Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Twenty years ago today

Twenty years ago today, April 15, 1994, the sport lost one of its most beautiful figures to a hideously ugly disease.

Here is John Curry's Olympic skate. How is it physically possible to have such perfect posture?

vCash
    Gazpacho, thank you for opening this thread!

Yes, the openness of his chest, the way he holds his head, and his spread eagles are something every figure skater should try to learn! His soulfullness is something you can not teach, it just comes if it comes.

This program you linked shows that you can be one of the greatest without quads. A well-executed 2a is enough. John Curry!

vCash
    Thank you for this thread. Of course I know who John Curry was but I have never seen him skate. And he skated really beautifully. I'm also surprised at the quality of the video. It is really very good.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I loved him so much.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Three more examples of his glorious skating:

John Curry - La Valse 1983 IPFSC
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D3u9lNeuUc

John Curry Tarantella
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z79SDUYqlt4

John Curry - After All
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXJqsoFwUic

Thanks to floskate for sharing these!

vCash
    Thanks for opening this wonderful tribute thread to John Curry, Gazpacho. I cannot believe it is 20 years since his passing.

It was so nice to open all the You Tube links to his wonderful performances and I truly enjoyed the opportunity to see the Maestro interviews shared by Floskate!!! I had never heard John Curry speak so much before and so frankly. I especially enjoyed his discussion on how he worked with the music to find just the right places for the elements in his program.

It was rather sad to hear him explain that he had to "dumb down" his program for the judges so that they could actually be able to see he had completed all his elements. Not to mention his very frank opinion on corrupt judging in general.

I'm glad that he had the opportunity to pursue his dream of choreographing for his own ice company - I only wish he could have lived longer and continued to develop more works of art.

vCash
    I have only seen videos of John Curry, and probably just 2 or 3 (not seen the vids posted in this thread yet), but he was a beautiful skater. Later skaters were measured by how they would stack up against him, in terms of lines, posture. Paul Wylie once said that he attended a one week camp with Curry, and it impacted him greatly. We saw that influence in Paul's skating. My most favorite John Curry performance was Don Quixote at the 1976 worlds. Of course I watched it long after he had performed it.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I was lucky enough to see two of his programs when his company came to the Metropolitan Opera House in the 1980's. He was sublime.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    ^
    Lucky you! Would have loved to have been there.

vCash
    Curry's Olympic skate is one of my favorite skates ever. Every beat of the music is actually interpreted.

All it's missing is one of those glorious COP 40-second footwork sequences, featuring every turn in skating imaginable. Yes, I'm being sarcastic.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Thanks for the thread.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    John Vinocur's article on Curry is available online. This is the article that effectively outed him and published just before his gold medal. Vinocur had presented as interested and off the record and severely damaged John's confidence. The aversion to male grace still exists IMHO but, with this years podium of Hanyu and D10...and the likes of Brown, Rippon and Machida it's quite satisfying to see that grace can now be a prerequisite of being a champion.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3871,2089716

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I saw his show live as well. Never saw him compete live, but he and Toller Cranston in 1976 were the first male skaters who really captured my attention. I remember ladies and pairs from 1968 and 1972, but I don't remember paying much attention to the men in those years (I was 7, 11). For example, I don't remember watching Wolfgang Schwartz/Tim Wood or Ondrej Nepela, but I do remember being disappointed that John Misha Petkevich didn't win a medal.
    Last edited by Rob; 04-16-2014 at 02:41 PM.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Vacant
    vCash
    Time to dust off a few goodies in memory of John I think. The first is his complete set of exhibitions from the 1974 Europeans in Zagreb. This has been seen before but only in black and white and poor quality.

John Curry 1974 Europeans EX

The second has not been seen in its entirety in over 40 years. Here is John Curry's brilliant free skate from the 1973 World Championships in Bratislava. He was so under-marked here but this was his best international long programme of his career at this point in time.

John Curry 1973 Worlds LP

These are real treasures so I hope that you enjoy them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I was lucky enough to see two of his programs when his company came to the Metropolitan Opera House in the 1980's. He was sublime.
    Lucky you, indeed!

Here are some reviews

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/07/28/ar...met-opera.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/1984/07/27/ar...t-the-met.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/1984/08/12/ar...as-an-art.html
    http://www.csmonitor.com/1984/0830/083050.html

About audience response:
    http://www.csmonitor.com/1984/1107/110713.html

vCash

vCash
    I enjoyed seeing his Oly skate again. Of course I've seen it many times since my original viewing in 1976 but I never get tired of it. I remember wanting to watch skating that year specifically for Dorothy Hamil but I ended up being mesmerized by Curry. The world not only lost a wonderful skater but also a fantastic coach. He was able to pass on to his skaters (regardless of jump ability) a beautiful lyrical quality in their skating.

vCash
    Upon rewatching, I noticed that he spins equally in both directions. Very unique!

If only his disease could have waited a few years. There have been so many advancements in the treatment of AIDS that if he had been struck just a few years later, he may very well still be with us today

vCash
    Amazing. And so sad. We are lucky to be able to still see the beauty of Curry's skating. That will live on.

Thanks for posting this thread, Gazpacho.

O-

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    All it's missing is one of those glorious COP 40-second footwork sequences, featuring every turn in skating imaginable. Yes, I'm being sarcastic.
    And if Curry had done one, I believe it would truly have been glorious!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast