Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Swimming: Michael Phelps Comes Out. . .

of retirement He'll compete late this month in Arizona. The plan is to compete in Rio, which would be his fifth Olympics.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Whoa! Well that's unexpected! I mean, I can definitely see him missing the thrill of competition...but I really thought he was done. But hey, if he can do it, power to him!

vCash
    Good luck to him!

vCash
    That is brill news!

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I'm excited at the possibility of being able to watch him swim again. The sport isn't the same without him. He is just sprinting at the upcoming meet, 50 and 100free, 100fly, getting his toes wet, so to speak. Also, if he's aiming for Rio (and it would be a less ambitious affair even than London, I'm sure), those are the races that would let him potentially participate in both 400 relays. I guess the 200IM would depend on whether he really commits to a true comeback, and I suspect we've seen the last of the 200fly from him.

You can take the swimmer out of the pool, but it's hard to take the desire to train out of the swimmer.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    He had rejoined the drug testing pool last year and there were reports that he was seriously training. You could tell at last year's Worlds that he was not done; he was just wistful. Couple that with the US showing (respectable but not dominating like the past few years), that would have been enough to cajole him back into the pool.

vCash
    good news for us swimming team.. the team will be formidable in rio.. with ledecky and franklin.. plus couple young prospects of caeleb dressel, jack conger, ryan murphy, michael andrew, simone manuel.. etc..

vCash
    It's his fourth Olympics, not fifth.

vCash
    Great news! Go win more medals at the Olympics Phelps!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post
    It's his fourth Olympics, not fifth.
    No, he competed in Sydney at age 15. He finished fifth in the 200m fly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    No, he competed in Sydney at age 15. He finished fifth in the 200m fly.
    No shit?

vCash
    ^No shit http://www.espn.co.uk/more/sport/story/300615.html

Phelps - who owns a staggering 22 Olympic medals including his record eight-gold individual haul from a single Games in China six years ago - made his debut at Sydney 2000 as the youngest male US swimmer in 68 years but returned without a podium finish.
    Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/more/sport/sto...RWwm8x5LM5G.99
    I'm excited to see him come back! Best of luck to him.

vCash
    Another athlete struggling to move on with post Olympic sport life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ripingroar37 View Post
    Yeah, I can't help but think this about Phelps. But then again, Ryan Lochte has been to four Olympics (2004-2012). How do we know that there is a difference with him wanting to compete in Rio?

vCash
    But with the money he's making- why move on?
    If I had a job that made me millions every year, I think I'd struggle to move on too.

He's not struggling to make ends meet, digging deeper in debt for training. He's not making ends meet but losing the opportunity to save for later (i.e., not getting a job with a retirement fund). And he's not struggling with success- struggling to barely qualify for nationals. He doesn't even seem to be fighting injury. Why should have move on?
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 04-18-2014 at 11:29 PM.

vCash
    I really don't see it like this at all. There's a thing with Olympic swimmers, there are a LOT that have re-kindled competitive fire after retirements and returned to the pool and done EXTREMELY well. Way more than any other sport. Possibly because it's a sport that doesn't require a teenage-type body to excel with.

I called it (and Dara Torres did, too) the second he announced that London would be his last Olympics, that he would eventually be trying for Rio. If I had my FSU subscription up to date, I'd dig up my post from the London archives where I mentioned this.

Best of luck to him!

vCash
    Perhaps, but it's not as if he'll do 8 events like in his teens/early 20s.

There is only so much World Series of Poker tournaments or Golf Channel Hank Haney Instructional shows one can do...I think he's making the right call here.

Interestingly, up to this point, it looked like the American women (Missy Franklin and Katie Ledecky) would be taking most of the headlines in Rio without Phelps competing.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    I really don't see it like this at all. There's a thing with Olympic swimmers, there are a LOT that have re-kindled competitive fire after retirements and returned to the pool and done EXTREMELY well. Way more than any other sport. Possibly because it's a sport that doesn't require a teenage-type body to excel with.

I called it (and Dara Torres did, too) the second he announced that London would be his last Olympics, that he would eventually be trying for Rio. If I had my FSU subscription up to date, I'd dig up my post from the London archives where I mentioned this.

Best of luck to him!
    Swimmers period, not just Olympic swimmers. My daughter just retired after her final collegiate meet after continuous training and swimming competitively on some level for 17 years and I know it's going to be really hard for her to leave it behind - despite the fact that she is a dancer and physical training obviously won't stop. It's the training and just swimming she has always loved and that's what brings a lot of swimmers back, even above dreams of glory. And even though people say this in many sports, in swimming it really always is first and foremost about your own benchmarks and goals right now, where you are in your life and training.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Not really excited by the news. I hope NBC does make yet another Summer Olympics all about Phelps. 3 of those already have been more than enough.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I suppose you could say that about every professional athlete that competed at the Olympics, like soccer players, hockey players, tennis players, figure skaters ... etc. Of course, if I trained for 15-25 years to do something and could make money at it, then stopping would be ridiculous. Nobody assumes a Nobel prize-winning researcher will stop doing research after winning a Nobel Prize, and their Initial training is about 15-25 years.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 04-20-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast