Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mella View Post
    My British take would be "pissed" is drunk. Angry, upset etc is more likely to be "pissed off". In my experience "pissed" on its own is rarely used to mean angry etc in the UK, that's more a US thing I think.

Thanks for the translation TAHbKA.

I haven't been a fan but I'm impressed by their attitude in this interview.
    May be it depends on where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Exactly; that's what I suggested above, but it seems that I was over-voted!

Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I use "pissy" if I want to say I'm angry. "Pissed", to me, does usually mean "drunk" more often than not.
    I have never heard anyone say "pissy". It's either 'pissed' or 'pissed off' and they both are used for 'angry, upset, etc.'. I had never heard of it being used as 'drunk' until I looked up the dictionary. Again, it must depend on where you live. I am in the USA and if I used 'pissed' to mean drunk, I doubt that others will understand what I meant.....or does it depend on where in the USA you are? I don't know the answer to that.

Back on topic, I am looking forward to watching B&S next year. I was kind of ignoring them as a mediocre pair (even though they had the world bronze), but they sound like great people. I wish them lots of luck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    May be it depends on where you live.

I have never heard anyone say "pissy". It's either 'pissed' or 'pissed off' and they both are used for 'angry, upset, etc.'. I had never heard of it being used as 'drunk' until I looked up the dictionary. Again, it must depend on where you live. I am in the USA and if I used 'pissed' to mean drunk, I doubt that others will understand what I meant.....or does it depend on where in the USA you are? I don't know the answer to that.

Back on topic, I am looking forward to watching B&S next year. I was kind of ignoring them as a mediocre pair (even though they had the world bronze), but they sound like great people. I wish them lots of luck.
    OT: My experience with the word 'pissed', 'pissed off' and 'pissy' has been more or less the same as yours Vash. I have pretty much always lived in the NY tri-state area, other than a few years in PA. If someone said "he's completely pissed", I would assume they meant he's angry. I have never heard it to mean drunk. I have seen 'pissy' on an internet blog to describe someone as bitchy or rude, but I am not sure where the original author was from.

On topic: B&S come across as very real and endearing people in this interview. I haven't been much of a fan of their skating, but they seem to be very grounded in their abilities, and not at all the frustrating drama-queens with squandered talent that certain other Russian ice dance teams turned out to be this season . I'm slowly warming up to them.
    Last edited by escaflowne9282; 04-18-2014 at 05:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    On topic: B&S come across as very real and endearing people in this interview. I haven't been much of a fan of their skating, but they seem to be very grounded in their abilities, and not at all the frustrating drama-queens with squandered talent that certain other Russian ice dance teams turned out to be this season . I'm slowly warming up to them.
    I agree that B&S seem to be down to earth and generally nice people (e.g. Bobrova sold the car they all got for the Olympic gold medal and gave the money to charity). However, I have to admit that the drama among Russian dancers makes our life more exciting. What would we be discussing if I/K did not split/leave Morozov? It made the off season more interesting. Personally, I can't wait to see both new couples - who turns out stronger in the autumn, who beat whom at the nationals, who will place at Europeans and worlds... In the past few years we knew who will get gold/silver in dance and the fight was only for bronze at worlds. Now we don't know, and there are new couples which may be pleasant or unpleasant surprise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I'm English. I think "pissy" is a UK thing.

vCash
    I agree that B&S seem to be down to earth and generally nice people (e.g. Bobrova sold the car they all got for the Olympic gold medal and gave the money to charity). However, I have to admit that the drama among Russian dancers makes our life more exciting. What would we be discussing if I/K did not split/leave Morozov? It made the off season more interesting. Personally, I can't wait to see both new couples - who turns out stronger in the autumn, who beat whom at the nationals, who will place at Europeans and worlds... In the past few years we knew who will get gold/silver in dance and the fight was only for bronze at worlds. Now we don't know, and there are new couples which may be pleasant or unpleasant surprise.
    I would find it more entertaining/exciting were it not for the fact that I&K were just starting to hit the ground running, so to speak. Now , based on all of the stories going on behind the scenes, it just feels like they're throwing away what could have been a terrific career thanks to off-ice bullshit that neither was mature enough to overcome.

I wish I could be more excited about either new team in the Fall, but dance is not like pairs which is more reliant on jumps and throws, it requires such a deep level of unity and awareness of the other person, both below the blade with the entire body. You can not just come together in the summer and expect to be on the medal stand the next season.

It all makes me long for the days of G&P and U&Z. Now, those were four drama queens who knew not cut off your nose to spite your face.

Oh well, at least the oily man-skank is done as a coach.

Back on topic: I think that B&S come across as wonderful people. I liked their Proust program from a few seasons ago, and the Russian Sailor's dance from 2010. I hope they are given better material from now on, and not concepts that are too out of character.
    Last edited by escaflowne9282; 04-18-2014 at 09:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Ha! Good for Dmitri for rejecting her traditional gender roles.
    That was indeed a very unexpected (especially given the current socio-political climate in Russia) moment.

vCash
    I would find it more entertaining/exciting were it not for the fact that I&K were just starting to hit the ground running, so to speak. Now , based on all of the stories going on behind the scenes, it just feels like they're throwing away what could have been a terrific career thanks to off-ice bullshit that neither was mature enough to overcome.
    I wish I could be more excited about either new team in the Fall, but dance is not like pairs which is more reliant on jumps and throws, it requires such a deep level of unity and awareness of the other person, both below the blade with the entire body. You can not just come together in the summer and expect to be on the medal stand the next season.

It all makes me long for the days of G&P and U&Z. Now, those were four drama queens who knew not cut off your nose to spite your face.
    At Europeans you can. There will be only the Italians and Bobrova-Soloviev. So unless the British couple delivers something strong again, one of the new Russian couples may squeeze on the podium, and that makes me curious which one.

vCash
    Oh well, at least the oily man-skank is done as a coach.
    A coach with his experience and success will have no trouble getting lots of students in the US.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    A coach with his experience and success will have no trouble getting lots of students in the US.
    Has he officially moved back to the US to coach? If so, you're sadly correct.

vCash
    Has he officially moved back to the US to coach? If so, you're sadly correct.
    Yes. He's back to Hackensack, New Jersey.

vCash
    Now except for the changes Dima mentioned the steps and the twizzles will change. We are waiting for the ISU communique with the explanations. It'll be so interesting.
    Is ISU is changing the Twizzle element?

vCash
    I agree that B&S seem to be down to earth and generally nice people (e.g. Bobrova sold the car they all got for the Olympic gold medal and gave the money to charity).
    I had no clue about this... That's really awesome of her to do.

vCash
    However, I have to admit that the drama among Russian dancers makes our life more exciting. What would we be discussing if I/K did not split/leave Morozov? It made the off season more interesting. Personally, I can't wait to see both new couples - who turns out stronger in the autumn, who beat whom at the nationals, who will place at Europeans and worlds... In the past few years we knew who will get gold/silver in dance and the fight was only for bronze at worlds. Now we don't know, and there are new couples which may be pleasant or unpleasant surprise.
    ITA

Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282
    I think it is harsh to call Elena immature and to refer to the situation as bullshit. How old was she when got involved with Morozov? What level of maturity do you expect from a teenager involved with an older man who from all accounts appears to take advantage of young women's or teen girl's vulnerability and naivete? And if the rumours are true, another woman began pregnant with his child while she was involved with me.

Getting away from him probably is the smart thing for her to do. It's easy to understand that she wouldn't want to be around him and/or isn't able to do her best with him as her coach, given the emotional baggage/fall-out that she's been left with.

That said, ice dance is more interesting to me without I/K. Much as I loved their Black Swan, I wasn't looking forward to their dominating the field for the next four years due to their dramatic Russian style. They do have the 'wow' factor, but I don't think they are so clearly ahead of the rest of the field as the judges seem to have determined.

I'm excited that W&P have a real shot at Gold now and wonder what they'll come up with for next season. I like that Italians as well, and also B/S - I hope they do what it takes to remain Russia #1. I wasn't crazy about their programs this season, but have a special fondness for them as due to the charming sailor program they did for their original folk dance in 2012. There is something very genuine and charming about their skating - a completely opposite to the bold, big and dramatic style of I/K.

There is going to movement for at least a season or two. It is exciting not knowing who is going to be #1 and #2, which has been the case for the past four years. Mind you, none of the current teams IMO are at the level of V/M and D/W, but I expect we are going to see improvement in the top five teams at least, what with the ranking being opened up.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    W/P FTW
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    W/P FTW
    Iwant Kaitlyn to be fierce in the Paso I'm sure she will be.
    I remember her in the Latin SD in the animal print costume She came out meaning business

vCash
    Thanks for the translation. What an interesting interview!

If injury doesn't intervene, they could be 2018 Olympic champions. It certainly seems as if they have the necessary work ethic and the required drive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    Iwant Kaitlyn to be fierce in the Paso I'm sure she will be.
    I remember her in the Latin SD in the animal print costume She came out meaning business
    I always thought Weaver is too cute for passionate expression but Poje

Flamenco OD 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23lp4s_vvcM
    Last edited by elif; 04-19-2014 at 06:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Thanks for the translation. What an interesting interview!

If injury doesn't intervene, they could be 2018 Olympic champions. It certainly seems as if they have the necessary work ethic and the required drive.
    Also Zhulin has four years to make the necessary improvements and they already have great edges and good speed
    Their twizzles already improved a ton in the first year with Zhulin so we know he can fix them - and now he doesn't have to rush those changes because some will take a while.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    ITA

I think it is harsh to call Elena immature and to refer to the situation as bullshit. How old was she when got involved with Morozov? What level of maturity do you expect from a teenager involved with an older man who from all accounts appears to take advantage of young women's or teen girl's vulnerability and naivete?
    If you expect a lower level of maturity from her, why is it harsh to call her immature when she shows it?

Count me in among those who respect B/S for their mature outlook on their skating. Not only don't they blame Zhulin, but they've worked to figure out what they need to do to have better communication and a stronger collaborative relationship. Zhulin must be thanking his lucky stars that they are his skaters.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    If you expect a lower level of maturity from her, why is it harsh to call her immature when she shows it?
    I don't expect a lower level from her, rather a level appropriate for her age. To me calling someone immature implies that they should be more mature for their age.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast