Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    I am rooting for B&S now. I am not sure Zhulin is the best coach for them, but they don't sound like they might make a change. They sound rather grounded, and not making big waves.

I don't know why Dmitri thinks I&K's split may not last forever. Even the RSF has approved of the two new pairs, it seems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Great interview! Thanks for the translation. Is this a google translation? Normally one would not use the word 'pissed' in journalism. Colloquially it's used for 'angry', 'mad', 'upset' etc. but I wouldn't use it in writing because it means urinating.

ETA: Just looked up the Thesaurus. They list 'pissed' as drunk, bombed, etc., but not what I thought. In speaking I have always used it as 'angry' but it's not listed under 'angry' in Thesaurus.
    In the meaning angry, wouldn't it be 'pissed off', rather than just 'pissed'?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    No, many people use 'pissed' by itself to mean angry. In American English, at least here in the Northeast, I don't think I've ever heard 'pissed' to mean drunk. Maybe that's a British thing ?

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    In colloquial English, it's used both ways to mean angry, with or without off.

I love this interview!
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    No, many people use 'pissed' by itself to mean angry. In American English, at least here in the Northeast, I don't think I've ever heard 'pissed' to mean drunk. Maybe that's a British thing ?
    Pissed to mean drunk is a British thing. Never heard it in the US, except in movies that are British.
    I say I'm pissed to mean angry more than I say pissed off, though I guess I've said that too.

vCash
    Great interview! Thanks for the translation. Is this a google translation? Normally one would not use the word 'pissed' in journalism. Colloquially it's used for 'angry', 'mad', 'upset' etc. but I wouldn't use it in writing because it means urinating.

ETA: Just looked up the Thesaurus. They list 'pissed' as drunk, bombed, etc., but not what I thought. In speaking I have always used it as 'angry' but it's not listed under 'angry' in Thesaurus.
    The original Russian phrase does not contain the word "pissed". Злые мы сейчас, как не знаю кто. It is a colloquialism - the closest english phrase would be "We're so angry, we're besides ourselves". (They are angry at themselves. But in context is almost states "we're so angry that we are motivated (to fix all that has gone wrong)".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    I am American too (always lived in the west), and I believe Thesaurus (at least the one I see on the internet) gives American meanings. May be someone living in the UK would get the British version. I had never heard of these other meanings of 'pissed'. I always use it as 'angry, upset, etc.' So I was very surprised.

Here is the Thesaurus link:
    It lists every synonym except angry (the dictionary lists its meaning as 'drunk')

http://thesaurus.com/browse/pissed?_..._utmk=34832033

However, sometimes words do lose their original meanings due to colloquialism.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    College use in Western Massachusetts

From a different perspective, intoxicated Red Sox fan Tony “Anonymous” said “It is my natural-born right as a United States American and as a devoted fan to the Red Sox Nation to get ‘wicked mint pissah hammafaced’ and destroy everything in sight to express my undying love for the Boston Red Sox.” Tony was ecstatic about the game seven victory last night, as he showed off his Boston Red Sox “B” tattoo while screaming “All Bow Down to Pedroia,” at the top of his lungs
    http://dailycollegian.com/2007/10/22...-remain-quiet/

vCash
    Shush people! Be grateful someone translates for you

vCash
    Great interview! Thanks for the translation. Is this a google translation?
    Sure. I just run the interview through the google translate and post it here. What do you think????

vCash
    Thank you for the translation! As always, it is much appreciated.

I definitely haven't been their biggest fan, but I really like B/S as people. They do seem very grounded and mature, and they sound like fun people to be around. I hope they continue to develop well in this next Olympic cycle, and I hope they have better luck with the programs from here on out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Sure. I just run the interview through the google translate and post it here. What do you think????
    Sorry. Thanks for the translation.

vCash
    Love them to pieces! What a ridiculously good attitude and outlook they have!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Thank you so much for the translation, Thabka.

I wish we heard a little bit more on who actually made the decision change the music from the original FD to the classical pieces, and why they didn't just go back to the original music when the classical music clearly wasn't gelling with the original choreography. I've heard three versions of who was responsible for the change (First it was Zhulin, then it was Tarasova, then it was B&S themselves).

I *loved* the potential the original version of the FD at the test skate, and it received a generally positive reception there, so it still bugs me that they immediately went to work butchering it right after. I get that they loved the Madness FD, but I still don't get what was so bad about the original music and choreography for this year's FD that they couldn't just go back to it. Once they changed the music, added the barking sounds, added all the extra head and arm flapping movements, and the overly dramatic end with the squawking - *then* it wasn't working. The original version told the story in subtle way, and it only needed some polishing up, and maybe a final lift with a little more impact. *Le sigh*

vCash
    As a Brit, I can confirm that "pissed" can mean both "drunk" and "angry". To be "pissed off" means you are just angry.

vCash
    They are so down to earth...precisely the weakness of this team. It's funny how Bobrova looks like a good housewife and really wants to be one too.

vCash
    Thank you, TAHbKA!
    I guess I was one of them who were pleasantly surprised of their "mad" program in Finlandia 2012. It was the first of their programs since the gay sailors which I liked.
    That said, they seem to be nice persons, and I really hope that they can do more programs like the aforementioned.
    And indeed, it wouold be interesting to see her lifting him...

is lutz crazy!!!
    vCash
    I am American too (always lived in the west), and I believe Thesaurus (at least the one I see on the internet) gives American meanings. May be someone living in the UK would get the British version...
    My British take would be "pissed" is drunk. Angry, upset etc is more likely to be "pissed off". In my experience "pissed" on its own is rarely used to mean angry etc in the UK, that's more a US thing I think.

Thanks for the translation TAHbKA.

I haven't been a fan but I'm impressed by their attitude in this interview.
    Last edited by mella; 04-18-2014 at 02:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mella View Post
    My British take would be "pissed" is drunk. Angry, upset etc is more likely to be "pissed off". In my experience "pissed" on its own is rarely used to mean angry etc in the UK, that's more a US thing I think.
    Exactly; that's what I suggested above, but it seems that I was over-voted!

vCash
    I use "pissy" if I want to say I'm angry. "Pissed", to me, does usually mean "drunk" more often than not.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast