Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

vCash
    Wouldn't be the first time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniskates93 View Post
    The conformation of rumours I'm not sure I'm going to believe much about any new partnerships until it comes from a press release or the mouths of the athletes themselves.
    I'm the same. I don't believe it 100% until I hear the official confirmation. But IFS is usually a reputable source (provided they are getting their info from somewhere other than message boards).

Official press releases from skaters about new partnerships don't usually get announced this early. They usually come out at the time the new National team is announced. So we'll probably have to wait a couple weeks for official confirmation.

vCash
    That IFS link is to their message board, so is no more reliable than what is posted here. In fact, it may be posted by the same people, or people who are spreading the rumor.
    I do not think this has been researched by IFS and passed along as confirmed news.

vCash
    No, I don't think it's been officially confirmed. They say that the info is based on various 'reports'. The same statement appears on the IFS Facebook.

I just checked with PJ Kwong and she says she hasn't heard anything official yet.

But as someone said above, M-T&M don't seem to be denying the reports so far.

vCash
    I know interviews during an Olympics are not indicative of much, but when M-T&M were interviewed on the CBC couch, they were *so* giddy. I'm really surprised by this news.

vCash
    Definitely didn't see it coming either.

vCash
    Lack of denial at this point is tantamount to confirmation. Correct? Also, considering Tran/Purich split is confirmed as true, it is quite telling that Moore-Towers has favourited a tweet from Tran that quotes:

"If a road is clearly marked 'about to end' and you use it to get ahead of traffic, everyone wants the worse [sic] for you and you deserve it."

https://twitter.com/skate_moivo/stat...60735520100353

A quote which actually seems to argue against itself.
    Last edited by Nrdc; 04-28-2014 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Formatting

vCash
    When someone does not deny reports of a split, it can often mean that the report is true.

As for the quote by Tran, I'm not 100% sure what it means, so maybe that explains why I only got a C in philosophy class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    When someone does not deny reports of a split, it can often mean that the report is true.

As for the quote by Tran, I'm not 100% sure what it means, so maybe that explains why I only got a C in philosophy class.
    Quite a pretentious quote. They won't be firing up the printers at the bumper sticker factory for it. Perhaps significant as it's a skater that split discussing 'end of the road' and another skater rumoured to split favouring said message. Or he is merely discussing some driver using an entry lane on highway to pass lanes of stalled traffic.

Philosophically… dude, we are all on a road that ends, man. That's, like, life. Some are shorter than others so, woah, slow down and enjoy the drive. [fails drug test]

Also, any thoughts on whether it's reasonable that a (possibly, unconfirmed) slighted Moscovitch could pair up at this stage of his career?
    Last edited by Nrdc; 04-28-2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Formatting

vCash
    Just an observation but 3 guys previously on ice partner search have removed their bios....Matthew Pennasse, Wesley Killing and Eric Thiessen. Any news on new partnerships?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cant Skate View Post
    Just an observation but 3 guys previously on ice partner search have removed their bios....Matthew Pennasse, Wesley Killing and Eric Thiessen. Any news on new partnerships?
    Good catch on that.

Hopefully they have found new partnerships and will be continuing on as there is a serious lack of depth in Canadian pairs right now.

vCash
    Oh wow, that's too bad if the rumors about MT/M are true. . I really liked them. How old is she? I didn't realize he was almost 30 so it's understandable if he doesn't have another four years in him. Better to do it early in the Olympic cycle I guess if she's aiming for 2018. Still a bummer though.

vCash
    Kristen is just 21 so she could easily have two more cycles in her if she stays healthy and wants to go that long as an elite level skater.

vCash
    Wrong thread.

vCash
    I guess it means that when you know you won't be going anywhere with your partner (or that you know your partner will make a move), you may be the first one to call it split to get someone better for you... and then be pointed out as the one splitting the pair... The bad guy...

vCash
    There is a post from Dylan on his and their Facebook pages that sounds a lot like a retirement speech: a lot of thank yous, talking about finishing the year on a high note, and thanking his family. Then he finishes with saying he cannot wait for the next step in this journey and to continue this amazing journey and sharing it with "you", which to me refers to family, not skating.

I liked this pair so am somewhat sad if they don't continue.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Having followed Tran for a while, I wouldn't be surprised if this was literally a reaction to what he perceived as a rude driver. I've found general cultural difference based on geograph: in NY/NJ, for example, when there's a sign that says "left lane ends, merge," people drives to the front of the lane until it narrows and merge at that point, and anyone who tries to merge right art the sign and blocks the lane is . In Seattle and Vancouver, people merge right where the sign is and think anyone who drives to the end of the lane is .

Of course the tweet could be a metaphor about skating partnerships, but people will look at splits with the same diverse opinions as they do traffic etiquette, as we've seen early and often in this post-Sochi off season.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
    There is a post from Dylan on his and their Facebook pages that sounds a lot like a retirement speech: a lot of thank yous, talking about finishing the year on a high note, and thanking his family. Then he finishes with saying he cannot wait for the next step in this journey and to continue this amazing journey and sharing it with "you", which to me refers to family, not skating.

I liked this pair so am somewhat sad if they don't continue.
    I first saw Dylan skate in junior mens at Canadians in 2004 (I think it 2004, could have been earlier) and have always enjoyed his skating. Hopefully this next phase of his life goes well and best of luck to him. I'm glad he got to out on a high note with an Olympic medal and a 2nd top 4 finish at worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Unfortunately, they can't train together over Skype.
    As in they live in different cities right now?

Yes, I think Tran is still in Montreal (with Richard Gauthier?)

And Moore-Towers is presumably still in Toronto (with the Wirtzes).

If this is going to be a new partnership, one of them will obviously need to make the move to the other camp.

vCash
    It's getting so I am almost afraid to check the latest entry in the Canadian Pairs and Dance threads for fear of reading about another split.

However.....

If the latest round of musical chairs ends up with Kristen Moore-Towers skating with Mervin Tran, I think I could accept that. There is a lot of potential there, no matter where they train (hoping for Gauthier camp).

We need to add teams by any method, not lose them because of retirements and injuries, not to mention all the negative ways a team can use to call it quits.

One thing is for sure, Canadian Nats 2015 will have a totally different look than in 2014. Wow, so many changes so far, and it's still only April.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast