Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    I still miss him.

vCash
    No-one has ever interpreted music like John. I was lucky enough to see him at the Royal Albert Hall in London where his company skated to a full orchestra on the ice. There is a wonderful statue of him at iceSheffield (the practice rink when Europeans were held there), which captures a great deal of his "essence". I just love to look at it every time I visit.
    By the way, his mother recently celebrated her 100th birthday!

vCash
    He was a master of this sport, a real artist, and a great influence on so many skaters on choreographers.

He died way too young, as so many did, of a terrible disease.

vCash
    The video of Curry and Janet Lynn in a PBS special is unbelievable! Snow Queen. It is mesmerizingly beautiful! Truly ballet on ice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Eyiavf_gqk

vCash
    John Curry is one of the skaters that every skater should aspire to emulate. His posture was gorgeous, his use of his arms and upper body was truly remarkable and he felt every note of music down to his fingertips. I'm generally not a fan of figure skating from the 1970s, but he is one of the few exceptions.

vCash
    Here's another clip of John and Janet from "The Snow Queen":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCH4ewjlUhA

vCash
    John Curry always interpreted and expressed music through his skating- his blades, his whole body, the variations based on the music. He did not just focus on facial expressions. I really appreciate that about him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Time to dust off a few goodies in memory of John I think. The first is his complete set of exhibitions from the 1974 Europeans in Zagreb. This has been seen before but only in black and white and poor quality.

John Curry 1974 Europeans EX

The second has not been seen in its entirety in over 40 years. Here is John Curry's brilliant free skate from the 1973 World Championships in Bratislava. He was so under-marked here but this was his best international long programme of his career at this point in time.

John Curry 1973 Worlds LP

These are real treasures so I hope that you enjoy them.
    Floskate,

I thought I had watched all the John Curry videos on Youtube, and here you have two more new videos I haven't seen!!!!! I can't thank you enough. Do you have a video of his 1972 Sapporo Olympic performances?

Some posters have written that Curry has influenced many a skater and choreographer, but I cannot somehow believe it. If only that were true, we would be seeing more beautiful skating.

Recently, I've seen Hanyu and Machida being interviewed together and Hanyu was saying "I only have jumps, but Machida has artistry." I wish Hanyu would learn from Curry to improve posture, carriage, fluidity on ice, etc.
    I would give Hanyu the following two Curry performances as exercises for him to do, until he becomes watchable. I particularly like the Mozart piece. The music, already sublime, is illuminated and enhanced by Curry's skating.

John Curry - Carmen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syYlSFtQjoo

John Curry – Mozart
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbOrk_DDdrk

His premature death is a great loss to figure skating, but were he still with us, would ISU listen to him?

vCash
    Doubtful!
    The ISU doesn't "listen" to anyone.

vCash
    The fact that John Curry's performances are still viewed so fondly today speaks to the power of artistry and elegance. Technical standards improve over time. Jumps that wowed audiences a few decades ago are blah today. But art is timeless.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
    Floskate,

I thought I had watched all the John Curry videos on Youtube, and here you have two more new videos I haven't seen!!!!! I can't thank you enough. Do you have a video of his 1972 Sapporo Olympic performances?

Some posters have written that Curry has influenced many a skater and choreographer, but I cannot somehow believe it. If only that were true, we would be seeing more beautiful skating.

Recently, I've seen Hanyu and Machida being interviewed together and Hanyu was saying "I only have jumps, but Machida has artistry." I wish Hanyu would learn from Curry to improve posture, carriage, fluidity on ice, etc.
    I would give Hanyu the following two Curry performances as exercises for him to do, until he becomes watchable. I particularly like the Mozart piece. The music, already sublime, is illuminated and enhanced by Curry's skating.

John Curry - Carmen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syYlSFtQjoo

John Curry – Mozart
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbOrk_DDdrk

His premature death is a great loss to figure skating, but were he still with us, would ISU listen to him?
    You're very welcome! I don't have his 1972 Olympic performance I'm afraid, but it's on my wishlist. I'm also still on the lookout for his two other great free skates from 1974 and 1975 Europeans. He really should have won the 1975 Euro's but coming on the back of his nightmare at 1974 Worlds it's probably not surprising.

I agree with skatesindreams. If the ISU won't listen to someone as influential as Dick Button, John would have had no hope, but he would have deplored skating as it is today apart from a very few rare instances.

vCash

I don't find Hanyu unwatchable, but there are certainly areas where he could improve. But being smart about the scoring, he would have to be given the right incentive.

You're very welcome! I don't have his 1972 Olympic performance I'm afraid, but it's on my wishlist. I'm also still on the lookout for his two other great free skates from 1974 and 1975 Europeans. He really should have won the 1975 Euro's but coming on the back of his nightmare at 1974 Worlds it's probably not surprising.

I agree with skatesindreams. If the ISU won't listen to someone as influential as Dick Button, John would have had no hope, but he would have deplored skating as it is today apart from a very few rare instances.
    I agree, and it's a pity. Curry's skating is beuatiful - his lines, posture, and elegance are second to none. I don't see his impact on IJS skating at all, and interestingly I have seen at least one skater remark on it - Brian Joubert, of all people:

I have to say that transitions in edges do add a lot to skating. When you watch skaters from the past on YouTube, like John Curry or Robin Cousins [Olympic gold medalists in 1976 and 1980, respectively], you can see that they did skate many edge transitions, and it was beautiful to watch. But additional arm movements do not bring nearly as much, at least I feel so.
    I wonder, had Curry not passed away so young, if he might have continued with his unique kind of show skating and perhaps inspired more skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I don't find Hanyu unwatchable, but there are certainly areas where he could improve. But being smart about the scoring, he would have to be given the right incentive.
    Zemgirl,

I only meant 'watchable' in the context of these two particular programmes. Hanyu is immensely watchable when it comes to programmes with difficult jumps, spins and certain types of music (where his posture doesn’t ruin the overall look of the programme, eg Parisian Walkway). However, with his current skills Hanyu wouldn’t be able to skate Curry’s Carmen and Mozart. He wouldn’t be able to move me the way Curry does.

vCash
    I only meant 'watchable' in the context of these two particular programmes. Hanyu is immensely watchable when it comes to programmes with difficult jumps, spins and certain types of music (where his posture doesn’t ruin the overall look of the programme, eg Parisian Walkway). However, with his current skills Hanyu wouldn’t be able to skate Curry’s Carmen and Mozart. He wouldn’t be able to move me the way Curry does.
    Oh, I know what you meant. But in Hanyu's defense, I think most current skaters would find it difficult to emulate John Curry's performances, if only because they don't have the sort of blade control that comes from years of training figures. But even with that background, neither would most of Curry's contemporaries - he was a special skater, period. Talented as he is, I don't think Hanyu has it in him to be that kind of skater. But he could be a better skater in certain areas - his posture certainly being one of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leigh466 View Post
    The video of Curry and Janet Lynn in a PBS special is unbelievable! Snow Queen. It is mesmerizingly beautiful! Truly ballet on ice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Eyiavf_gqk
    Thanks for this - I hadn't seen it. I was a huge fan of Janet Lynn but I found my eyes were constantly on Curry in this video. His skating was sublime.

vCash
    I have mixed feelings about it. As much as I love Curry's skating, a sport changes with time. The artistic elegance was replaced with more athletic jumps and I can enjoy both. I do wish the IJS would give credit to Curry-like elegance though. It's not really covered in the PCS. Before the IJS at least the judges rewarded those qualities.

I don't understand the harsh criticism of Hanyu in some other posts. He belongs to another generation, another judging system, and almost another sport at this point. I find his youthfulness attractive. He is only 19 so there is lots of time for him to develop, but if he wants to win more titles, he will need to focus on what the current system wants.

What's really hurting FS right now from continuing Curry's legacy is the lack of high quality pro skating- competitive or otherwise. I am only talking of North America. It seems in Japan there is a good market, and that's where skaters can start working on the qualities exemplified by Curry. There is also a need for skaters that can actually teach those, and I am afraid they are fast disappearing.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Curry had triples through 3Lo. It was another eight years before the Olympic champion had harder jump content. Few skaters at the time who had similar content were interested in emulating Curry. He was truly trying to translate ballet to ice. He wanted to be a ballet dancer, but his father forbid it, and he translated ballet to skating.

The criticism of Hanyu is that he's scored as if he was there already.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I have mixed feelings about it. As much as I love Curry's skating, a sport changes with time. The artistic elegance was replaced with more athletic jumps and I can enjoy both. I do wish the IJS would give credit to Curry-like elegance though. It's not really covered in the PCS. Before the IJS at least the judges rewarded those qualities.
    What is it that you consider part of "Curry-like elegance" that isn't covered in the PCS? The adjectives you used in post 27, for example, certainly should be considered in the PCS marks these days (particularly interpretation).

vCash
    Such a fantastic skater. Definitely my favorite, and I'm sad I wasn't born at this time. I would have loved to live the revolution he made into Figure Skating.

vCash
    The second has not been seen in its entirety in over 40 years. Here is John Curry's brilliant free skate from the 1973 World Championships in Bratislava. He was so under-marked here but this was his best international long programme of his career at this point in time.

John Curry 1973 Worlds LP

These are real treasures so I hope that you enjoy them.
    Oooooh, wonderful!!! Thank you so much!!!

I did see this performance on tv at the time, and it is fantastic to be able to rewatch it now...
    Last edited by Jaana; 04-18-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast