vCash

Interview with choreographer Lance Vipond

Vipond works to keep creative vision in routines
    Despite a restrictive IJS, choreographer aims for unique performances
    Posted 4/16/14 by Vladislav Luchianov, special to Icenetwork
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/04/16/72249344
    Excerpt:
    Icenetwork: Where do you see skating choreography heading in the future and how will its role evolve?

Vipond: I hope that we see skaters taking more risks, working outside of their comfort zones in terms of the music/costumes that they choose and the ways that they choose to express themselves. I'd like to see more genuine personalities. Times are changing; society is changing. Art is always changing and evolving.

I think in order to keep figure skating alive and thriving, we need to encourage skaters to break out of the boxes that we've expected them to exist in for so many generations now and to let them show us who they really are -- to express what they truly want to say as people and as artists, and to shake things up a bit, or a lot even.
    ETA: Vipond is the longtime choreographer for Kaetlyn Osmond and for Lawrence/Swiegers this past season.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-16-2014 at 11:18 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Liked it. Thanks for posting.

vCash
    Agree with Lance.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Love the comment from Parker Pennington!

vCash
    Vipond: I feel like with all of the details that the judging panel has to look after while they are watching a program that there is no way for them to actually be able to assess if the skater has created something magical out on the ice. I think you need to be able to sit there and take it all in: the feeling, the mood, the emotion.
    If you are constantly coming in and out of the performance to make notes and judge elements, how can you be 100 percent invested in what you are watching? And if you are not 100 percent invested in what you are watching, then you are bound to miss things. I think a lot of very special performances go undermarked because the judges miss out on being able to fully take in what makes it special. The audience gets to sit and enjoy. This might explain why there is often a discrepancy between the audience favorites and the judges' favorites.
    Absolutely agree with this. Another reason why there needs to be two separate panels for PCS and TES.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Absolutely agree with this. Another reason why there needs to be two separate panels for PCS and TES.
    Amen. A thousand times. It is nice to see the pros saying the same thing (certainly not the first one, either).
    improving my ballad- like lines