Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 462
  1. #61
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,371
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    It definitely was an interesting fashion time. I remember being in London in the mid 80's. Everyone was so drab. I can see why Diana made such a hit - she actually wore colourful clothing. It isn't so much the actual styles, but the way everything was put together. Her clothes, whether you liked them or not, were always exquisitely made and her accessories always perfect from shoe colour to hat and jewellery. Those things really set her apart from other very rich women.
    I never got the sense it was her personal style though - more things that people picked out for her, or things people told her looked good so she went for similar things when she had the choice.

    Years ago there was a touring exhibition of her dresses - some just seemed to overwhelm her delicate, feminine look (ie big plaids or overly flouncy stuff), especially combined with her signature sporty haircut and harsher 80s makeup. But there were definitely standouts - the one I recall most is the beautiful off the shoulder deep blue gown she wore to the White House and the iconic image of her dancing with John Travolta.

    With Kate, I really feel like she chooses her own clothes and that she has already defined a style of her own - and that it will continue to evolve, particularly as her role transitions over the years.

    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    If anyone fails to see the Queen's influence in Kate's wardrobe, they are willfully blind. We do know that super-bright colors are the Queen's trademark. Lower hemline may be in but so is tight, pencil skirt silhouette and you didn't see much of it on the tour.
    I see it, but I don't think it's any decree by the Queen or anything so formal. My guess would be that Kate herself takes her role seriously, and especially for the first big tour in awhile, took the time to choose her wardrobe. I wouldn't be surprised if she already knew or even if the Queen mentioned it to her over tea that a bright colour is a good idea in a crowd - I could see the Queen encouraging her, or it could have even been William. I can see her choosing some lower hemlines not because the Queen said anything, but because she knew she'd be photographed coming down the steps of a plane, crouching down to play with George and other children, at a few more somber events, etc. I can also see her still being a bit body conscious since the wedding weight loss and then the baby, so perhaps not being comfortable with showing more leg if they aren't in the shape she'd like or not going with a pencil skirt (which is also not the best choice for getting in and out of vehicles or crouching down to play with children).

    I could see the Queen weighing in more heavily on the jewels - suggesting pieces that were meaningful or that she thought would be suitable for Kate. As Queen she is caretaker of an extraordinary collection and how it is displayed, so of course she'd have an opinion or two about the tour. And that's where it would make a lot of sense of one of the Queen's people met with Kate to go through the choices and get it sorted out.

  2. #62
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,140
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    William made a couple of snarky remarks about the brightness of the colors she wore, so I doubt it's him. And she is in shape and may be even thinner than ever. There is a picture of her skirt blowing up in the wind upon arrival to NZ affording a really good look at her legs.

    She is taking her role seriously now vs. when? When did Kate ever demonstrate that she didn't take her role seriously? And how are longer skirts a sign of taking her role seriously? What a stereotype. Reminds me of the male CEO saying that women in high heels are dumb.

    Seriously.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  3. #63
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,371
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    And she is in shape and may be even thinner than ever. There is a picture of her skirt blowing up in the wind upon arrival to NZ affording a really good look at her legs.
    Just because we all think she looks great doesn't mean that she doesn't have some insecurities about her appearance. Most people do. For all we know she thinks she needs to lose more weight (I hope not) or that she's conscious of comments that she's too thin, or who knows.

    She is taking her role seriously now vs. when? When did Kate ever demonstrate that she didn't take her role seriously?
    I never said this is a new thing. I'm going by the fact that their courtship was long and that they even took a break from it. It's one thing to decide to marry someone, it's even another to decide to take a new job. But few potential spouses come with such huge responsibility, and few jobs put you in the global spotlight now and into the history books for centuries to come. So yeah, I think she didn't take the decision lightly, and once she made it and the engagement was announced, she has committed fully to both the marriage and her own role.

    And how are longer skirts a sign of taking her role seriously? What a stereotype. Reminds me of the male CEO saying that women in high heels are dumb.
    I didn't say that longer skirts are more serious for heaven's sake. I pointed out some potential reasons why she might have chosen a few longer skirts that didn't need to have anything to do with the Queen's influence, which you had suggested was the reason for the lower hemlines. By making her choices seriously I don't mean she's making serious choices; I mean that I think she's putting thought into it rather than just throwing clothes in her suitcase or having someone else do the thinking for her.

    I thought we were discussing the wardrobe and potential decision process, so I was simply contributing a few potential alternatives to the discussion. There's no need to argue about it when we're all just speculating anyway. This is supposed to be fun

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,535
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    With Kate, I really feel like she chooses her own clothes and that she has already defined a style of her own - and that it will continue to evolve, particularly as her role transitions over the years.
    I agree.

    I'm sure she listens to suggestions, if offered; but that the major decisions are hers.
    HMQ, loans the Duchess pieces from her own personal jewelry collection, on occasion.

  5. #65
    recovering Oly-holic
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the frozen, snowy north
    Posts
    1,259
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3166
    Years ago, I had a job where I was always out doing meet and greets, and I basically came up with a 'standard uniform' of jackets, dresses and skirts in different colours. For example, if you're going to bend or crouch down to talk to children or people in wheelchairs, that rules out anything too low cut or super fitted around your hips and knees. If you're going to be going up and down stairs or getting in and out of cars in front of a crowd (especially if you're photographed), then you want your hems to be at a certain length and nothing too fitted around the knees but not too flared either. If you're going to be eating in a group setting and then meeting people afterwards, you choose a colour that doesn't show stains as much (and carry that Tide stick in your purse!) So glad to have a job where I can have Pajama Mondays if I choose to!

    Back to the topic, I think Kate is figuring it out. For me she has more hits than misses with clothes.

  6. #66
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,140
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    I would not psychoanalyze Kate and her body insecurities. She could be a secure and confident woman ever or a neurotic wreck. We don't know. I don't find it useful or entertaining to make such personal conjectures but whatever floats your boat.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  7. #67
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,371
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    You said "if anyone fails to see the Queen's influence in Kate's wardrobe, they are willfully blind" and I simply suggested some other possible reasons for her wardrobe choices. I never said she had some big body image problems or pretended to psychoanalyze. Don't we all make choices about what we wear based on our own ideas of what looks good and what we think is less flattering? I think she's just picking clothes she feels look good on her, that are functional depending on what's on her schedule, and that she enjoys wearing. I don't understand why we're fussing about this when we're all clearly fans of Kate and enjoy chatting about her style together.

  8. #68
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,140
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    You said "if anyone fails to see the Queen's influence in Kate's wardrobe, they are willfully blind" and I simply suggested some other possible reasons for her wardrobe choices.
    You suggested a laundry list of reasons some of which are very improbable, e.g., William (who called her yellow dress a "banana" and thought the green coat was "very bright", so there goes that theory), that Kate is having body insecurities and therefore has longer hemlines (yet her state of physical fitness combined with wearing of body conscious clothing contradicts that). You can come up with other explanations but since quite a few reputable media sources had picked up the Queen made suggestions about wardrobe story , and because I am fond of Occam's razor, I am going to go with that.

    That she wears exactly what the original story suggested, longer hemlines, colors and jewels, the story is pretty much confirmed.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,218
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Twitter:

    BuzzFeed Australia ‏@BuzzFeedOz 43m
    The Definitive Ranking Of Kate Middleton’s Royal Tour Outfits http://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguillau...l-tour-outfits … #royalvisitaus #royalvisitnz

  10. #70
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,140
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    PERFECTION SHE IS THE QUEEN BOW DOWN BITCHES.
    With very few exceptions, I agree.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  11. #71
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,457
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post

    I think think Kate has a lot to offer. It think she is much more stable and will provide William with the love and stability he needs. It is perfectly selfish, but I just want it all. I want Kate, but with Diana's dressers' attention to detail. The beautiful construction and tailoring, perfectly pressed and presented garments, the beautifully matched and polished shoes, and the fabulous jewels. It is just selfishness on my part - I want it all - mental stability and perfectly groomed perfection.
    I think she does it better than Diana--I don't notice things like hemlines, and her taste level is much better. Kate tends to pick colors and shapes that generally flatter her, while Diana picked haircuts and colors that were fashionable but looked horrid on her (she never had an attractive haircut in her adult life.) She looks put together and appropriate rather than blindly trendy.

  12. #72
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,140
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    ITA. Kate has always known what looks good on her, before she became a royal. She has a very strong sense of self in terms of fashion, make up and hair--her hair has been the same for years in the public eye. Of course, it's beautiful and becoming, so why change it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  13. #73

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Home in England!!
    Posts
    2,493
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1014
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    You suggested a laundry list of reasons some of which are very improbable, e.g., William (who called her yellow dress a "banana" and thought the green coat was "very bright", so there goes that theory), that Kate is having body insecurities and therefore has longer hemlines (yet her state of physical fitness combined with wearing of body conscious clothing contradicts that). You can come up with other explanations but since quite a few reputable media sources had picked up the Queen made suggestions about wardrobe story , and because I am fond of Occam's razor, I am going to go with that.

    That she wears exactly what the original story suggested, longer hemlines, colors and jewels, the story is pretty much confirmed.
    Well if you are fond of Occam's razor then in truth you have to go with the simple fact that all those stories quote one source - the UK Daily Mail - which is renowned for it's flawed logic on many occasion. Therefore the most logical - and simple - line of thinking to take in regards to this issue is that the Queen has not made any declarations regarding what she thinks of Kate's wardrobe.

    Kate is now a mother and has become more comfortable and knowledgeable in her role as the Duchess of Cambridge - that alone allows for her variety of choice of clothes on this last tour, which has included both short and longer hemlines, subtle and bright colours, old and new clothes and a mixture of high-street and couture clothing. There have been many hits and a few misses - but all in all we saw a more mature and confident Kate than in the past - who does both herself and her family credit - and good for her I say.

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,751
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Well if you are fond of Occam's razor then in truth you have to go with the simple fact that all those stories quote one source - the UK Daily Mail - which is renowned for it's flawed logic on many occasion. Therefore the most logical - and simple - line of thinking to take in regards to this issue is that the Queen has not made any declarations regarding what she thinks of Kate's wardrobe.

    Kate is now a mother and has become more comfortable and knowledgeable in her role as the Duchess of Cambridge - that alone allows for her variety of choice of clothes on this last tour, which has included both short and longer hemlines, subtle and bright colours, old and new clothes and a mixture of high-street and couture clothing. There have been many hits and a few misses - but all in all we saw a more mature and confident Kate than in the past - who does both herself and her family credit - and good for her I say.
    Yes, because women without children cannot possibly be comfortable or knowledgable of their own role in life.

  15. #75
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,140
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Yes, because women without children cannot possibly be comfortable or knowledgable of their own role in life.
    IKR. How exactly is Kate more mature and confident now? I don't recall her lacking confidence or maturity, especially when she was married but even before, when she and the Prince had a falling out, she behaved with confidence. How do you even know, Lorac, what her feelings and level of confidence are? Or is it judged by the cut of her clothes and the length of her hemline?

    As to the rest of your post, your logic is just as flawed. A paper says they have a source the Queen will play a role in Kate's wardrobe. While the DM isn't the most reliable and frankly a tabloid, the story gets picked up by major media outlets, including TIME, HuffPo, ABC, etc. What do they know, right? Lorac knows it's not true, but they wouldn't listen and published it anyway.

    And on the tour, lo and behold, Kate is sporting clothes that fit the description in the original DM article AND, most importantly, appear to have the Queen's influence and taste. The simplest thing is that the broken clock, the DM, was right and a palace source did leak this information, not some vague and unfounded references to Kate's newly found maturity and confidence.

    Do you know why this rubs me wrong? I am at the implication that longer hemline=maturity and gravitas. This is an existing and very common stereotype in the corporate world and otherwise. Dowdiness does not equal goodliness.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 04-27-2014 at 01:45 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  16. #76
    Official FSU Alte Kacher
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking through my D7100 viewfinder
    Posts
    12,075
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20374
    I get the impression the Duchess is very comfortable in her own skin, and was, before marriage. She knows her rôle, and does a bang-up job at it. Besides, right now, Prince George is hogging the limelight.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

  17. #77

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Petaluma, CA
    Posts
    5,623
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8475
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Yes, because women without children cannot possibly be comfortable or knowledgable of their own role in life.
    Yes. Too true. And with the super secret fashion sense that comes with motherhood is the gift of extra leisure time to really concentrate on all things wardrobe.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

  18. #78
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,969
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39361
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  19. #79

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Home in England!!
    Posts
    2,493
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1014
    Prince Harry is once again the most eligible bachelor in the royal family:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27219684

  20. #80
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,751
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    IKR. How exactly is Kate more mature and confident now? I don't recall her lacking confidence or maturity, especially when she was married but even before, when she and the Prince had a falling out, she behaved with confidence. How do you even know, Lorac, what her feelings and level of confidence are? Or is it judged by the cut of her clothes and the length of her hemline?

    As to the rest of your post, your logic is just as flawed. A paper says they have a source the Queen will play a role in Kate's wardrobe. While the DM isn't the most reliable and frankly a tabloid, the story gets picked up by major media outlets, including TIME, HuffPo, ABC, etc. What do they know, right? Lorac knows it's not true, but they wouldn't listen and published it anyway.

    And on the tour, lo and behold, Kate is sporting clothes that fit the description in the original DM article AND, most importantly, appear to have the Queen's influence and taste. The simplest thing is that the broken clock, the DM, was right and a palace source did leak this information, not some vague and unfounded references to Kate's newly found maturity and confidence.

    Do you know why this rubs me wrong? I am at the implication that longer hemline=maturity and gravitas. This is an existing and very common stereotype in the corporate world and otherwise. Dowdiness does not equal goodliness.
    Where I disagree with you is the Daily Mail foolishness.

    Their story did not prove to be true other than a few longer hemlines which are precisely on trend right now, so that was a safe bet. She wore clothing she has worn before. She wore an Emilia Wickstead dress that was identical to one she had worn a couple of years ago just in a different color. The grey Easter McQueen coat was extremely similar to the coat she wore on the annual Christmas walk to church. The bright colors she chose for this tour reflected the environment and country colors and were mostly colors she has previously worn. The "no high street/ all couture/all custom" from the DM proved completely untrue as she turned up in a shirt from the Gap and an off the rack DVF wrap dress among other things (and the Queen would need a neurologist to check her mental faculties if she had made such an order in a time when the press obsessively tracks the costs of the Duchess's wardrobe!). And the final piece of the DM puzzle was that she would be wearing more royal jewelry. Again, didn't happen at all. She wore one item from the Queen's collection in NZ--which mirrors the Canadian tour in 2011 when she wore the maple leaf brooch. The rest of the jewelry was her usual understated items and all stuff she has worn in public before.

    The broken clock rightly predicted slightly longer hemlines on some (not all) dresses. And that can be attributed to general trend in fashion at this moment.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •