Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I am at the implication that longer hemline=maturity and gravitas. This is an existing and very common stereotype in the corporate world and otherwise. Dowdiness does not equal goodliness.
    Too right .. I can be dowdy AND bitchy! Seriously, we had this conversation at work on another issue and all I can say is AMEN!!

vCash
    Watched the special on Queen Victoria on PBS last night. What an evil, controlling hag she was!! She loved sex, but hated having children....and she was awful towards her children, especially her daughters.

vCash
    I think the length of one's hemline should be decided based on what looks best on one's body and what works for the situation. Long hemlines are not necessarily dowdy just as short ones are not necessarily fashionable or attractive or vice versa. I very rarely wear anything above the knee simply because no matter what I do (diet, exercise etc) I will always have heavy looking knees in comparison to the rest of my body. Kneecap skimming lengths or, for evening, to the floor lengths, look the best on me. My legs are probably my worst feature. Now Kate, IMHO, doesn't have a worst feature. She seems to be able to wear almost anything. Hopefully she will continue to balance style, comfort, and royal presence. I look forward to seeing many more great looks!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Prince Harry is single again!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Posted earlier today :
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Prince Harry is once again the most eligible bachelor in the royal family:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27219684
    Kate [Middleton] Ready for 'Significant Upsurge' in Royal Duties: http://www.people.com/people/package...811490,00.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-01-2014 at 04:33 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh cool, thanks Sylvia. We can't overlook momentous royal news like this.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Britain apparently will have its first Black (African descent) Marchioness who recently appeared on the cover of Tatler. She's the daughter of a Nigerian oil tycoon ... she's marrying into a notoriously wild British aristocratic family:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...rchioness.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Britain apparently will have its first Black (African descent) Marchioness who recently appeared on the cover of Tatler. She's the daughter of a Nigerian oil tycoon ... she's marrying into a notoriously wild British aristocratic family:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...rchioness.html
    The snobbishness she has encountered may not have anything to do with race & everything to do with "not being one of our sort". Close-knit wealthy communities don't often embrace outsiders with open arms.

vCash
    She married into the family last June. The article is from April 2013. Here are a few pictures of her in her wedding dress. That is one eye-popping tiara! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...paintings.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    The snobbishness she has encountered may not have anything to do with race & everything to do with "not being one of our sort". Close-knit wealthy communities don't often embrace outsiders with open arms.
    Hmmm, I don't know a great deal about the matter, but I should think Ms. McQuiston, now married to Viscount Weymouth, is the best person to truly know what she has experienced up close and personal. As far as "close-knit wealthy communities," I think the British aristocracy is not necessarily the same as or necessarily characteristic of "close-knit wealthy communities," particularly those in America. There are all kinds of people in the world and a number of so-called "commoners" whether middle-class, upper-middle-class, or from a recent generation of wealth have married into aristocratic European families. As well, there have been movie stars, television celebs and working-class persons who have married into the aristocracy. Today's aristocracy is quite different from that of the 19th century and early twentieth century. And still even back then a number of wealthy and a few not so wealthy Americans (some Anglo-American) married into the British aristocracy.

In this particular case, apparently the former Ms. McQuiston knew and was in familiar association with her husband's family from a very young age, and so she's not exactly an outsider to the British upper-classes.

Thanks for the additional article link centerstage01. Weymouth and his bride look to be very happy together on their wedding day. Weymouth's parents (who skipped their son's wedding) seem to be a very strange pair (and that's putting it mildly). And Emma's mother is hard to look at with all the unfortunate lip-plumping. Oh well, ...

vCash
    DELETED DUPLICATE POST
    Last edited by Rex; 05-03-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: duplicate post

vCash
    I read about the Marchioness. I think she's lovely. She'll have a tough go of it - there aren't a lot of non-whites in the European royal families. I think Princess Angela of Lichtenstein is the only one I know of. She's Prince Maxmillian's wife. He is not next in line for the throne, so I think the family has been more accepting of the marriage and their child. She's also a dozen years older than Maxmillian. I think one of the Danish princes married a Eurasian woman, and the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg is a Latina. Other than that, European Royalty is, well, European.

On another non-BRF note, The Princely Family of Monaco is NOT happy with the upcoming Nicole Kidman movie about HSH Princess Grace.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    On another non-BRF note, The Princely Family of Monaco is NOT happy with the upcoming Nicole Kidman movie about HSH Princess Grace.
    Ick. I would not have cast NK as Princess Grace. I don't know who would be right though. She's kind of untouchable like Marilyn Monroe. No one can really pull off a good portrayal IMO. I hated Michelle Williams' attempt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Ick. I would not have cast NK as Princess Grace. I don't know who would be right though. She's kind of untouchable like Marilyn Monroe. No one can really pull off a good portrayal IMO. I hated Michelle Williams' attempt.
    Cheryl Ladd did Grace Kelly in a terrible TV film back in the 80s. She was patently awful. It's a challenge to find someone as relentlessly pretty as Grace was. Nicole is an attractive woman, but nothing like Princess Grace. Plus, at 47, I imagine she was not believable as a young bride in her late twenties.

And I did see Naomi Watts as Princess Diana, and she was okay. The movie itself was not great, but Naomi did a credible job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    It's a challenge to find someone as relentlessly pretty as Grace was. Nicole is an attractive woman, but nothing like Princess Grace.
    Can Kiira Korpi act?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Can Kiira Korpi act?
    That was my first thought!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    In 1983, Cheryl Ladd did a made for TV movie where she was Princess Grace.

Scene where she wins Oscar

The Wedding Dress

vCash
    Perhaps Gwyneth Paltrow would make a better Princess Grace than Nicole Kidman. Paltrow is a very accomplished American actress with a superb facility for accents. Gwyneth was obviously channeling Princess Grace when she won her Oscar many years ago for Shakespeare in Love. I didn't like the dress Gwyneth wore when she won her Oscar, and she could have done a better job with her hair too, but she did convey some of that Princess Grace sparkle. OTOH, I was all for Cate Blanchett winning that year for Elizabeth. Probably, even Naomi Watts would make a better Princess Grace, over Nicole Kidman.

Thanks for your comments Rex, re the Marchioness, Ms Mcquiston. Personally not knowing so much about her or her upbringing, nor about the British aristocracy on an intimate level, I'm not sure how "tough a go" of it she will have in terms of enjoying a good life with her husband. Most likely she and her husband already have a circle of friends who are fully accepting of them and their relationship. In this day and age, why exactly should the color of Ms. McQuiston's skin or her father's country of origin disqualify her from being accepted socially by the British aristocracy I wonder? What, are we still in the nineteenth-century mode of thinking about surface differences between human beings? ... Oops, okay, I guess many of us still are. OTOH, I think the reported eyebrow-raising mores and antics of Ms. McQuiston's father-in-law should be more unacceptable to most people (aristocratic or otherwise) than the color of Ms. McQuiston's skin, which is quite gorgeous. Plenty of more pale-complexioned people go to extreme lengths to gain a faux tan, while 'mixed-race' Ms. McQuiston benefits from having a naturally beautiful tan.

After recently doing some reading about the real events and characters that inspired Downton Abbey, it has become obvious to me that Europe, the aristocracy and the course of European history is a conundrum wrapped up in a complex weave of corruption, brutality, heroism, magnificence, plundering, wondrous creation, despotic destruction, greed, noble service, high ideals, and an unparalleled pursuit of pleasure for pleasure's sake. Of course, we could say that about world history as well, but culturally and historically Europe is still apparently considered the idealized center of western civilization.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Can Kiira Korpi act?
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    That was my first thought!
    You see a resemblance? I don't really, although I think Kiira is a lovely young lady, no doubt about that.

Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    In 1983, Cheryl Ladd did a made for TV movie where she was Princess Grace.

Scene where she wins Oscar

The Wedding Dress
    I mentioned this awful movie in my earlier post.

I know some of the BRFs were/are known racists, but most of them today seem a bit more open-minded. I'm sure Lady McQuinton will not totally be shunned - she'll get invites to some A-list royal shindigs.

And NO, GWYNNIE DOES NOT have any business playing Princess Grace IMO. Not only does she not resemble her, she would not be believable as a young bride either. She only thinks she looks like Grace. No.Fcuking.Way.

THAT'S all....

vCash
    Kiiri Korpi doesn't look like Princess Grace but she has the same kind of otherworldly beauty. Rex, I agree about Gwenneth Paltrow - ICK ICK ICK.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast