61 31.77%
  • bronze

34 17.71%
  • 4th or lower

33 17.19%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

How could healthy and clean Kwan have done in Turin

Had Kwan been fully healthy for the 2006 Olympics and skated a clean short and clean long with 6 triples, how would she have placed. I am guessing somewhere from 2nd to 4th given the other performances. People said before the Games she had no chance, but with Mao out due to injury, all the mistakes, if she improved her COP friendliness of programs and skated cleanly with more jumps than the others I think she could win a medal, although probably not the gold.

vCash
    Mao wasn't in Torino because she was to young to compete not because of injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Mao wasn't in Torino because she was to young to compete not because of injury.
    Oh I thought she missed due to ankle injury. That is sad she couldnt compete when she was the best skater in the world that year. Couldnt she have sued?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    Oh I thought she missed due to ankle injury. That is sad she couldnt compete when she was the best skater in the world that year. Couldnt she have sued?
    I'm guessing you came into skating kinda late.

There was a big broo-ha-ha about Mao not being able to compete that year. She'd actually won the GPF ahead of Irina and the rest and was the most technically capable skater that year. But even though the JSF plead their case, the ISU wouldn't budge. She was too young so she stayed home.

No one knows how Michelle would have done. She wasn't healthy at all that year but if she could have skated a great program with 6-triples, depending on where she'd placed in the SP (probably 4th), I think a clean Kwan at the Olympics would have done enough to beat a 5-triple Shizuka and win gold.

But, as with all hypothetical situations, we'll never know...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I'm guessing you came into skating kinda late.

There was a big broo-ha-ha about Mao not being able to compete that year. She'd actually won the GPF ahead of Irina and the rest and was the most technically capable skater that year. But even though the JSF plead their case, the ISU wouldn't budge. She was too young so she stayed home.
    It's also worth noting that Yu-Na Kim (aka GOAT ) did swept the Junior circuit that year including beating Mao by a large margin at Junior Worlds (though Mao didn't skate very well). She certainly could have been a contender based on her ability but was also too young for ISU Championships and opted to stay on the JGP rather than move up like Mao.

vCash
    Didn't you make this thread 5 other times already

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Bronze or 4th ... but I wanted gold so badly for her back then

vCash
    With clean skates she would be 5th behind Suguri due to the heavy behind scenes politics the Japanese invested in the overscoring of Arakawa and Suguri. After all Shizuka never deserved her scores or the gold. Cohen even with her 1 fall and 1 hand down should have beaten her, since she made 5 triples, the same as shizuka, and had a way better short and wasnt doing a 100 year old program like Shizuka. Considering Slutksaya should have beaten Shizuka in the short by about 10 points she probably should have beaten her too even with her bad long performance. Suguri never should have beaten Rochette, Meissner, and Emily Hughes. So some heavy behind the scenes Japanese work was at play. The Japanese had no medal at those games yet and they sure as heck were going to make sure of atleast one, even if the 3 favorites- Arakawa, Kostner, and Cohen all went clean.

vCash
    That Slutskaya got 65 for a short program that probably deserved more like 75 and Shizuka a 66 for a short that deserved more like 60 I already knew the fix was in, and mostly in favor of the Japanese team.

vCash
    If someone of her calibre went clean, she would probably be given high PCS to win the whole thing, just because Arakawa, Cohen and Slutskaya were all subpar.

vCash
    Michelle's 2006 program were awful - it's a blessing in disguise no one saw them, except for the Totentanz outing at that cheezefest. Regardless, with two clean skates and upgraded spins and steps she could have contended for gold given the general crappiness of the competition (although Sasha's short program performance was definitely one for the ages).

vCash
    What do you mean by healthy? If you mean like completely healthy to the point where Kwan would be near her prime and fully conditioned for the Olympics, then Kwan would have definitely improved the level of her elements and skated with much more confidence and ease. People, I think, forget what Kwan's skating was actually like when she was at her best condition. She already had the footwork and spiral sequence to compete with the top three (even when she was out-of-shape and clearly injured, her excellent basics and line showed through in her footwork and spiral sequence in Totentaz). Although the COP rules at the time hurt Kwan because they required flexibility to gain level 4s, she could have gone the Plushenko route and figured out other ways to gain high levels (changes of edges, other positions). I also think she could have figured out a way to maximize her TES base score.

I mean even Kwan not being close to her best and at a COP-disadvantage by not maximizing her levels the way she was actually capable of was competitive for a medal in 2005 Worlds. She needed better levels, and much more comfort on the ice to sell the routine. It makes me laugh that people think she would have been on par with Suguri if she had been healthy enough to compete on the level she was known for because Kwan's skating is on a different level compared to Suguri's.

However, she probably would have had those Tarasova programs, and I don't know if they would have gone over so well.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Well at the 2005 worlds Kwan was basically at the same level as Suguri as a IJS skater. Had their short and long both been clean their point totals would have been almost identical in both. How much she would have improved as an IJS skater in just 1 year is the question.

Anyway the event was fixed in favor of the Japanese as the blatant overscoring of Shizuka and Fumie both proves. People just pass off Shizuka's win like it is ok since she still had a cleaner long than Slutskaya and Cohen but she in no way deserved to be almost tied with them in the short program since if you watch the three programs you can see hers was average by comparision, and her long program with only the same # of clean triples as Sasha was exagerrated too even if she deserved winning the LP. Suguri never should have beaten Joannie for her boring and not even technically that strong long program.

Slutskaya had already scored over 70 in the short program that year and everyone else was getting Olympic inflation, yet for her best short of the year at the Olympics she gets only a 66 when everyone else is cracking huge new PBs. A farce, couldnt get in the way of the pre arrange Japanese win could we. Shizuka by comparision gets a 66 for a skate that is similar to the ones she was getting 58-59 in the short for earlier in the season. When she finished her short the Eurosport commentators called it mediocre and wondered if she would even pass Meissner who was at around 59, and were left stunned by her score that almost tied Irina's much better short.

The protocals also show once Irina doubled a jump she was already out of gold contention, even if she finished clean with 5 triples just like Shizuka. She needed a 6th to have any chance at squeeking past Shizuka's point total. Since when does the gold medal favorite have to do more to beat someone who was only 9th at worlds last year, who should have been way behind after the short anyway.
    Last edited by angelflies; 04-16-2014 at 05:38 AM.

vCash
    She would have medaled because her CPS would have been high enough to beat Slutskaya. She could have pulled off a coup and won silver, but is there any way imaginable she could have earned enough points to win? I do not know.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    She would have medaled because her CPS would have been high enough to beat Slutskaya. She could have pulled off a coup and won silver, but is there any way imaginable she could have earned enough points to win? I do not know.
    Remember she had no Biellmann position and this was the Biellmania era.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Remember she had no Biellmann position and this was the Biellmania era.
    Actually lacking the Biellman would only hurt her in the required layback in the short. The other 2 in the short and 3 in the long did not require a Biellmann to attain level 4.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zigzig View Post
    Michelle's 2006 program were awful - it's a blessing in disguise no one saw them, except for the Totentanz outing at that cheezefest. Regardless, with two clean skates and upgraded spins and steps she could have contended for gold given the general crappiness of the competition (although Sasha's short program performance was definitely one for the ages).
    I was a Kwan über, but that skate was like Old Yella.

vCash
    I think it was obvious that regardless of what Kwan could've done, the top 3 after the SP in Torino would have always been Slutskaya, Arakawa and Cohen due to scores north of 65 points. Kwan's clean SP at '05 Worlds only garnered around 61 points. But the groundwork had also been laid the previous years.

In 2004 - Arakawa and Cohen finished ahead of Kwan while Slutskaya was coming back from a career-threatening illness
    In 2005 - Slutskaya was in the best shape of her life and a flawed Cohen still beat out a flawed Kwan on the international stage.

Slutskaya was the favorite. Cohen was strong from Nationals and 2 world silver medals in a row, and Arakawa would surprise w/ a switch of her LP's. I think Kwan had put herself in a hole by not competing much in the '02 - '06 cycle, even if we would later find out that this wasn't really her fault, but she had been working hard to keep an injury at bay.

Overall, I think Kwan may have medalled if you can contend that Cohen and Slutskaya would've still performed their subpar LP's and Kwan was squeaky clean. But otherwise, I think she would've simply bested Suguri for 4th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I think it was obvious that regardless of what Kwan could've done, the top 3 after the SP in Torino would have always been Slutskaya, Arakawa and Cohen due to scores north of 65 points. Kwan's clean SP at '05 Worlds only garnered around 61 points. But the groundwork had also been laid the previous years.
    Right, but remember that at that worlds, the difference between the top 3 sp scores was minimal at best. The only reason the others were scoring north of 65 was that they had competed in more than 1 competition and were getting more used to the system.

vCash
    Who COP-prepped Kwan for 2005 Worlds? She never held her spins and spirals long enough to earn the features / levels and she was capable of harder elements too. She lost the bronze simply by not doing her combination jumps in the QR after popping them.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast