who was 7th at Junior Men at Nats this year. He's young so perhaps she's taking another run at the jr. circuit. Not sure what this means for Schultz. Would love to have some eye witnesses to all this. So far all I'm hearing is second hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by million$momma View Post
    99.9% sure
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8fanatic View Post
    Yes, Purich is with Wolfe.

Natasha Purich intrigues me simply for the fact that she reminds me of Marina Anissina (A&P are my all-time favorite dance pair btw). She not only looks like her, but she has her fiery personality as well (love how Natasha slaps herself on the legs before she starts her program). However, word of caution for the little petite Natasha, too much partner swapping is no good, jmho.

Natasha: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/9drMQ...Natasha+Purich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuF20trf85E

Marina: http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-ph...arina-anissina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtS5MQvRi44

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post

However, there is a limit to how many times a skater can change partners without it having repercussions on their standing with their federation, the judges and the fans. You need time to work as a team to work your way up with the judges, to get the support of your federation, and to keep a loyal fanbase of skating viewers that will want to come and see your shows.
    Almost without exception (like early S/P and V/T), it's like most coaches say: it takes three years to establish a team. However, I don't see how moving from Yankowskas to Bereswill and Jones was climbing up the ranks. While Reagan was injured early in his partnership with Yankowskas, and their season was halted, which at least contributed to the split, I have no info with which to blame him for it not working with Bereswill or Jones, and he Wirtz's are not going to let Moore-Towers sit around without a partner or escape to another rink, if she and Moskovitch are splitting: she's their money item at the moment. I don't see how Skate Canada, especially with a dearth of top-level Pairs at the senior level, would stop supporting M-T if she skated with Lassie.

vCash
    .... if she and Moskovitch are splitting: she's their money item at the moment.
    I see you know the Wirtzs well

vCash
    Looks like the Moore-Towers / Moscovitch split is official
    http://skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDe...S/Default.aspx

vCash

Thanks for also starting a new thread in GSD since this is BIG NEWS: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...scovitch-Split
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron MB Fan View Post
    Looks like the Moore-Towers / Moscovitch split is official
    http://skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDe...S/Default.aspx
    this sucks absolutely.

i really pray the season to start as the off-season really pisses me off

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast