View Poll Results: Does it bother you when Olympic team event medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    78 24.53%
  • No

    169 53.14%
  • I may get used to it in time

    46 14.47%
  • Depends who the skater is

    25 7.86%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 176
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Check out this bio:
    https://usagym.org/pages/athletes/ar...s/s/kstrug.pdf
    Kerri Strug has no individual Olympic medal. The expansive bio mentions the team events, but the awards listed don't qualify it at all; and alot of people are not going to bother reading a block of text. (And actually- that text doesn't say the Barcelona medal was a team medal either.)

    If they aren't giving an extensive bio- there is no need to mention the event.
    And how long has gymnastics or swimming had team events? Decades?

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    And how long has gymnastics or swimming had team events? Decades?
    How many times does the Olympics need to have a team event before it is unnecessary to qualify it in figure skating?

    Even if gymnastics has had one for decades, when you hear someone is an Olympic Gold medalist in gymnast - do you assume it is team? It is still a seperate event, why does it not matter which one it is? Why does it not need further qualification if skating does? What about a gymnast who is gold medalist in bars; can she call herself Olympic Gold Medalist? Or does that lead one to believe she is the all-around winner?

    A gold medal is a gold medal. Unless the situation needs context, there is no reason to always qualify what event it was won in.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    How many times does the Olympics need to have a team event before it is unnecessary to qualify it in figure skating?
    Probably a few cycles at least, since Olympic figure skating has been around almost a century and has been only an individual sport up until now.

    Even if gymnastics has had one for decades, when you hear someone is an Olympic Gold medalist in gymnast - do you assume it is team? It is still a seperate event, why does it not matter which one it is? Why does it not need further qualification if skating does? What about a gymnast who is gold medalist in bars; can she call herself Olympic Gold Medalist? Or does that lead one to believe she is the all-around winner?

    A gold medal is a gold medal. Unless the situation needs context, there is no reason to always qualify what event it was won in.
    Anyone who actually cares about these sports does differentiate between individual and team medals, even in gymnastics and swimming, especially if they're comparing athletes. It's only in general instances like a quick bio or profile that it's not clarified.

    I don't follow gymnastics at all and even I remember differentiating between the winners of the individual vs team events. Why? Because there's often a rivalry that's played up in the media and sometimes the rivalry comes from the same country (Shawn vs Nastia) even though they were both from the same team. Even casual watchers aren't that clueless...

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    In general, I always get the sense during the Olympics that nationalism comes even more into play during team events vs individual. There is a clear distinction in the viewer's mind for many reasons, one of which is that there's an entirely different dynamic when you're watching a team competition unfold (it's not based on the performance of just one athlete).

  5. #25
    Beach Bum
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Maryland burbs and shore
    Posts
    13,101
    vCash
    583
    Rep Power
    9792
    They are Olympic medalists. OGMs are often announced simply as OGMs, not OGM in the Pairs; Dance; Ladies; Mens event.
    So why qualify it with team event? When Katia skates alone, is she always, every single time announced as "two-time OGM in the pairs event," to be sure no-one thinks she won the ladies event. I doubt it. I bet she is announced as two-time OGM.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    They are Olympic medalists. OGMs are often announced simply as OGMs, not OGM in the Pairs; Dance; Ladies; Mens event.
    So why qualify it with team event? When Katia skates alone, is she always, every single time announced as "two-time OGM in the pairs event," to be sure no-one thinks she won the ladies event. I doubt it. I bet she is announced as two-time OGM.
    Sure, in like an exhibition skate, but I'd argue that in almost every other context Sergei is almost always brought up. Even if she were giving some motivational speech and was introduced without any mention of Sergei, she would inevitably have to mention him herself.
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 04-14-2014 at 08:32 PM.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    When the 2008 Beijing Olympics were going on, I specifically remember Nastia getting the most fanfare when she won the individual all around. Despite the fact that Shawn also won gold for the balance beam.

    Most general audiences remember Nastia as the gymnastics ladies' victor at that Olympics (and China as the team victor). They don't remember Nastia and Shawn as both being on the same level just because they both got a gold medal...

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    166
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sure some gold medals are worth more than others. However all are still a gold medal. Had Nastia won only silver in the AA (and someone other than Shawn won gold) and Shawn won the gold on beam, Shawn would probably still get more attention for her "gold" medal than Nastia's silver, despite the AA being more prestigious. With both having a gold, but one being the coveted all around, and one winning 5 medals to other's 4, it is obvious which was the victor of the games.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,774
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    They ARE olympic medalists!! They competed in a sanctioned Olympic event and earned a bronze medal. Would they rather have earned an individual medal (like Charlie and Meryl)? Yes. Are they going to return their team bronze and delete it from their resumes? No!! And neither would I!! People should quit being so snobbish on here.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,222
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    33132
    I don't think it makes one damn bit of difference to anyone other than a tiny handful of die-hard skating fans.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    In general, I always get the sense during the Olympics that nationalism comes even more into play during team events vs individual. There is a clear distinction in the viewer's mind for many reasons, one of which is that there's an entirely different dynamic when you're watching a team competition unfold (it's not based on the performance of just one athlete).
    Nothing wrong with being nationalistic. The Olympics ARE nationalistic. Just because some of us value the skating than the nationality of the skater does not mean the Olympics are the same way.

    In a Team event, some players that would not win championships without their stars, but they do get the rings. I don't see why every skater on a team must be at the same high level in order to win a medal. That skater did perform and contributed at least some points toward the total.

    That said, an Olympic medal is an Olympic medal- Team event or not. It's time some skating fans stopped treating the team medal as not a real Olympic medal. The event was sanctioned by the IOC and based on the rules some skaters won medals as members of their teams.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Nothing wrong with being nationalistic. The Olympics ARE nationalistic. Just because some of us value the skating than the nationality of the skater does not mean the Olympics are the same way.
    I never argued otherwise. The point in that post was that I don't agree with the idea that the general public doesn't differentiate between team victors vs individual victors. If they remember anything at all from a particular Olympic games, they remember the stories and either the individual athlete or the team as a whole. The individual athletes who dominated individual events like Phelps are certainly remembered differently from those who only won a team event.

    In a Team event, some players that would not win championships without their stars, but they do get the rings. I don't see why every skater on a team must be at the same high level in order to win a medal. That skater did perform and contributed at least some points toward the total.

    That said, an Olympic medal is an Olympic medal- Team event or not. It's time some skating fans stopped treating the team medal as not a real Olympic medal. The event was sanctioned by the IOC and based on the rules some skaters won medals as members of their teams.
    But I never said a team medal wasn't a valid Olympic medal. I just don't see a problem with clarifying that it's a team medal. It's not snobbish. It's the truth. If people interpret that as demeaning to the team medals, then they are afraid of the truth.

    Most if any of the dissent over this has come from skating forums. So basically the fans of certain team winners who had no chance at an individual medal probably feel that their favorite skaters were slighted on skating forums. No one's arguing that these skaters received a fake medal, just that it's not worth the same as an individual medal. No one seems to be arguing that all medals are worth the same, rather they just seem to be arguing the same technicality that they're all still Olympic medals. But that was never up for debate to begin with..
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 04-14-2014 at 09:07 PM.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,417
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, because they have to know people will think in terms of the individual events first so it seems a slightly deceitful way of trying to inflate their accomplishment. I think it entirely appropriate though to introduce someone as "Olympic team silver medalist" (or whatever).

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    166
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I dont think most clarify what their olympic gold is in other sports. Members of the Mag 7, all except Miller who never won a major individual title in anything ever, not even a world event gold (not even Dawes which is surprising), all call themselves Olympic Gold medalists. They dont say Olympic Team gold when they introduce themselves and arent with their teammates. The same with relay gold medalists in track and swimming, they just call themselves an Olympic Champion. Josh Davis trumpets himself as the only swimmer to win 3 golds at the Atlanta Games, even though all were in relays, and he never even won an individual medal at a World Championships in his whole career.

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11128
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    But I never said a team medal wasn't a valid Olympic medal. I just don't see a problem with clarifying that it's a team medal. It's not snobbish. It's the truth. If people interpret that as demeaning to the team medals, then they are afraid of the truth.

    Most if any of the dissent over this has come from skating forums. So basically the fans of certain team winners who had no chance at an individual medal probably feel that their favorite skaters were slighted on skating forums. No one's arguing that these skaters received a fake medal, just that it's not worth the same as an individual medal. No one seems to be arguing that all medals are worth the same, rather they just seem to be arguing the same technicality that they're all still Olympic medals. But that was never up for debate to begin with..
    The statement you have made that I put in bold type is what bothers me - who is to say that that medal is not "worth" the same as the individual medals? I understand your point, but just because one person or even many think it's not "worth" the same doesn't mean it really is worth less. For all your arguing that other fans feel their favorites might get slighted by having the medal designated with the qualifier of "team medal," you also seem to suggest that you want to insure that your favorites or skaters who you think are better who did win individual medals are considered as having a "better" or "higher" medal that is worth more by insisting on the team medal having that qualifier or "asterisk" next to it. In other words, they have to be called team medals because they are a "lesser" achievement.

    I'll say it then - I think the medals are equal on a scale of "worth," they are all Olympic medals. While there are unique pressures that come with an individual event or medal, there are also unique pressures that come with team medals (just ask Kerri Strug about that last vault...). I would never insist that an asterisk should be placed next to her medal to insure the world knows it was "only" for the team event.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    with the traditionless
    Posts
    5,618
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8583
    Conversely, then, why should it matter that it is designated as Olympic Team Figure Skating Gold – if all medals have equal value?
    What would Jenny do?

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    I'll say it then - I think the medals are equal on a scale of "worth," they are all Olympic medals. While there are unique pressures that come with an individual event or medal, there are also unique pressures that come with team medals (just ask Kerri Strug about that last vault...).
    K, and the earth is flat and the sun goes round the moon.

    I would never insist that an asterisk should be placed next to her medal to insure the world knows it was "only" for the team event.
    Except it is in the record books...

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    166
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Kerry Fug became way more famous for winning her team gold than she ever would have even if she won the AA (which scary as it is she could have if she competed and hit, and Lilia fell, along with the rest of the splatfest, and with the inflated scores she was getting at those games).

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by butyrskafanatic View Post
    Kerry Fug became way more famous for winning her team gold than she ever would have even if she won the AA (which scary as it is she could have if she competed and hit, and Lilia fell, along with the rest of the splatfest, and with the inflated scores she was getting at those games).
    That's nice that you're bringing up exceptions from other sports that have almost always had team events

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    166
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    That's nice that you're bringing up exceptions from other sports that have almost always had team events
    Well if team event stays in skating longer the thinking will change and be more in line with those sports. If it has a short shelf life, there wont be much to talk about much longer. It is too early to tell.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •