Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Reagan's Canadian citizenship situation and USFS release issues are the same, whether with MT or Jones, so I am sure the Wirtz camp has looked into this in detail either way. I would think it is likely he is released, per USFS policy, for the upcoming season based on when his last Sr Intl was. Citizenship - well, that's always a risky move. Still waiting to see if this is really true...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Actually, Reagan's Canadian citizenship prospects may have increased dramatically, since MT is already an Olympian and has earned a seed with Moscovitch twice. There has to be great promise and results to get considered for an exception under the current process, although be careful what you wish for: neither Gilles nor Weaver made the Olympic team right after they got expedited citizenship. Jones and Reagan looked good together, especially given how short a time they'd been together, but there are some new young teams that looked competitive and promising.

With the rules in flux, a chunk of their research will not apply. Precedent may be meaningless if it's up to a single minister, and that could go either way.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    "May have," depending on the rules etc. - I meant that the Facts vis-a-vis his situation are the same either way. The same research applies, and all involved would already have an in-depth understanding of the options & potential law changes because they would have already looked into it for Jones. It would be quite early for any real evaluation of an exception based on 1 person's prior results. Still, until there is an announcement...it may not even be true.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The changes to the citizenship Act were announced in February 2014, months after Jones and Reagan paired up.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The catch is that, according to the original proposal, under anti-terrorist rhetoric, they are creating a two-tiered system for citizenship: those who are naturalized will sign the revised citizenship oath oath to say they plan to live in Canada indefinitely, and if they don't, can have citizenship revoked and be subject to fraud charges, while those born Canadian citizens can live wherever they want. It will be interesting to see if that passes judicial review if passed, or whether Reagan will be willing to risk it if it's passed and upheld. Weaver and Gilles didn't have to make any such promise.

He hasn't been with a partner long enough yet to know if this will be moot.
    It's sounds as if you know Immigration Law well. Impressive.

I know that both Weaver & Gilles faced criticism from some Canadian skating fans and members of the public who felt they should have to wait longer before becoming Canadian and getting citizenship, etc. People become more comfortable with the idea the longer an athlete represents a country and the more committed they seem to the country over time. Both of these American gals have also gone up in the World standings and have now justified the citizenship exemption by showing strong ability on behalf of the country.

As you stated above, there are now some new citizenship rules being proposed, and since Reagan hasn't been in a committed partnership yet or become a national medalist like Weaver & Gilles, there might be less incentive to fast-track his application. However, if he were to pair up with a major Canadian medalist like Moore-Towers, that could enhance his value to Canada and his chances for citizenship.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I went through the Skilled worker PR track and have a citizenship application in process, so I try to keep up as much as possible out of self-interest.

They don't make exceptions more than a year out of the Olympic trials, so the ministry have plenty of time to judge Reagan and partner's competitive strength before making a decision. It's not like they'll be making any decision in the short term.

vCash
    Ashley Cain is over 5'6" (168cm) according to her ISU bio. She switched to singles after she grew. Reagan became injured early during the season that he and Yankowskas teamed; I'm not sure how long it took him to recover.
    Ashley didn't switch to singles. She was skating pairs and singles all along, and was winning medals in both disciplines. She was very disappointed when Josh ended the partnership as she wanted to continue skating both. His argument was that he wanted her to commit to just pairs, but she wanted to continue to skate singles, too.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    A quick aside: is there a forum record for negative reputation points gained in one evening in a single thread? I may have unknowingly stumbled upon glory but the phone number for Guinness World Records is long distance so I don't want to throw money away verifying it.

vCash
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...Reputation-FAQ
    - Posting comments about having been repped or planning to rep someone on the board is frowned upon. Rep is nothing to be taken seriously.
    - If you don't like it, disable it.
    FWIW, Joshua Reagan last competed internationally for the USA with Ashley Cain at 2011 Rostelecom Cup (Nov. 26).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-27-2014 at 09:59 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Ok. Undecided for now. 'Registered user" looks so pretty when underlined my a massive row of red.

If it does turn out that it is a KMT/JR pairing I do think I would be one of the earliest commenters to have speculated this result.

vCash
    They don't make exceptions more than a year out of the Olympic trials, so the ministry have plenty of time to judge Reagan and partner's competitive strength before making a decision. It's not like they'll be making any decision in the short term.
    Particularly since we don't know yet whether Jones & Reagan are still together, or whether Moore-Towers & Reagan are now a team.

vCash
    Yeah, probably not gonna happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniskates93 View Post
    Yeah, probably not gonna happen.
    The split, or confirmation of ridiculous rumours by people who have not posted sources?

vCash
    I agree we should be cautious about people above posting without sources, although in this case there does seem to be some verification.

IFS is reporting that Moore-Towers/Moscovitch and Purdy/Marinaro have split:

https://twitter.com/ifsmagazine/stat...44466628575232

vCash
    Wow at M-T/M splitting, if true.

vCash
    The conformation of rumours I'm not sure I'm going to believe much about any new partnerships until it comes from a press release or the mouths of the athletes themselves.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    I agree we should be cautious about people above posting without sources, although in this case there does seem to be some verification.

I hope they aren't just rehashing what they read here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post

They are reporting a rumor. I'll wait for a press release if there is one.

vCash
    I'm shocked, did not expect this at all.

And what's this about Tran/Donlan. Has there been a tryout.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    I hope they aren't just rehashing what they read here.
    Exactly!

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast