View Poll Results: Does it bother you when Olympic team event medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

78 24.53%
  • No

169 53.14%
  • I may get used to it in time

46 14.47%
  • Depends who the skater is

25 7.86%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren329 View Post
    Obviously, if 3 disciplines dominate the field, that's going to place a team in a good position to win. But there are ways that could have made the team competition more exciting. Two possibilities:

1) The point spead between the short (1-10) and the long (6-10) made the long program of little consequence. If they had made the LP, (2-4-6-8-10) instead of (6-7-8-9-10), that would have made things a bit closer and made the free skates of more consequence.

2) New life after the SP and the elimination.
    I haven't run the numbers but I don't think those would have mattered in the case of I&K. S&K, Plushenko, and Lipnitskaya all won their LPs by the time I&K had skated. Really, the Russian team was just extremely dominant and that's the reason that they led from night 1 and never lost their lead. They took first place in 5 out of 8 segments with a second place and two third places. You can come up with any scenario, but it will always turn out that whichever Russian skated last was virtually assured of the gold medal. If I&K had gone in the morning and pairs was the last event then the pair team would have been the ones who had already won gold.

If there had been a team event in Vancouver you would have seen a closer competition. Canada likely would have won, but they might not have been on top of the leaderboard the whole time. There would have been more suspense. I like your idea #1 generally though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I don't think that's what julieann meant (though I could be wrong). Basketball isn't a good example because there is no individual event equivalent. It is a team sport. Period.

All Olympic medals are amazing, IMHO. But the distinction in Gymnastics, Swimming, and other sports (now figure skating) with both individual and team events is important to some degree. I don't think you need to announce an athlete using the "team" distinction, but I do think it's noteworthy. They are not the same event, after all. That's not putting a value on the difference, it's just pointing out that medals were earned in different events.

O-
    It's a different sport but should not exclude it from a team event. In tennis, which is an individual game (singles/doubles/mixed doubles) but they too have a Davis cup. Golf is an individual game, but they have president's cup. Gymnastics has been discussed already. I see no issue in creating a team event in FS. It definitely needs some tweaks but to say FS is individual event, so there should not be a team event is being unfair to some skaters who actually have a chance to win more than one Olympic medal in a single year.

vCash
    It doesn't bother me for a single second. An Olympic Medalist is an Olympic Medalist. Full Stop. Sure, this may be a completely new event that some are getting used to, but it doesn't lessen the accomplishment in my eye.

These skaters are Olympic Medalists and that's all there is to it.
    Kyle

vCash
    Delete
    Last edited by Jiazumi; 04-26-2014 at 01:40 AM.

vCash
    I guess it depends on the skater. To me, people like Jeremy Abbott, Kaetlyn Osmond, Jason Brown, Gracie Gold, Marissa Castelli, Simon Shnapir, and B/S, etc. are not on the same level (skill wise) as say our gymnastics Olympic Gold team. And I do realize they are entirely different sports.

I tried to like the team event. But now,the more I look at it, I think the team event was a cheap, worthless way to give out medals to the federations with the most money/ size.

No one even knows who the hell was on our team outside of skating.
    However, in gymnastics everyone in the world knows who makes up the Fab 5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiazumi View Post
    However, in gymnastics everyone in the world knows who makes up the Fab 5
    I don't; I have absolutely no clue.

vCash
    Why in the world would I know who the Fab 5 are? I suppose they graced my tv screen doing their "artistic" gymnastics routine on that annoying Skating & Gymnastics show. I certainly know I'd rather watch Jeremy Abbott, Kaetlyn Osmond, Jason Brown, Gracie Gold, Marissa Castelli, Simon Shnapir, and B/S, on that annoying Skating & Gymnastics show than that gymnast that endorses Subway.

vCash
    The only one of the Fab 5 I know is Kerry, and her heroic vault.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    The only one of the Fab 5 I know is Kerry, and her heroic vault.
    I think that group was magnificent 7.

I don't know if fab 5 is Shawn Johnson's group, Carly patterson's, or Gabby Douglass's.

vCash
    Gabby Douglas's of course. Those other 2 groups didnt even win gold so nothing magnificient about them.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    That is a huge problem. I hope in the future it's recognized by the ISU and changed. No skater should have already won a medal before others have skated. Nor should skaters end up in 6th and not have it count because the rest of the team is that far ahead. ALL of the members of the 'team' should be rewarded and penalized based on their skate.
    It's mathematically possible for a diver to have a gold medal wrapped up before the final dive. It's mathematically possible for a gymnastics team to have a medal wrapped up before the final routine. It all depends on the relative strength of the field. The skating TE is not unique in this.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I don't think the team event has a future
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 04-26-2014 at 07:00 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    It's a different sport but should not exclude it from a team event. In tennis, which is an individual game (singles/doubles/mixed doubles) but they too have a Davis cup. Golf is an individual game, but they have president's cup. Gymnastics has been discussed already. I see no issue in creating a team event in FS. It definitely needs some tweaks but to say FS is individual event, so there should not be a team event is being unfair to some skaters who actually have a chance to win more than one Olympic medal in a single year.
    Um, I didn't say anything about whether or not there should or shouldn't be a team event in figure skating -- just that, if there is one, a distinction should be made between the team event and the individual event -- just like in every other sport that has both team and individual events.

If anyone cares, and I don't see why they would, I think having a team figure skating event is great. Why not?

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    I don't think the team event has a future
    While I think the team event will and should be tweaked, I think its here to stay in the Olympics. I doubt the ISU and the major federations will be inclined to just hand back a medal event when FS is really the one major Olympic sport that doesn't have multiple medal opportunities for its athletes. The skaters haven't said a bad word about it- it was all positivity about Olympic cameraderie and supporting one another. Its also easy for the general non-skating fan public to get behind- you may have no idea who these skaters are but you can jump on a country bandwagon. The athletes all sitting together makes for good TV and drummed up interest in Julia, D/W etc. before the individual events- I expect NBC would advocate for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Um, I didn't say anything about whether or not there should or shouldn't be a team event in figure skating -- just that, if there is one, a distinction should be made between the team event and the individual event -- just like in every other sport that has both team and individual events.

If anyone cares, and I don't see why they would, I think having a team figure skating event is great. Why not?

O-
    They do call it a 'team competition'. For me that's enough differentiation. In gymnastics they don't specify whether a medal was won in a team event or not, when a lesser known gymnast is a part of the team. There is no need to qualify that medal with (but) it's (only) a team medal.

It is an Olympic medal. Those interested can go into details about how it was won, etc. and decide how much value they put on it. For an athlete who is competing, it is a matter of pride to be a part of a successful team- judging from their reactions.

vCash
    if there is one, a distinction should be made between the team event and the individual event -- just like in every other sport that has both team and individual events.
    What other sports would those be?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789