View Poll Results: Does it bother you when Olympic team event medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

78 24.53%
  • No

169 53.14%
  • I may get used to it in time

46 14.47%
  • Depends who the skater is

25 7.86%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Does it bother you when Olympic team event medalists are called "Olympic medalists"?

Please pick one option.

vCash
    No, since they are in fact Olympics medalist and for almost all they gave it their best efforts in order to get their medals but it seems like a lot of people want the medals to be quantified as "team medals" so that it will be clearer.

And my viewpoint may also be due to the fact that since I'm a new figure skating fan, the team event at the Olympics didn't take getting used to.
    Last edited by redfiretrees; 04-14-2014 at 04:08 PM.

vCash
    Nope. They got a medal at the Olympics. Therefore, they are Olympic medalists.

vCash
    No. They are actually Olympic Medalists so I don't see why it should bother anyone.

vCash
    It makes me double take when I read things like "Skater X, Olympic Gold/Silver/Bronze Medalist", and then I remember it was in the team event, and a Tourette's style voice in my head says "not a proper medalist"

vCash
    I am fine with it; I think what bothers some fans is that some of the skaters who received medals (eg: Kevin Reynolds, Castelli and Schnapir) had no shot whatsoever at individual medals, so they believe there should be a "qualifier." I don't - they did their teams proud with their performances (well, most of them) and they are Olympic Medalists, period.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    It makes me double take when I read things like "Skater X, Olympic Gold/Silver/Bronze Medalist", and then I remember it was in the team event, and a Tourette's style voice in my head says "not a proper medalist"
    I should have made this a poll option!

So did you vote?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-14-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post

Yeah, but it will take some getting used to. If it's an oly event, the'yre oly medalists.

vCash
    No, but I think it should be clarified as a "team" medal.

vCash
    I have been able to be in denial because I thought the team event was ill conceived, I disagreed with it being first (and still think it should come after the individual events) and becuase i was on holiday for the Olympics and didn't watch them I can totally ignore that the team event happened at all.

Is the team event here to stay? If it is then why don't they have it at worlds as well? It seems ridiculous to have a made up event for the Olympics that doesn't form any part of the figure skating season at any other time. For as long as it doesn't appear at the world championships, I won't view the team event at the Olympics as a "real" event.

Of course there's no denying a medal won at the Olympcis is just that...but I don't have to buy into it

vCash
    It's OK to announce them as "member of the 2014 Olympics Team Event gold-medal winning team" (or silver or bronze) but NOT as 'the' gold or silver or bronze medalist.

Do winners of the cheesy ISU 'World Team Trophy' get announced as World Champs? Of course not.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    It's OK to announce them as "member of the 2014 Olympics Team Event gold-medal winning team" (or silver or bronze) but NOT as 'the' gold or silver or bronze medalist.
    That sure is wordy. If an announcer says 2014 Olympic Gold Medalist Julia Lipnitskaya; the statement is completely accurate. Nothing about that says she won the ladies figure skating event.

Do winners of the cheesy ISU 'World Team Trophy' get announced as World Champs? Of course not.
    Probably because the event is not part of the World Championships.

vCash
    As long as it's clarified as a team medal then it's fine.

As valid and well-earned as it is, I find it disingenuous how some people act as if it's worth the same as an individual medal. It's unfair to not only older skaters but current great skaters from countries without strong skating teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    That sure is wordy. If an announcer says 2014 Olympic Gold Medalist Julia Lipnitskaya; the statement is completely accurate. Nothing about that says she won the ladies figure skating event.
    But that's not the issue and I feel like you're skirting the real issue based on a technicality. Introducing her as an Olympic gold medalist without clarifying that it's a team medal is misleading to general audiences and new followers of the sport.

vCash
    I've never heard another sport clarify their team and relay medalist; to make sure no one thinks they are "real" medalists.

But that's not the issue and I feel like you're skirting the real issue based on a technicality.
    Well, for me there is no "real" issue- I think people are making an issue up to make sure that skaters they think are inferior aren't recognized for their medals.

vCash
    I've never heard another sport clarify their team and relay medalist; to make sure no one thinks they are "real" medalists.
    And who said they weren't "real" medalists? The argument was that they weren't the same as individual medalists, not that their medals are fake or invalid.

And you contradict yourself because even if no one had to clarify it officially, you know based on the record who was a team vs relay medalist.

vCash
    If someone wins in a swimming relay, I'm pretty sure they say oly gold medalist in the 400 meter relay. They might not do that for someone like Michael Phelps when they say 8 time Oly gold medalist but that is because his individual achievements trump the need to do so.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    If someone wins in a swimming relay, I'm pretty sure they say oly gold medalist in the 400 meter relay. They might not do that for someone like Michael Phelps when they say 8 time Oly gold medalist but that is because his individual achievements trump the need to do so.
    Or sometimes they are just announced as "Olympic Gold Medalist" with no further qualifier if the discussion is not about the event.

Check out this bio:
    https://usagym.org/pages/athletes/ar...s/s/kstrug.pdf
    Kerri Strug has no individual Olympic medals. The expansive bio mentions the team event Gold, but the awards listed at the top of the page don't qualify it at all; and alot of people are not going to bother reading a block of text. (And actually- that text on the first page doesn't say the Barcelona medal was a team medal either; or that her World medals are all team medals.)

If they aren't giving an extensive bio- there is no need to mention the event.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 04-14-2014 at 08:02 PM.

vCash
    Well, for me there is no "real" issue- I think people are making an issue up to make sure that skaters they think are inferior aren't recognized for their medals.
    ..Or because it's a completely different medal?

vCash
    Or sometimes they are just announced as "Olympic Gold Medalist" with no further qualifier if the discussion is not about the event.
    I should clarify, I'm fine with the media casually calling Gracie or whomever an Olympic medalist without mentioning the team aspect, but the official record will still specify that it was a team medal. And that obviously applies to swimming or whatever as well. So true followers of the sport certainly know that it's not the same thing.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    During Worlds, where there was no team event, it bothered me to refer to any of the TE/not individual event skaters as medalists without qualifying that their medal was in TE. It just sounds disingenuous (although technically true) to announce Wagner (who I like) simply as an Olympic medalist as she's about to take ice in a singles event. The medal was for something different than what we're about to watch, and needs more context, IMO.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast