Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Reagan was Yankowskas' first partner after Coughlin. There was a clip of them skating in a mall together, and they even had GP assignments under the "split couple" rule (based on her 6th with Coughlin at Worlds.) Luckily, they withdrew before using them, and he has been out of international competition long enough. I'm assuming USFS has either released him or like Piper Gilles, they've told him when his release will be.

Jones and Reagan weren't bad at Canadian Nationals, considering they'd been together for a very, very short time.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrdc View Post
    Yes. Currently paired with Brittany Jones. KMT has posted photos with him at events on her Instagram. She previously dated Jones' ex-partner, Beharry so it seems she has a type. LOL

(Meant this in a joking manner so hope it doesn't sound mean-spirited)
    Joshua Reagan seems to go through partners very quickly. He's been with about 4 different girls, some partnerships lasting only about a year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Reagan

vCash
    I'm just hoping Moscovitch wasn't pushed out (if split rumours are true). Reagan actually looks older than M in photos but is about 5 years his junior.
    Last edited by Nrdc; 04-27-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: verified + corrected age

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Ashley Cain is over 5'6" (168cm) according to her ISU bio. She switched to singles after she grew. Reagan became injured early during the season that he and Yankowskas teamed; I'm not sure how long it took him to recover.

Becky Bereswill is a singles skater who decided to return to Pairs. She's also listed at 168cm. She's gone back and forth with Pairs. I don't follow US qualifying and don't know if she competed at all this season. She was 16th at US Nats in 2013, a few months before she teamed up with Reagan, according to his Wikipedia article, but her's isn't up-to-date and still lists Reagan as her current partner.

Reagan's ISU bio (with Cain) lists his birthday as November 5, 1989; he'll be turning 25 in the fall.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Luckily, they withdrew before using them, and he has been out of international competition long enough. I'm assuming USFS has either released him or like Piper Gilles, they've told him when his release will be.
    When did Reagan switch to representing Canada? It appears to have been less than a year ago. But perhaps he could start representing Canada internationally as early as later this year depending on the dates.

According to others who are knowledgable on the topic of releases, the USFS can sometimes make even lower-level skaters wait several years before being released, and other times may do so more quickly. Piper Gilles had to wait a year before representing Canada internationally, but had been off the previous year without a partner, so apparently that meant she was out 2 years by the time she was released.

And presumably Reagan will try to use the same Citizenship process that Gilles and Kaitlyn Weaver both used so that he can get citizenship before the next Olympics.

vCash
    Reagan's ISU bio (with Cain) lists his birthday as November 5, 1989; he'll be turning 25 in the fall.
    Yes, and Moscovitch will be turning 30 but seems in better shape than most even 10 years younger.

Will be sad to lose M's personality from the pair -- R seems a bit of a [[REDACTED]]
    Last edited by Nrdc; 04-27-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: I was mean. Sorry.

vCash
    Yes, and Moscovitch will be turning 30 but seems in better shape than most even 10 years younger.

Will be sad to lose M's personality from the pair -- R seems a bit of a dullard and speaks with southern drawl that can easily be confused with concussion-like symptoms.
    Well, according to his bio above, Reagan is from Texas, so I suppose that explains the Southern accent.

We don't know yet whether Reagan will team up with Moore-Towers. It seems to me that she would be better off with a stronger skater like Marinaro. Afterall, if she and Reagan are a couple, it may not last anyway, so I don't think that would be the main criterion for skating together. Someone at her level needs a solid partner.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    When did Reagan switch to representing Canada? It appears to have been less than a year ago. But perhaps he could start representing Canada internationally as early as later this year depending on the dates.
    As far as I know, he's only competed at Canadian competitions, not internationally. IIRC, he and Jones only teamed up last Fall and had only been together a few months by Can Nats. AFAIK, no info about whether he''s been released...

According to others who are knowledgable on the topic of releases, the USFS can sometimes make even lower-level skaters wait several years before being released, and other times may do so more quickly. Piper Gilles had to wait a year before representing Canada internationally, but had been off the previous year without a partner, so apparently that meant she was out 2 years by the time she was released.
    After Torino, the exact criteria was leaked, but allegedly the release criteria has changed at least once since then. At the time, anyone who didn't have specific criteria was given an immediate release, and anyone who did could be held up to four seasons.

Piper Gilles was held for two seasons, which was longer than two years.

And presumably Reagan will try to use the same Citizenship process that Gilles and Kaitlyn Weaver both used so that he can get citizenship before the next Olympics.
    Assuming he lives and trains in Canada, if he has or could get Permanent Residency status in the self-employed entrepreneur class (which is for world-class artists and sports people) in the next year, unlike Gilles and Weaver, he'd have the residency requirements by then, but he's still likely need expedited processing (currently at 24 months).

Well, according to his bio above, Reagan is from Texas, so I suppose that explains the Southern accent.
    That doesn't explain the ignorant characterization and assumptions about it, eh?

vCash
    I was aware of R's Texas upbringing. My aim was to emphasize contrast between the 2 personalities. Press/sponsorship/fan base also factors I would assume would be considered -- perhaps I'm naive and it is all about ISU results.

My students will be a bit disappointed as they were all big fans of DM + KMT during Sochi, mainly for personalities.

vCash
    My students will be a bit disappointed as they were all big fans of DM + KMT during Sochi, mainly for personalities.
    Well that would be another surprising aspect to Kirsten & Dylan deciding to move on so soon after Sochi & the Worlds - they have developed a fanbase who like to see them together and they haven't yet had much opportunity to do shows, tours, etc. You would think they might want to experience the chance to do that for a year or two.

vCash
    Well that would be another surprising aspect to Kirsten & Dylan deciding to move on so soon after Sochi & the Worlds - they have developed a fanbase who like to see them together and they haven't yet had much opportunity to do shows, tours, etc. You would think they might want to experience the chance to do that for a year or two.
    +1

vCash
    Piper Gilles was held for two seasons, which was longer than two years.
    And she was a skater who had only competed at the Junior level up till then.

Assuming he lives and trains in Canada, if he has or could get Permanent Residency status in the self-employed entrepreneur class (which is for world-class artists and sports people) in the next year, unlike Gilles and Weaver, he'd have the residency requirements by then, but he's still likely need expedited processing (currently at 24 months).
    Gilles & Weaver didn't have residency status at the time they applied for citizenship?

Anyway, I also read that the Canadian Government is considering changing some of its citizenship requirements and may toughen them up, so perhaps he will face a longer wait than Gilles & Weaver.

That doesn't explain the ignorant characterization and assumptions about it, eh?
    Oh, I see what you mean above. I agree that Nrdc shouldn't joke about his accent sounding like someone with a concussion.

vCash
    Oh, I see what you mean above. I agree that Nrdc shouldn't joke about his accent sounding like someone with a concussion.
    Apologies. [applies ice to slapped wrist]

Though I do contend I was seeking a colourful description (rather than an ignorant characterization) and no assumptions were made. Also, I was differentiating between the usual southern accent -- which I actually find endearing -- and one which is monotone and nearly monosyllabic.

vCash
    I refuse to believe KMT/DM split

vCash
    IIRC, rumours of KMT/DM split actually first surfaced just after worlds from some Italian TV broadcast. Specifically that DM was retiring. He denied this via Twitter and rumours petered out. Now rumours have returned but no immediate public response from any party.

What patterns have split rumours + confirmations/denials had in the past with other pairs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    Now that Russian dance partner shuffle has quieted down, it's Canadian pairs turn...
    This.

vCash
    Ashley Cain is over 5'6" (168cm) according to her ISU bio. She switched to singles after she grew.
    Just a minor point but Ashley didn't switch to singles because she grew. Ashley was already competing in both singles and pair and she was already quite tall.

When she and Josh split she did not see it coming at all. She was completely shocked at the time.

Now, height may have been something that Josh was worried about, but up until that point they had been reasonably successful.

Ashley also continued to search for another partner because she wanted to continue pair. Happily for her, she's been very successful in singles too.

I only add this because I think it gives another insight into Josh's many partner changes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    I don't know anything about Wolfe (is he related to Sebastien?), but I think a year in juniors could be good for Purich as well. Isn't she too old by now though?

ETA: I looked up her birthdate, and yes, Purich will be 19 before July 1st, so she's aged out of the JGP.
    Doubtful they are related since Drew Wolfe is from Calgary. He's about 2 weeks older than Purich. I posted this Calgary Herald article from before 2013 Canadians earlier in this thread: http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald...9-097126c791e1

Drew Wolfe's competitive record through 2013 Canadians (he was 7th in Junior Men at 2014 Canadians and once competed in Novice Dance): http://www.tracings.net/wolf-drew.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-27-2014 at 04:56 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Why would they be finished? Kirsten & Dylan just said after the Olympics/Worlds that they were ready to continue on for another cycle and were motivated to go as far as 2018.
    How many times have we heard that from skaters before they broke up?

And not that public quotes mean much (especially if one partner decides to quit), but it's interesting to note that Kirsten said this right before the Olympics... “Dylan and I have a very special relationship. It’s rare in pairs and dance to have the relationship we have...We have gotten used to doing this together and I can say I wouldn’t want to do it with anyone else.”
    He is getting up there in age. Maybe he feels he's accomplished enough and doesn't want to put in four more years. She on the other hand is really young, so if he retires she can move on guilt free.

If this is true, I really do wonder what went wrong so fast.
    What makes you think anything "went wrong" other than the reality of the off season after the Olympics?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    And she was a skater who had only competed at the Junior level up till then.
    She was a three-time JGP medallist with Zach Donohue. Junior results are considered grounds for a hold. (At least by the old rules, coming in 4th was an advantage for switching to another country.) Medalling meant being subject to the control of USFS, which was especially bitter for juniors, who would have received an even lower financial investment in them from USFS.

Gilles & Weaver didn't have residency status at the time they applied for citizenship?
    They had residency (PR) status: they didn't have enough time residing in Canada after getting PR status to meet the citizenship residency requirements in time to get passports for the Olympics. It's possible for Reagan to get permanent residency status within the next year if he doesn't already have it, if the visa offices have recovered from last year's strike, in time to meet the current days-resident (three out of four years) requirement for citizenship, but not enough time for standard processing after he meets the requirements and submits the application, which, according to the CIC site, is 24 months for a standard application.

Anyway, I also read that the Canadian Government is considering changing some of its citizenship requirements and may toughen them up, so perhaps he will face a longer wait than Gilles & Weaver.
    The proposed changes -- ridiculous and counter-productive, since they target people with substantial ties to Canada, and in the case of students, have paid $$$$ to Canadian educational institutions -- would remove the up-to-one-year credit towards those physical residency requirements for citizenship for being in Canada under a student or temporary work permit, and up the physical residency requirements to four years instead of three. If he already had PR status, he'd meet the new requirements, but not have enough time to process the application, even with their promises to bring processing down to a year or less by 2016. If he doesn't, then he'd be in the exact position that Gilles and Weaver, plus under the new law, if passed -- it was tabled in winter, but seems to be on the front burner again -- the minister in charge of immigration will be granted the power to decide on his own whether to grant (or revoke) citizenship, instead of going through the legislative process the way Weaver and Gilles had to.

The catch is that, according to the original proposal, under anti-terrorist rhetoric, they are creating a two-tiered system for citizenship: those who are naturalized will sign the revised citizenship oath oath to say they plan to live in Canada indefinitely, and if they don't, can have citizenship revoked and be subject to fraud charges, while those born Canadian citizens can live wherever they want. It will be interesting to see if that passes judicial review if passed, or whether Reagan will be willing to risk it if it's passed and upheld. Weaver and Gilles didn't have to make any such promise.

He hasn't been with a partner long enough yet to know if this will be moot.

Quote Originally Posted by insideedgeua View Post
    Just a minor point but Ashley didn't switch to singles because she grew. Ashley was already competing in both singles and pair and she was already quite tall.
    I apologize. I did not type exactly what I was thinking, which was that she she switched to skating singles *only* now, because she grew. (Not necessarily by choice -- there are few Pairs woman who are that tall.)

Now, height may have been something that Josh was worried about, but up until that point they had been reasonably successful.
    So have Purdy/Marinaro. That doesn't mean it can't catch up or become a limiting factor over time, especially in the transition from junior- to senior-level expectations.

I only add this because I think it gives another insight into Josh's many partner changes
    It could well be, but he as with Cain for three years before he teamed up with Yankowskas: he wasn't partner-hopping until then. I hardly fault him for a chance to compete with a Worlds seeded skater. If he fulfilled his contract through the season, he was free to move on. That partnership was doomed with his injury, although many who saw Y/R at the time didn't expect it to last, anyway, since there was talk that they were dating. (If she did end it due to his injury, it didn't help her in the long run, since she didn't get a new partner until this year.) It's the switches after Yankowskas that could be more of a concern; I don't know any of the details of those splits.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast