View Poll Results: Does it bother you when Olympic team event medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

78 24.53%
  • No

169 53.14%
  • I may get used to it in time

46 14.47%
  • Depends who the skater is

25 7.86%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Nobody got the medal just for showing up.
    I think the point is that some skaters can medal in the team event basically for just showing up. If the contestants in three of the discipline skate great, a fourth who skates poorly can be held up.

That said, I enjoyed the team event. But a team event medalist is not the Champion or silver/bronze medalist in a discipline and I don't think a team event medal will every carry the same weight or prestige as an individual event medalist.

And it is not the same as a team sport where all players contribute their part to the game. Although probably some players do contribute less than others, in truth, and still benefit from the medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I think the point is that some skaters can medal in the team event basically for just showing up. If the contestants in three of the discipline skate great, a fourth who skates poorly can be held up.

That said, I enjoyed the team event. But a team event medalist is not the Champion or silver/bronze medalist in a discipline and I don't think a team event medal will every carry the same weight or prestige as an individual event medalist.

And it is not the same as a team sport where all players contribute their part to the game. Although probably some players do contribute less than others, in truth, and still benefit from the medal.
    If that was true, how come the Japanese or the French did not win a team medal? It takes effort from everyone, even the less successful ones. Jeremy could have finished in last place and the US could have been on the podium.

Actually in this FS team competition, the team members contributed more than -e.g. the Olympic Hockey gold medal, or some of the Superbowl championship teams. The skaters actually spent the same amount of time on the ice as some of their other team members (either 2:40 or 4:00 or 4:30 min)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    So, had the American won the team event, Jeremy Abbot would have been a gold medal winner? That is simply wrong
    I would say that Jeremy's performance had something to do with Team USA not placing higher.

Did anyone on Team Russia not do their job?
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    For me, Olympics team gold = WC bronze or GPF gold

vCash
    Olympic gold is an Olympic gold, no matter what event it is; IOC is not differentiating so why should we?, IOC does not announce an olympic gold medalist as for example coxman on 8+ rowing event when announcing the gold medalist, so get used to it; if not listen to someone like Osmond being called a Olympic medalist few times that will help you get used to this.

vCash
    Everyone on a team contributed in varying degrees. Even if they were little more than a place holder to qualify a team, that would be their little contribution. Abbott had a bad day, but USA would not have had "any" medal without him. Still, we must also consider "potential" contribution. There was a reason each and every athlete was added to their team (whether it played out or not). Although Japan didn't medal, what if Asada skated as she did in her individual SP?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Abbott had a bad day, but USA would not have had "any" medal without him.
    Uh, yes, they would have, because Jason would have skated the SP and skated his little heart out as usual and probably placed higher than Jeremy. Or if we're talking about a situation where Jeremy is not at the Olympics at all, Max would have gone out and skated his heart out and probably placed higher than Jeremy.

Let's be honest. Jeremy gave a performance that was lukewarm at best and that he totally gave up on after the first blown jump, before blowing it off to the media as just a warm up. Everyone else on Team USA gave their all in their performances. I am happy to call Meryl and Charlie, Simon and Marissa, Gracie, Ashley and Jason Olympic bronze medallists. I will never call Jeremy an Olympic bronze medallist because he did not earn that medal; he relied on everyone else on that team to do it for him.

vCash
    A team medal is an Olympic medal, so whoever wins one is an Olympic medalist.

So long as they don't bring those medals with them wherever they go (I am looking at you, Team USA members) I don't have any problem with it

vCash
    Yes, it bothers me. The team event is utterly bogus and just a medal grab for certain counties. Award medals to the federation presidents.

vCash
    Is this poll about hating the event?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    A team medal is an Olympic medal, so whoever wins one is an Olympic medalist.

So long as they don't bring those medals with them wherever they go (I am looking at you, Team USA members) I don't have any problem with it
    They got home from Sochi 6 weeks ago. Of course they're going to bring their medals to appearances that they're making as Olympians. I don't see the issue- most US Olympians do this. If they're still whipping them out all the time next year, then enough but right now I can't fault them at all.

vCash
    They got home from Sochi 6 weeks ago. Of course they're going to bring their medals to appearances that they're making as Olympians. I don't see the issue- most US Olympians do this. If they're still whipping them out all the time next year, then enough but right now I can't fault them at all.
    Seriously- their medals are what gets them invited to things. Without them, they don't get in!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonem View Post
    Not at all. There have been comments re. this topic in various threads on FSU lately, and I'm merely interested in getting a "current snapshot" of how (diehard) skating fans feel about it.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by just tuned in View Post
    Yes, it bothers me. The team event is utterly bogus and just a medal grab for certain counties. Award medals to the federation presidents.
    I agree. It's artificial and means nothing.

It's completely different to the gymnastics team medal, where individual performances have a bearing on the individual events and the fact that the figure skating team event only appears at the Olympics is just proof of how artificial it is.

vCash
    I think the team event is cool. I'm a huge gymnastic fans so I have no issue with team medals. And I do think the team event should be given as much credence as the individuals-to a degree. The Sport as well as the countries who are great at figure skating should feel no guilt that they can support a full team. Go a head and feel pride in your accomplishment and your country. The individuals who were chosen for the team were chosen because they did well enough in the qualifying events (both team and individual) to be selected for the team. That is how team events work.

But, Especially until the team event is fully established, I think they should use the event the medal was won. For the individual and the sport the medals are important great achievements. But the team medal was won collectively with their team. So I would use Olympic team Bronze medalist Ashley Wagner and Ladies Olympic Bronze medalist Carolina Kostner. The extra word isn't going to kill any one.
    Last edited by tarotx; 04-15-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: word and world are not the same...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    ...and the fact that the figure skating team event only appears at the Olympics is just proof of how artificial it is.
    It doesn't prove anything, since there can be multiple explanations. As previously mentioned elsewhere, the Olympics is very nationalistic. The general public often tune in to a sporting event to cheer their country's athletes, even if they know nothing about that sport. Perhaps by giving the general public a country oriented team Figure Skating event at the Olympics, the ISU hoped to generate more interest (not to mention encourage some countries to improve in all four disciplines). At Worlds, the general public will be less likely to tune in. Hence it would be less effective to include a team event. It would be harder to justify the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by just tuned in View Post
    Initially, yes. If other countries sit on their laurels and don't make the effort to work on the other disciplines, then perhaps permanently. It's their choice. Just like the dominance in women's hockey, it will likely take time to balance out.

Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    ... The extra world isn't going to kill any one.
    True, but how can you force CSOI/SOI, the media, or anyone else to follow that rule? This whole argument is purely hypothetical, because they will do as they please regardless.
    Last edited by rvi5; 04-15-2014 at 04:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonem View Post
    Maybe. But it does seem to be a chicken or egg type thing. Do people hate the event because "lesser" skaters get oly medals, or resent the medalists because the event isn't as competitive as the individual events?

vCash
    It doesn't prove anything, since there can be multiple explanations. As previously mentioned elsewhere, the Olympics is very nationalistic. The general public often tune in to a sporting event to cheer their country's athletes, even if they know nothing about that sport. Perhaps by giving the general public a country oriented team Figure Skating event at the Olympics, the ISU hoped to generate more interest (not to mention encourage some countries to improve in all four disciplines). At Worlds, the general public will be less likely to tune in. Hence it would be less effective to include a team event. It would be harder to justify the cost.
    I diagree - I think it proves the point exactly. If the governing body of a sport is not willing to add a team event to its world championships, then the governing body itself does not believe it is a viable event, therefore, the team event at the Olympics is a BS attempt to hand out more medals.

vCash
    They have the team event outside the World championships but it's still an ISU event so I don't see rather or not it's at the world championships matters. The WTT is the team world championships more or less.

And yes nothing can make organizers classify the medals but if I were the ptb, it's how I would do it. Especially until the team event is fully established. The team medal is a great achievement but it was won collectively.

It doesn't prove anything, since there can be multiple explanations. As previously mentioned elsewhere, the Olympics is very nationalistic. The general public often tune in to a sporting event to cheer their country's athletes, even if they know nothing about that sport. Perhaps by giving the general public a country oriented team Figure Skating event at the Olympics, the ISU hoped to generate more interest. At Worlds, the general public will be less likely to tune in. Hence it would be less effective to include a team event. It would be harder to justify the cost.

True, but how can you force CSOI/SOI, the media, or anyone else to follow that rule? This whole argument is purely hypothetical, because they will do as they please regardless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I diagree - I think it proves the point exactly. If the governing body of a sport is not willing to add a team event to its world championships, then the governing body itself does not believe it is a viable event, therefore, the team event at the Olympics is a BS attempt to hand out more medals.
    *shrug* we'll see going forward. Presently it is an ISU sanctioned and invented event and 3 were held in the run up to the olys. Maybe they will combine it with worlds going forward. Or maybe now that Russia got more OGMs in Sochi, they'll drop it but I think the former is more likely.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast