View Poll Results: Does it bother you when Olympic team event medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

78 24.53%
  • No

169 53.14%
  • I may get used to it in time

46 14.47%
  • Depends who the skater is

25 7.86%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

vCash
    To borrow from Tara Lipinski, they are ALL Olympic medalists, and no-one can ever take that away from them...

That said, to add qualifiers is frankly silly, and it almost seems like some of you would like EXTRA qualifiers added: Picture the introductions: "US Olympic Figure Skating Team Competition Bronze Medalist Jason Brown." "US Olympic Figure Skating Team Competition Bronze Medalist, and she's lucky that she was even sent to the damned competition, Ashley Wagner." (medal can carry a double asterisk for those who are still mad that Nagasu got passed over). "US Olympic Figure Skating Team Competition Bronze Medalist, who doesn't deserve it all because he choked and fell on his ass and did nothing to contribute to the team medal, Jeremy Abbott." And so on, and so on...

Yes, I'm being facetious, but at the end of the day they are still Olympic medalists and in the big picture of things, that's fine with the world aside from some fans who are pissed that those who they perceive as lesser skaters are being called medalists with the same weight as individual medalists and/or their favorites were not on a team that qualified or whose team didn't make the podium. Sorry, but I think the medals are all worthwhile and are all worth the same in the respect that they are Olympic medals. That doesn't mean I thought all skaters or performances were medal-worthy, but then again, how many times have we seen that happen (hello, Sarah Hughes...).
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Not on the U.S. and Canadian SOI sites, though
    I think it must have been the TV commercial where I heard "team bronze medalist."

having a nice day
    vCash
    Yes it bothers me. Because to me there is a big difference between being on a medal-winning team and going out there all on yr own and winning a medal based solely on yr own skills and efforts.
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Yeah, Hanyu and Adelina are *soooo* superior to D&W and V&T.

vCash
    It's a new category for figure skating at the Olympics, so it changes our way of looking at and thinking about the sport. It's actually fairly revolutionary and definitely a transition in process, so it takes getting used to. Having an Olympic medal as part of a dance, pair or single event is a way more difficult enterprise and its certainly harder to make it to the top in the traditional four disciplines. Think about the fact of how difficult and how coveted an Olympic gold medal in figure skating has traditionally been to achieve.

The team event has opened up more opportunities and possibilities for many more skaters to accomplish that dream of an Olympic medal (which is a good thing for those lucky enough to have made the team this quad from a country that has good depth in all the disciplines). The fact you can now cop gold, silver, or bronze Olympic medal in figure skating without even being in the top five or ten in one of the four traditional events is a lofty previously unheard of achievement. So yes, it is somewhat unusual and disconcerting to hear certain individual skaters being called Olympic medalists (which of course they are) when they have really not achieved the pinnacle yet in their individual discipline, and still have a lot to work on.

vCash
    A little...I don't think about it too much. It just seems crazy to me that someone like Jeremy, who bombed so bad he risked taking the US out of medal contention, is an Olympic medalist, when far more greater performing athletes aren't.

vCash
    You win an Olympic gold medal or an Olympic bronze medal, you are an Olympic gold or bronze medalist. What is the confusion.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Does it bother you when Olympic ... medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?
    No. It does not bother me when Olympic medalists are called Olympic medalists.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    A little...I don't think about it too much. It just seems crazy to me that someone like Jeremy, who bombed so bad he risked taking the US out of medal contention, is an Olympic medalist, when far more greater performing athletes aren't.
    Oh well, to each their own perception. Jeremy Abbott is an extremely talented figure skater who despite having problems in the hot light of competition is certainly an accomplished skater and he definitely earned his way to the Olympics. He has a team bronze Olympic medal and he contributed despite not being at his best. Sure he got the rep of faltering and was unable to shake it in big international moments. There are plenty of skaters who have suffered inconsistencies in numerous competitions, while performing brilliantly in others ... Patrick Chan comes to mind for example. But many skaters experience consistency problems. The most consistent competitive skaters I can think of are Evgeny Plushenko and Michelle Kwan, and even they too had challenging moments on competition ice.

It seems to come down to whether or not you can turn off the negative thought process when it matters most. Also luck and politics factor in, as well as personality. Being fully embraced by Fed and ISU judges definitely can make a difference.

It is quite clearly a matter of luck and of being able to carve out your moment when it comes ... a matter of conquering nerves and showing that you are in control, right place, right time. That happened for Jeremy at 2014 U.S. Nationals, and at recent Worlds fp. Most spectacularly it happened for Machida at 2014 Worlds sp, for Denis Ten at 2013 Worlds, for Patrick Chan 2013 TEB and 2011 Worlds, for Jason Brown 2014 US Nats, and memorably for Brian Boitano 1988 Olympics. Also for Michelle Kwan on numerous occasions.

As far as the Olympic medalist question, sure, a medalist is a medalist is a medallist whether or not won in a team effort or in one of the traditional four events. Over time I believe distinctions will naturally be made, not in the sense that a team medal has less value, but that with multiple events and opportunities to medal, category helps add clarity. Already I noticed a recent article mentions Peter Oppegard as an Olympic bronze medalist in the pair event.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 04-19-2014 at 03:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Yeah, Hanyu and Adelina are *soooo* superior to D&W and V&T.
    A team medal doesn't indicate that a skater/team are superior within their discipline. It indicates which team was the strongest as a whole.

And I think team medalists will be referred to as _____ medalists in the team event, not just 'Olympic ___ medalists' or 'Olympic champions'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    A team medal doesn't indicate that a skater/team are superior within their discipline. It indicates which team was the strongest as a whole.

And I think team medalists will be referred to as _____ medalists in the team event, not just 'Olympic ___ medalists' or 'Olympic champions'.
    Maxim Trankov calls himself a 2x Olympic gold medalist on twitter and that is all he says. I guess it depends on the individual. If you are someone like him who is dominant you must feel enpowered and like it were 2 individual competititions you would have won twice anyway. For someone like Abbott or Wagner you might feel cheesier and shyer about the honor.

vCash
    To be fair, if the Russians that competed in the team events call themselves Olympic champions, or if Canadians from team event call themselves Olympic silver medalists, or if US skaters from team event call themselves Olympic bronze medalists, I am fine with that. I would probably not be fine if Japanese team won the gold and then Takahashi-Kihara would call themselves Olympic champions, because their current skating is so weak in comparison to the majority pairs who competed at Olympics that I can't see they would contribute to the overall result; they would be more of a hindrance. In comparison, the skaters from Russian team, Canadian team and US team were of reasonable standard and they all contributed somehow to the final results, so I am OK with them being Olympic medalists. So at least I feel their medal is deserved.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frillit View Post
    Maxim Trankov calls himself a 2x Olympic gold medalist on twitter and that is all he says. I guess it depends on the individual. If you are someone like him who is dominant you must feel enpowered and like it were 2 individual competititions you would have won twice anyway. For someone like Abbott or Wagner you might feel cheesier and shyer about the honor.
    Yep, Trankov achieved in a couple of weeks what Protopopov, Zaitsev, Dmitriev, and Grinkov achieved over 4-8 years ...
    Last edited by bardtoob; 04-19-2014 at 11:25 AM.

vCash
    What I wish would happen is that the team event should happen after the individual events! No one cares much about the team event... This isn't gymnastics where the gymnasts qualify for the all around and individual events in the qualifying team competition in order to advance. A lot of the commentators took note of the fact that the skaters who competed in the team event looked tired and weren't able to put on their best performance on their individual competition nights.

vCash
    I'm with those who say it should be clarified; I think an announcer should announce the skater who's just won a team medal as "Olympic team gold/silver/bronze medalist" simply to avoid confusion. I've translated quite a few texts for rhythmic gymnastics over the years; they've got an All Around World/European Championship and an Apparatus World/European Championship and it's usually said as something like "two-time World Champion with clubs and hoop" or "All Around World Champion" or whatever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    I'm with those who say it should be clarified; I think an announcer should announce the skater who's just won a team medal as "Olympic team gold/silver/bronze medalist".
    I agree.

The US team members that got Bronze do seem to identify it as Team Bronze on their web pages/facebooks

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Just voted. No, it doesn't bother me at all because the Team Medalists are Olympic Medalists. They won Medals at the Olympics.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    What I wish would happen is that the team event should happen after the individual events! No one cares much about the team event...
    Why don't you be clear and just say the YOU don't care about the team event? Trust me, I think the skaters who skated in it and their federations (and may of their fans like me) cared about it quite a bit.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    What I wish would happen is that the team event should happen after the individual events! No one cares much about the team event... This isn't gymnastics where the gymnasts qualify for the all around and individual events in the qualifying team competition in order to advance. A lot of the commentators took note of the fact that the skaters who competed in the team event looked tired and weren't able to put on their best performance on their individual competition nights.
    No one? I care. I know the athletes cared, and they skated like it. It was nice to see their happy faces when they received their Olympic medals.

vCash
    Yes it bothers me. I have no intellectual rationalization, just an emotional gut reaction. I guess I'm old school and can't seem to take the team event seriously, at least not yet. No disrespect to the participating skaters and their efforts intended.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast