Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Our city's ice rink has just put in a rule for public skating: "no moves that take the foot above the knee, e.g. jumping". Since none of us adult skaters have jumps that are anywhere near getting our feet that high, we may go to a public skate session to do our jumps and see if we get kicked off
    Ha! My coach is yelling at me exactly because I stop my knee from going through on axel prep. I'm definitely a likely candidate for jumping at your rink .

vCash
    I don't understand rinks that don't allow any freestyle in the center of the rink. A large percentage of the instructors' incomes at the rink here, comes from teaching freestyle on public sessions, even though there about 65 (sixty five) freestyle sessions every week. People do double jumps during some of the publics. If it is crowded and I see (while guarding) people doing fs stuff not in the center, I tell them to go to the center; but if it isn't crowded we let them do it and no one gets hurt (unlike when the little boys in hockey skates weave through people at high speeds and fall/slide across the ice on purpose).

vCash
    unlike when the little boys in hockey skates weave through people at high speeds and fall/slide across the ice on purpose
    omg...yes, I'm the Mean Lady On Pubic Session who is telling kids to knock it off, whether it's flying around like maniacs, SKATING WHILE TEXTING, ARRRRGH!, or doing camel spins on crowded sessions right at the eye level of the toddler skaters.

We have a lot of clear ice on public some days, and really, it's the freestyle skaters who are usually most cautious and know how to look out. Not always...some seem to not take into consideration that the public ice people don't know the "rules of the road," so to speak, when it comes to right of way, and shouldn't be expected to. As the more skilled skater, it's up to them. But yes, on dead sessions, I don't see why jumps and some spins or moves couldn't be done.

And yes! yes! Whenever my kids do skate on public ice, so many parents and other kids come up and ask them, "How did you learn how to do that?" I say, give the freestyle skaters some Learn To Skate flyers and a sales pitch, and give them the public ice on busy sessions for lower cost or free. I think coaches used to be able to give low level lessons on public ice, but not any more. But I agree, on less crowded sessions, it helps save skaters money, but also drums up business. Heck, give low level lessons to little hockey kids! That really perks up parents around here. My 7yo son started playing hockey a year ago. He skated circles around the other kids. Parents were pulling me aside telling me how "naturally" talented he was or asking who his private hockey coach is. When I told them he's been taking Learn To Skate lessons and does a 15 minute lesson once in a while with a figure skating coach, suddenly, more little hockey kids started turning up at LTS and in private lessons.

Got off topic, there, but so much good by allowing higher level skaters doing fancy pants moves and spins on public. Again, during the holidays, it's way too crowded, but normal weekends? Why not?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12