vCash

Question about Riedell Skates

I was wondering if anyone can help with the renaming and seemingly now the redesign of Riedell skates.

I think i've had my current pair for about 6 years or more, they don't appear to be breaking down yet but i'm thinking they will very soon and I want to keep an eye out for any bargains, so.....

I bought these Riedell Silver Stars, like I said 6 or 7 years ago. The boot fitter at the time said it was up to me whether I went for the gold star or the silver star, but thought either would be good depending on my plans. I decided to go for the silver star as I was wary of buying too much boot. I had practically no break in period and the boots were really comfortable.

So my question is - which current Riedell boot is the equivalent of the old silver star? The boot fitter I previously used has left the country and I don't have anyone that close to where I live. I have tried to do some digging and found that after a period of not using the "star" tag with the boots Riedell have now brought them back so i've found the 875 Silver Star and the 1375 Gold Star.

But reading the information about the Silver star says it's appropriate for double and triple jumps, and the gold star says double, triple and quad jumps

So are the "star" skates equivalent to the old or have the redesigned them or called a different elite level boot these names? I can't imagine that my current silver stars were billed as boots for double and triple jumps.

I'm a lowly recreational skater with single jumps up to an occasional lutz, dreams of maybe working on an axel one day and that's it. I'm male 5ft 10 and weight tends to be between 180-190lbs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    So are the "star" skates equivalent to the old or have the redesigned them or called a different elite level boot these names? I can't imagine that my current silver stars were billed as boots for double and triple jumps.

I'm a lowly recreational skater with single jumps up to an occasional lutz, dreams of maybe working on an axel one day and that's it. I'm male 5ft 10 and weight tends to be between 180-190lbs.
    I skate in Jacksons, not Riedells, but a lot of those designations about double or triple jumps don't always apply to adult skaters. I skate in Elite plus boots (roughly equivalent to this new model http://shoprainbo.com/womens-figure-...reme-3900.html). I'm about as removed from trying triple jumps as you can get. I do land the occasional axel and would like to get back to trying doubles one of these days, but even if my jumps are pretty far from the ones mentioned in the boot description, I didn't think the boots were too stiff after the first week or so. Most adults weigh more than the average skaters the boots are designed for anyway (i.e kids) so going up a level or two is fairly common from what I've seen.

Hopefully someone who has more experience with Riedells can help out with actual model names -good luck!

vCash
    I don't think they are the same. My daughter got her silver star boots when she was maybe gamma level (ISI). They were closer to the new motion/edge/stride boots but not as nice as the new line. Her boot hooks used to bend. The new hooks look like they are sturdier. The motion has the lace bar which is nice too.

The new Bronze/Silver/Gold - my daughter is about 100lbs, doing doubles and the pro shop suggested the bronze star. Her coach agrees, the silver are more stiff and she might not be able to bend her knees if she uses the top hook. She is a prejuv/int skater. The bronze star replaces the 435 and they made it 5% stiffer.

They are available on twitter and facebook for more details.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    My husband had Riedell Gold Stars prior to his current boots. The reason was his height and weight, not because he was doing doubles (at the time he only had a couple of singles). That was under the 'old' Riedell scheme and I'm pretty sure they were advertised as being for doubles/triples then as well.

I'm going to have the same problem at some point. I have no idea what my Gold Medallion boots translate to in the new naming, but I will probably want the equivalent when they eventually break down.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Hop View Post
    My husband had Riedell Gold Stars prior to his current boots. The reason was his height and weight, not because he was doing doubles (at the time he only had a couple of singles). That was under the 'old' Riedell scheme and I'm pretty sure they were advertised as being for doubles/triples then as well.

I'm going to have the same problem at some point. I have no idea what my Gold Medallion boots translate to in the new naming, but I will probably want the equivalent when they eventually break down.
    Thanks for the responses everyone I really appreciate it - i might try social media to talk to Riedell directly too.

Bunnyhop - my previous boot fitter has moved closer to you than me now (but still not practical for you) to New Zealand. He's also retired so that's not much help.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I was wondering if anyone can help with the renaming and seemingly now the redesign of Riedell skates.

I think i've had my current pair for about 6 years or more, they don't appear to be breaking down yet but i'm thinking they will very soon and I want to keep an eye out for any bargains, so.....

I bought these Riedell Silver Stars, like I said 6 or 7 years ago. The boot fitter at the time said it was up to me whether I went for the gold star or the silver star, but thought either would be good depending on my plans. I decided to go for the silver star as I was wary of buying too much boot. I had practically no break in period and the boots were really comfortable.

So my question is - which current Riedell boot is the equivalent of the old silver star? The boot fitter I previously used has left the country and I don't have anyone that close to where I live. I have tried to do some digging and found that after a period of not using the "star" tag with the boots Riedell have now brought them back so i've found the 875 Silver Star and the 1375 Gold Star.

But reading the information about the Silver star says it's appropriate for double and triple jumps, and the gold star says double, triple and quad jumps

The current equivalent of the old Silver Stars is the 435 TS model.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Bunnyhop - my previous boot fitter has moved closer to you than me now (but still not practical for you) to New Zealand. He's also retired so that's not much help.
    Ah, close, but not close enough! I fear my next boot purchase will be taking my chances over the internet, unless I can swing an overseas trip to somewhere useful. They only seem to sell Jacksons here in Australia and I don't think there are any really expert fitters regardless.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash

Lightbulb

The 2014 Star series have gotten considerably stiffer than the classic Gold, Silver and Bronze Stars from eight years ago, which used primarily leather and non-woven materials for reinforcement. The new TriFusion reinforcement that is used in these 2014 skates have made them stronger, lighter and more durable. We would recommend either the 255 Motion or the 435 Bronze Star to replace your old Silver Star skates. The Bronze Star gives you a bit more strength overall, a more comfortable lining, improved internal tongue reinforcement and is internally padded for better comfort and support. It also has an updated top grain leather soling system. Either skate will perform and last better than the old Silver Stars from eight years ago. Jumps are only one criteria for which skate to select. Skater weight, skating style and hours on the ice are also factors in decision making. In this case, the Motion and the Bronze Star are comparable in support level (70 vs 80) and it becomes a personal choice of how the rest of the skate is finished (lining, soling system, heel, tongue) and budget. Thanks!
    —Dan Riegelman, Riedell Skates
    Last edited by RiedellSkates; 05-21-2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Added original thread quote from antmanb

vCash
    Thanks for responding, Dan from Reidell!
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Well that's service for you! I've loved these current Riedell skates, and that kind of response adds to my brand loyalty!

vCash
    Wow, nice of a vendor representative to give us the information! Thanks!