Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    And any time you feel like providing those examples of when the Congress has voted against something that $peedy was clearly in favour of, go right ahead.
    I love trivia questions. ;-))

I believe the latest major example was at the Congress in 2010 where the ISU Council (and Mr. Cinquanta) were pushing for major changes to the ISU Constitution that would have directed additional power to the Council and President versus the Congress. These changes were defeated.

Another was at the Congress in 2012 where the renewal of qualifying rounds at ISU Championship events was set for renewal and backed by the Council. Some of the countries did not like the qualifying rounds and voted against them. No more qualifying rounds. However it backfired on many of these federations as contracts with the Organizers of the Canadian and Japan Championships were already in place that limited the expenses (room and board) that the organizers had to pay for the competitors to those qualifying for the short program. With no qualifying rounds this would have increased the numbers the organizers were responsible for by almost twice. This would have been a breach of contract. The solution that was put in place to meet the contract requirements was the "minimum qualifing score". So the minimum score was not something promoted by the Council, but rather a reaction to a defeated proposal that had contractural implications.

So it is possible to get changes made...it just takes a 2/3 vote (or over 1/3 against) on all of the issues to do so. Next week should be interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
    I love trivia questions. ;-))

I believe the latest major example was at the Congress in 2010 where the ISU Council (and Mr. Cinquanta) were pushing for major changes to the ISU Constitution that would have directed additional power to the Council and President versus the Congress. These changes were defeated.

Good response Emmett

Another was at the Congress in 2012 where the renewal of qualifying rounds at ISU Championship events was set for renewal and backed by the Council. Some of the countries did not like the qualifying rounds and voted against them. No more qualifying rounds. However it backfired on many of these federations as contracts with the Organizers of the Canadian and Japan Championships were already in place that limited the expenses (room and board) that the organizers had to pay for the competitors to those qualifying for the short program. With no qualifying rounds this would have increased the numbers the organizers were responsible for by almost twice. This would have been a breach of contract. The solution that was put in place to meet the contract requirements was the "minimum qualifing score". So the minimum score was not something promoted by the Council, but rather a reaction to a defeated proposal that had contractural implications.

So it is possible to get changes made...it just takes a 2/3 vote (or over 1/3 against) on all of the issues to do so. Next week should be interesting.
    Good response Emmett. I did not respond because it likely useless to reach people so full of hate for someon they have never met. let alone worked with. Such people only read posts on blogs such as this one and then make up their own stories as to how the ISU Functions.
    Morry Stillwell

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    [QUOTE=Morry Stillwell;4273679]
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    You have no way of knowing this.

Indeed I do know, because anyone who has participated in an ISU Congress would not make such outlandish, unknowlegable statements. Between an Congress the Council conducts and approves all measures that are in effect until the next congress.
    Um...you make outlandish and seemingly uninformed statements all the time. You also snootily look down your nose at anyone else who is indeed knowledgeable of the sport, but has not been in your position. And I'm assuming that you have participated in these ISU congress rituals so.....

(past experience does not necessarily make someone an encouraging and intelligent fount of wisdom)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    Good response Emmett. I did not respond because it likely useless to reach people so full of hate for someon they have never met. let alone worked with.
    If you are going to explain to everyone why they are wrong about how the ISU works, you should be prepared to back up your positions.

Such people only read posts on blogs such as this one and then make up their own stories as to how the ISU Functions.
    I have seen how the ISU functions - in person, not from "read[ing] posts on blogs". I don't have to make up stories about it.

Incidentally, Morry, this is a message/discussion board, not a blog.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    should be prepared to back up your positions.

Incidentally, Morry, this is a message/discussion board, not a blog.[/QUOTE]

I am so sorry for this serious mistake
    Morry Stillwell

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789