View Poll Results: Does it bother you when Olympic team event medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    78 24.53%
  • No

    169 53.14%
  • I may get used to it in time

    46 14.47%
  • Depends who the skater is

    25 7.86%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 176
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    624
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I always thought it sucked to have just one shot at a medal. Skiers get more than one event, so do snowboarders and speedskaters. Why not figure skaters? I think of Kerri Strug as an Olympic medalist because she was on a team that won a medal. Same for Gracie, Ashley, et al.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    wherever they cheer for Davis/White
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, if I look at Bobrova/Soloviev and think they can be called "Olympic champions". That whole reversed podium order of dance teams made my blood boil.

    Thinking of all the other amazing skaters who did not get to be Olympic champions but B/S are is not helping either.

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I can't believe there are actually people who believe an Olympic team gold is equal to an individual gold. As if Julia Lipnitskaia's gold is equal to Yuna's when Yuna couldn't even compete in the team event. What a joke!

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Petaluma, CA
    Posts
    5,616
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8129
    I think it is cheating.....I know it is not. IIRC, all the people on the team get a Gold Medal, whether they placed or medaled in the team event? So, had the American won the team event, Jeremy Abbot would have been a gold medal winner? That is simply wrong. Skating is an individual sport (or pair). There is not Team involved. IMO it is contrived. It is not like volleyball where it is actually a team effort. That is just my old stubborn opinion.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    166
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    I can't believe there are actually people who believe an Olympic team gold is equal to an individual gold. As if Julia Lipnitskaia's gold is equal to Yuna's when Yuna couldn't even compete in the team event. What a joke!
    I consider Julia's wonderous gold to be worth more than Adelina's farcial one. And if the team event was in individual format Julia would have crushed Yu Na anyway, and you know that. Nobody could beat a clean Russian in Sochi, not prime Kwan with a quadruple jump, prime Ito with a quintruple jump, or prime Janet Lynn with a triple axel and full set of triples. Heck not even an unclean but stayed on her feet Russian as Adelina's messy LP proved.

    I wish Maria had been born 16 years later, she probably would have been given the gold even for her 98 Olympic performances here in Sochi.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    201
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1157
    I find it amazing that skating fans who bemoan the sport getting no exposure are now complaining about an extra medal event that gives that athletes more exposure and another medal chance. I don't see why this is hard. Medals were placed around the neck of the team medalists while their flags were raised. They are thereby Olympic gold/silver//bronze medalists. No asterisks, no qualifiers needed. While they can't in the same vein say they are the Olympic ladies/pairs/mens/dance X medalist, I haven't heard of any of them holding themselves out as such.

    Swimmers who swim only the prelims of a relay receive medals and don't even get up on the podium. McKayla Maroney did 2 vault for a grand total of about 20 Olympic seconds, sat out all the other events and is an Olympic Champion with the Fierce Five. Still, they contributed to the team and I don't think anyone insists on calling them Olympic prelim relay medalists or Olympic team medalists who performed one apparatus. And its totally irrelevant what their individual medal chances might have been to whether they were in fact awarded a medal in the team competition.

    I think its sad that some skating fans want to tear down the athletes who EARNED medals as part of a team or make their medal something lesser. I couldn't be more thrilled that Ashley, Gracie, Marissa, Simon, Jason and even Jeremy (who really in no way helped the team but was a part of it and that's how it works) will be introduced as Olympic bronze medalists forever. I think its great for them and a great boost for US Figure Skating and a great motivator for skaters especially in disciplines in which a particular country might not be as strong. In the same vein, I loathe B&S' skating but I don't begrudge them the title of Olympic champions b/c they were in fact part of a team that won the gold in a spectacularly dominant fashion.

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren329 View Post
    While they can't in the same vein say they are the Olympic ladies/pairs/mens/dance X medalist, I haven't heard of any of them holding themselves out as such.
    But if you actually read the thread, there are some people who believe there is no distinction between a team medal and an individual medal. The fact is there is a distinction, both in the official record and in real life.

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    To me, the idea that it's insulting to clarify that it was a team medal vs individual is like saying that it's insulting to clarify that Nastia got a gold in all around and Shawn got a gold in balance beam. Who cares? They're both golds, right?! We should never mention the specifics cos it's "insulting"!

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    201
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1157
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    But if you actually read the thread, there are some people who believe there is no distinction between a team medal and an individual medal. The fact is there is a distinction, both in the official record and in real life.
    I've read the thread, thanks though. And true, much in the same sense that there is a distinction between a medal earned for speed skating and a medal earned for curling. Or between the apparatuses in gymnastics. The event is different if you look up the video or the official record. The Olympic medal is the same. Anyone who earns an Olympic bronze medal at the Olympics is an Olympic bronze medalist. It may be further qualified on an official record but it need not be qualified at all. If fans choose to decide that certain medals are more meaningful or more important, that's their prerogative to feel that way but its also not unequivocally correct.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    Posts
    7,780
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19086
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    . . . So, had the American won the team event, Jeremy Abbot would have been a gold medal winner? That is simply wrong. Skating is an individual sport (or pair). There is not Team involved. IMO it is contrived. It is not like volleyball where it is actually a team effort . . .
    I think that Jeremy getting Bronze contributed greatly to souring me on the event because there have been other skaters that performed better than him but have no medal.

    ITA that the Team Event is contrived, particularly since there are already team skating events, which are the pairs and dance events.

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren329 View Post
    I've read the thread, thanks though. And true, much in the same sense that there is a distinction between a medal earned for speed skating and a medal earned for curling. Or between the apparatuses in gymnastics. The event is different if you look up the video or the official record. The Olympic medal is the same. Anyone who earns an Olympic bronze medal at the Olympics is an Olympic bronze medalist. It may be further qualified on an official record but it need not be qualified at all. If fans choose to decide that certain medals are more meaningful or more important, that's their prerogative to feel that way but its also not unequivocally correct.
    Yes I'm sure most skaters feel the same as you do that a team medal is worth the same as an individual medal. Keep on dreaming that it's a subjective fan-based opinion that individual medals are worth more. I'm sure Mao Asada can't sleep at night because she lost the precious team medal to Ashley Wagner

    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I think that Jeremy getting Bronze contributed greatly to souring me on the event because there have been other skaters that performed better than him but have no medal.

    ITA that the Team Event is contrived, particularly since there are already team skating events, which are the pairs and dance events.
    I don't understand why Speedy (or was it him?) decided on having a team event when rumors say he wants to get rid of the short specifically to minimize costs. Why even introduce the team event? (both at the Olympics and the world team trophy)

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    34
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think part of the issue is that the team event in Sochi was not very well thought out. It has already been discussed that the short programs had too much weight. The fact that Ilinykh/Katsalapov were Olympic gold medalists before they even performed their free dance is a huge problem.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    To me, the idea that it's insulting to clarify that it was a team medal vs individual is like saying that it's insulting to clarify that Nastia got a gold in all around and Shawn got a gold in balance beam. Who cares? They're both golds, right?! We should never mention the specifics cos it's "insulting"!
    When comparing Shawn to Nastia it is important to specify the medal.
    When Shawn appears in local commercials they call her Olympic Gold medalist. They don't stop to clarify it wasn't all around, and she isn't really the best.

    Comparing skaters to each other, of course the color and event matter. Announcing their own achievement, they are all olympic medalists.

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    When comparing Shawn to Nastia it is important to specify the medal.
    When Shawn appears in local commercials they call her Olympic Gold medalist. They don't stop to clarify it wasn't all around, and she isn't really the best.

    Comparing skaters to each other, of course the color and event matter. Announcing their own achievement, they are all olympic medalists.
    I agree with all of this

  15. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post

    I don't understand why Speedy (or was it him?) decided on having a team event when rumors say he wants to get rid of the short specifically to minimize costs. Why even introduce the team event? (both at the Olympics and the world team trophy)
    Does the ISU pay for the Olympics? The Japanese federation has picked up WTT in the past. So if IOC pays for the Olympics, these events have no bearing on the budget. And an extra olympic medal adds prestige to the sport. Is Michael phelps really the greatest Olympian of all time, or just the greatest olympic swimmer- which gave him a lot more opportunity to rack up medals. Now skaters have a chance at more.

  16. #56

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    To me, the idea that it's insulting to clarify that it was a team medal vs individual is like saying that it's insulting to clarify that Nastia got a gold in all around and Shawn got a gold in balance beam. Who cares? They're both golds, right?! We should never mention the specifics cos it's "insulting"!
    They are both called Olympic gold medallists, without the specifics, when they are introduced. One is not considered inferior to the other.

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    They are both called Olympic gold medallists, without the specifics, when they are introduced. One is not considered inferior to the other.
    Yes and getting an A in Calculus is the same as getting an A in PE. Or getting straight A's with a regular curriculum vs an honors/AP curriculum.




    NOT.

    No one is insinuating that Shawn be introduced as "Olympic gold medalist...but inferior to Nastia Liukin". But when gymnastics fans compare the two they certainly know the difference between their medals.

  18. #58

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    I think it is cheating.....I know it is not. IIRC, all the people on the team get a Gold Medal, whether they placed or medaled in the team event? So, had the American won the team event, Jeremy Abbot would have been a gold medal winner? That is simply wrong. Skating is an individual sport (or pair). There is not Team involved. IMO it is contrived. It is not like volleyball where it is actually a team effort. That is just my old stubborn opinion.
    How is it cheating? When the Lakers won the NBA championship, should only Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol get the rings but not the players that came off the bench, those with less talent and less minutes?

    A team was created and a new event was created for these Olympics, and hopefully future ones. I was skeptical at first, but when I actually watched the event, I was sold on it. More skaters got Olympic medals, and it was a different event, thus adding variety to it.

    I don't know if this really happenened several decades ago, but I can envision figure skating as compulsory figures etched into the ice, by individuals. At some point they introduced a pairs event, and later an ice dance event. That was different, as was the free skating. I don't know if people protested against these new disciplines because they were not 'individual' and they were not etching compulsory figures into ice.

    Would you say all these were contrived just because they did not exist inititally?

  19. #59

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    Yes and getting an A in Calculus is the same as getting an A in PE. Or getting straight A's with a regular curriculum vs an honors/AP curriculum.

    This kind of attitude really bothers me. Why are you belittling the team Olympic medal? It involved hard work and performances by the skaters. Nobody got the medal just for showing up.

    I also question your Calculus vs PE example. I had always done very well in Math, but not so well in PE. I have great respect for those who do well in PE. They are not inferior to those who do well in Math.




    NOT.

    No one is insinuating that Shawn be introduced as "Olympic gold medalist...but inferior to Nastia Liukin". But when gymnastics fans compare the two they certainly know the difference between their medals.
    This kind of attitude really bothers me. Why are you belittling the team Olympic medal? It involved hard work and performances by the skaters. Nobody got the medal just for showing up.

    I also question your Calculus vs PE example. I had always done very well in Math, but not so well in PE. I have great respect for those who do well in PE. They are not inferior to those who do well in Math.

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    This kind of attitude really bothers me. Why are you belittling the team Olympic medal? It involved hard work and performances by the skaters. Nobody got the medal just for showing up.
    Because inferior skaters can medal over superior skaters who 1) have weaker teams 2) may not even get to compete

    I also question your Calculus vs PE example. I had always done very well in Math, but not so well in PE. I have great respect for those who do well in PE. They are not inferior to those who do well in Math.
    Yes I'm rallying against all people who are athletically inclined. Never mind the fact that most people will agree that in general Calculus is a harder class. Btw I'm not asking for examples of people who had asthma or physical problems and struggled with PE, I'm talking about the norm not the exception. Are we really going to debate as to whether PE or Calculus is harder?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •