Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    vCash
    It seems skaters' names have been dropped from the letter, which I think is a good thing. This is a great petition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    At championships all the judges do represent the ISU.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2014/SEG001OF.HTM

Unless all the judges are put in hermetically sealed boxes for the whole season or until the ISU invents robot judges, there is no way to prevent politicking. The only way to remove subjectivity from judging is to remove human beings altogether. And if that's not what you are suggesting, you and others are being completely unrealistic.
    The more open a process is to the public, the more fair the outcome.

1. The scoring system must be set up in a way that the public can easily follow along and make their own qualitative judgements that the competition is fair and scored as accurately as possible.

2. Anonymous judging must be eliminated for the same reason.

vCash
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ToFarAwayTimes View Post
    It seems skaters' names have been dropped from the letter, which I think is a good thing. This is a great petition.
    It is very poor petition, done under misleading circumstances and unethical standards.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Tim's interview with Reuters is fantastic!

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    Tim's interview with Reuters is fantastic!
    I really do wish he would stop lobbying for the return of 6.0. He should concentrate on getting rid of the head honcho.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    I really do wish he would stop lobbying for the return of 6.0. He should concentrate on getting rid of the head honcho.
    Totally agree. 6.0 is an antiquated out of date system. Whilst you may not like IJS, that does not solve the problem.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Well it may be a lot of Cop/ IJS water under the bridge at this point. However, if ISU and all involved had developed and implemented a better scoring system more thoughtfully and advisedly instead of hastily and aggressively with protection of the judges (and appeasement of the IOC) more in mind than improving and enhancing the sport, perhaps they might have been able to incorporate part of the 6.0 brand into a better developed and well-tested IJS. By rushing headlong for the wrong reasons, they've ended up with a complicated miasma that requires constant tweaking and overhauls. Twelve years and counting, the scoring system and many other aspects of the sport still need fixing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    It is very poor petition, done under misleading circumstances and unethical standards.
    Not to mention that a lot of the signers' comments are along the lines of "justice for Yu-Na", which isn't relevant to what the petition is supposedly talking about.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Yes when overwrought emotions get in the way, the main and more important goal gets distracted and more easily thwarted.

vCash
    I posted the link to an editorial/summary by George Rossano in the 2014 USFS Governing Council thread in GSD - here's an excerpt that's relevant to this thread:
    A second remark from [newly elected USFS president Samuel] Auxier that struck me as significant was a statement that U.S. Figure Skating would do all it could to see that ISU president Cinquanta was a lame-duck. Cinquanta, of course, is already a lame duck and we should have been working more aggressively to see that he was a lame duck in earlier congresses. Nevertheless, this is the first time I have heard a U.S. Figure Skating president publically or privately make such a clear and pointed statement that U.S. Figure Skating would work aggressively to challenge the ISU president's power within the ISU.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-13-2014 at 12:50 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Well it may be a lot of Cop/ IJS water under the bridge at this point. However, if ISU and all involved had developed and implemented a better scoring system more thoughtfully and advisedly instead of hastily and aggressively with protection of the judges (and appeasement of the IOC) more in mind than improving and enhancing the sport, perhaps they might have been able to incorporate part of the 6.0 brand into a better developed and well-tested IJS. By rushing headlong for the wrong reasons, they've ended up with a complicated miasma that requires constant tweaking and overhauls. Twelve years and counting, the scoring system and many other aspects of the sport still need fixing.
    But what is really the issue? Is it the application or the system itself?

Myself and many others in the sport, including a number of judges and skaters, have no problem with the system The problems as I see it come in its application and how it is used.

vCash
    Send A Letter of Concern to all ISU Members and Officials

The following information is provided to make it easy for all skating fans to send emails to all ISU Members and Officials to request they take action to force Ottavio Cinquanta’s resignation.

Blazing Blades Skating News Blog
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    Maybe this could get rid of Cinquanta.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Just curious - has a change.org petition ever changed anything?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Well, he certainly has been screwing the ISU for long enough....
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Yes many times. I frequently sign petitions from Aavaz, and Change.org, and from time to time get emails about their successes. One that stand out in my memory is about a girl from I think an African country (can't remember) who was raped and she was to be publicly stoned for having sex out of wedlock. I have no words re the cruelty and stupidity of this, but a world wide petition led to the government stepping in and preventing the stoning. There have been many successes.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Myself and many others in the sport, including a number of judges and skaters, have no problem with the system The problems as I see it come in its application and how it is used.
    In general I think that's a fair statement. I believe changes need to be made in the scoring system, to simplify it, and also to make sure programs are more clean; however I agree with you that the major problem is the application of the judging rules and technical calls. Imagine playing a basketball game where fouls are only called on one team, and then suddenly that team is only receiving 2 points for three-pointers, and the other team is getting 3 points for two-pointers. There is a scoring system in place and a score exists on the scoreboard, the buzzer sounds and a winner is declared, but nothing more than a farce took place.

The ways to fix this in figure skating are as follows:

1. Clean out the dead wood in the leadership
    2. Create an environment that discourages corruption in the future

The sport cannot move forward with the current leadership in place. Just getting rid of Cinquanta is not enough. Some deputy of his takes over and it's the status quo going forward. There needs to be a popular large scale purge, one to put the fear of God into everyone in the skating community and leadership organizations, that you either align with the new crowd or you get swept away with the old. Names come to light and people get blacklisted. Probably not all of the bad guys get banned but most or all of the important ones do, and then the sport can move forward with a clean slate.

From there, an environment must exist that discourages corruption in the future. One of the principles of democracy, which should be agreeable to USFS among all federations in particular, is that the more transparent a process is, the less prone it is to corruption. End anonymous judging, and simplify the scoring system -- with that, any discrepancies would be easily identified by everyone at large, and open to immediate and unequivocal ridicule (and one would hope, consequences). This would make cheating a mostly futile effort and discourage it in the first place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    When I went to close the page I got a popup saying "Oh no! You decided not to buy??"
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    It sure makes one feel good to sign, along with a glass of wine.
    Morry Stillwell

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast