View Poll Results: Does it bother you when Olympic team event medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

78 24.53%
  • No

169 53.14%
  • I may get used to it in time

46 14.47%
  • Depends who the skater is

25 7.86%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    I agree.

The US team members that got Bronze do seem to identify it as Team Bronze on their web pages/facebooks
    Interesting. This caused a thought to pop into my head. D/W have a gold and silver.............and bronze. No way, no how did they "earn" a bronze for their team experience. I know, a medal is a medal, and all that, but it is kind of a bummer for them. It doesn't reflect well on their world standing.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Interesting. This caused a thought to pop into my head. D/W have a gold and silver.............and bronze. No way, no how did they "earn" a bronze for their team experience. I know, a medal is a medal, and all that, but it is kind of a bummer for them. It doesn't reflect well on their world standing.
    OK, you've lost me. Exactly how does this reflect badly on their world standing????? Yes, they skated far better than bronze, but I don't see how this is a big black mark against them.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    I don't really understand how a bronze is a negative for D/W either. They are now 3x Olympic medalists instead of 2x; and they will always be ice dancing champions- which of course is the one they are going to publicize the most.

I don't think judges will look at them (if they come back) and think "oh, they're only bronze medalists."

vCash
    It doesn't bother me that the skaters who won medals in the team event are call Olympic medalists. I can understand why it bothers some because it's a brand new event and hasn't even appeared in Worlds yet. But for me, coming from a gymnastics background, a team medal is just as legitimate as an individual medal. With regards to Jeremy Abbott, yeah he didn't skate his best in the team competition. But in Beijing 2008, Alicia Sacramone didn't do her best in the team competition either. She fell twice (once on beam, once on floor), but the US team still won the silver medal, and that silver medal is Sacramone's only Olympic medal. I've never had a problem considering her an Olympic medalist. Sometimes individual athletes on a team make mistakes, but others can perform well enough to make up some ground and still earn the team a medal. That's part of the thrill of team competition.

vCash
    I agree with your comments, Yazmeen in your post #138. Altho' I don't care all that much about the team event, I do think it is nice for the skaters to have more opportunities to medal.

Also, altho' it seemed to work out this time for the team event to precede the individual events, it will be interesting to see how that plays out at future Olympics. And, I'm not sure how it will eventually work out for some of the skaters to be performing their same routines twice.

vCash
    In some olympic events there are opportunities to win multiple medals (swimming for example) or team medals (gymnastics). So why not with figure skating? I think they should consider short program medals, free skate medals, and the overall medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    OK, you've lost me. Exactly how does this reflect badly on their world standing????? Yes, they skated far better than bronze, but I don't see how this is a big black mark against them.
    The bronze, although an Oly Medal, in no way reflects their performance. That is all. They had 4 first place, gold worthy performance. I don't, of course, thank it hurts their career.....it simply does not reflect their Oly skating.

I was not precise in my language. I meant it does not reflect accurately on their achievements.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    The bronze, although an Oly Medal, in no way reflects their performance. That is all. They had 4 first place, gold worthy performance. I don't, of course, thank it hurts their career.....it simply does not reflect their Oly skating.

I was not precise in my language. I meant it does not reflect accurately on their achievements.
    Thanks, that makes more sense.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    deleted..

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash

It does, however, reflect accurately on the team achievement, and they were part of that team.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    It makes me double take when I read things like "Skater X, Olympic Gold/Silver/Bronze Medalist", and then I remember it was in the team event, and a Tourette's style voice in my head says "not a proper medalist"
    Yes, I think this is the challenge with this situation. In the past, whenever we heard someone was an Olympic medalist, we knew what it meant. Now we have to check and remember whether it was a 'normal' medal from the regular competition that they earned themselves, or from the Team Event at this Olympics. It does make it a bit confusing.

I'd be interested to know what other Olympians think - do they feel it tarnishes the 'regular' Olympic medal to have a new figure skating Team Event?

vCash
    The way I see it, everyone who follows skating knows who has the team medals, who has the individual medals, and what they each mean. The rest likely don't care and won't remember anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    The way I see it, everyone who follows skating knows who has the team medals, who has the individual medals, and what they each mean. The rest likely don't care and won't remember anyway.
    Exactly. It just doesn't matter to the rest of the world. And hey, the team members all earned a medal.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel
    The rest likely don't care and won't remember anyway.
    Even ordinary viewers (not everyone, though) remember Lipininski in Nagano, or Plushenko in Torino, but only "skating fans" know the Russian "team" gold medalists. Everyone knows Usain Bolt but no one cares who won 4x400 relay gold medals. Individuals medals are much more valuable than "team" ones. That is a common knowledge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fialka88 View Post
    I think part of the issue is that the team event in Sochi was not very well thought out. It has already been discussed that the short programs had too much weight. The fact that Ilinykh/Katsalapov were Olympic gold medalists before they even performed their free dance is a huge problem.
    That is a huge problem. I hope in the future it's recognized by the ISU and changed. No skater should have already won a medal before others have skated. Nor should skaters end up in 6th and not have it count because the rest of the team is that far ahead. ALL of the members of the 'team' should be rewarded and penalized based on their skate.

Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    No one is insinuating that Shawn be introduced as "Olympic gold medalist...but inferior to Nastia Liukin". But when gymnastics fans compare the two they certainly know the difference between their medals.
    There is a difference between how the medals were earned. Johnson only being the best in one apparatus verses Liukin averaging the best on all four. Is Nastia Liukin a better gymnast, yes at that competition she was.

Quote Originally Posted by moebius View Post
    SOI broadcast did specify that those skaters who won only a team Olympic medal were referred to as 'Olympic Team Medallist'.
    As it should be in all sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Even ordinary viewers (not everyone, though) remember Lipininski in Nagano, or Plushenko in Torino, but only "skating fans" know the Russian "team" gold medalists. Everyone knows Usain Bolt but no one cares who won 4x400 relay gold medals. Individuals medals are much more valuable than "team" ones. That is a common knowledge.
    I think more Americans know Kerri Strug than Carly Patterson (whose name I had to look up, since I just remember her as "that girl who won before Nastia")

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    That is a huge problem. I hope in the future it's recognized by the ISU and changed. No skater should have already won a medal before others have skated. Nor should skaters end up in 6th and not have it count because the rest of the team is that far ahead. ALL of the members of the 'team' should be rewarded and penalized based on their skate.

There is a difference between how the medals were earned. Johnson only being the best in one apparatus verses Liukin averaging the best on all four. Is Nastia Liukin a better gymnast, yes at that competition she was.

As it should be in all sports.
    So, if Kevin Durant wins an OGM in basketball in 2016, he is 'only' a 'team gold medallist' and inferior to those individual stars like balance beam individual event, or a tennis player, for example?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I'm not sure there is a way to fix this. If three of your disciplines do really well, there really isn't a way to make sure that the other teams are still in a position to win by the fourth one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I'm not sure there is a way to fix this. If three of your disciplines do really well, there really isn't a way to make sure that the other teams are still in a position to win by the fourth one.
    Obviously, if 3 disciplines dominate the field, that's going to place a team in a good position to win. But there are ways that could have made the team competition more exciting. Two possibilities:

1) The point spead between the short (1-10) and the long (6-10) made the long program of little consequence. If they had made the LP, (2-4-6-8-10) instead of (6-7-8-9-10), that would have made things a bit closer and made the free skates of more consequence.

2) New life after the SP and the elimination.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    So, if Kevin Durant wins an OGM in basketball in 2016, he is 'only' a 'team gold medallist' and inferior to those individual stars like balance beam individual event, or a tennis player, for example?
    I don't think that's what julieann meant (though I could be wrong). Basketball isn't a good example because there is no individual event equivalent. It is a team sport. Period.

All Olympic medals are amazing, IMHO. But the distinction in Gymnastics, Swimming, and other sports (now figure skating) with both individual and team events is important to some degree. I don't think you need to announce an athlete using the "team" distinction, but I do think it's noteworthy. They are not the same event, after all. That's not putting a value on the difference, it's just pointing out that medals were earned in different events.

O-

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast