Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 165
  1. #41
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    42,413
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    26080
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Could US fans get any angrier at usfs?

    I'm still waiting for this geographical shift in popularity to mean something. It's been a decade now. When skating was popular in the US, it funneled $$$$$$$$ into ISU. When it lost its popularity, the ISU lost tons of money, coverage, endorsements, etc... People keep harping about how popular it's become in Asia and Europe for 10 years now, but the ISU is still broke and constantly talking about drastic changes to save a buck or two, like some sort of business on the brink of collapse.
    Where did you get the idea the ISU is broke?

  2. #42
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking for a pairs team to split up
    Posts
    40,229
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    43380
    Like others, I would have signed until I read the statements about Sotnikova. This particular petition is a reflection of the authors personal opinions with which I disagree. And, no, just because one might be anti-war, doesn't mean all anti-war petitions are equal or valid.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    For me to sign a petition, it has to be based on facts, principles, and professionalism. This petition is poorly written, based on personal likes and dislikes of the writer. When it results in hateful comments about a skater rather than Mr cinquanta (and even he needs to be booted out on principles and actions rather than hateful feelings), it is a misguided petition. I will not sign it.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,890
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Where did you get the idea the ISU is broke?
    From the public statements issued by ISU. Where else would I get it from? Just the recent release about $peedy's urgently needed drastic changes in both sports alone was peppered with cost saving ideas.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,306
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31302
    I won't sign it either.

    I won't sign it not only because of the veiled attacks on Sotnikova, but also because it blames $peedy for a whole lot of things that aren't directly his doing. And I say that as no fan of $peedy. It's not his fault that the popularity of figure skating has declined. It is, however, his fault that the ISU is not responding to that by getting better/different deals with broadcasters to reflect that reality. Or responding to it by looking into other ways to make skating content available.

    Also, it seems silly to ask for his resignation now because of things he did in 2002 (the new judging system). It would make more sense to point out some of the problems with how the system is being administered *now* - e.g. the wide variations in some of the marks for the same element for the same skater at the same competition - and ask for his resignation because the ISU hasn't done anything substantive to address these long-standing problems.

    And like others, I won't put my name on anything that self-appointed "journalist" Monica Friedlander is involved with. Not after her shamefully unprofessional behaviour around the last petition she was involved with.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,226
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    34903
    It looks as though the bit about Sotnikova and the ladies "controversy" has been removed from the petition.

    I want Cinquanta replaced, but I'm still not signing it. Almost all of the comments say "justice for Yuna Kim," which has nothing to do with Cinquanta.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,016
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It seems like removing the objectionable part would make me more likely to sign it- but now I am less likely to sign it.
    If it can be edited after our signatures are affixed, who knows what the author may ADD later.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,681
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16655
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    who knows what the author may ADD later.
    Probably the parts the author removed for now!

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    It looks as though the bit about Sotnikova and the ladies "controversy" has been removed from the petition.

    I want Cinquanta replaced, but I'm still not signing it. Almost all of the comments say "justice for Yuna Kim," which has nothing to do with Cinquanta.
    I have already seen what the writer wrote. Removing it will not make me sign it.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,941
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36617
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Also, it seems silly to ask for his resignation now because of things he did in 2002 (the new judging system). It would make more sense to point out some of the problems with how the system is being administered *now* - e.g. the wide variations in some of the marks for the same element for the same skater at the same competition - and ask for his resignation because the ISU hasn't done anything substantive to address these long-standing problems.
    I totally agree.

    If we are talking about IJS, you cannot just point the finger at one person because there have been a number of officials within the ISU who were instrumental with setting it up and felt it was in the best interests in the sport. A new system would have happened anyway because 6.0 was a dinosaur that had had it's day. Also with the development of software and technology, the sport needed something that was going to bring it into the 21st century. That is why the point alone is just wrong. And just because an individual whose knowledge of the sport is questionable doesn't like it, doesn't validate the failure of the system. That is to say, their accusations of the failure of the system are not a fact but rather a perspective.

    As others have said, IJS hasn't stopped the interest in sport in countries outside of North America.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  11. #51

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,306
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31302
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    It seems like removing the objectionable part would make me more likely to sign it- but now I am less likely to sign it.
    If it can be edited after our signatures are affixed, who knows what the author may ADD later.
    Seriously. You don't edit the text of a petition *after* people have signed it. That's misleading and unethical.
    Last edited by overedge; 04-13-2014 at 02:16 AM.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by calica View Post
    Requesting the resignation of Ottavio Cinquanta from the presidency of the International Skating Union

    https://www.change.org/petitions/ott...-skating-union
    The backhanded attack on Adelina Sotnikova was dishonest and reprehensible in this so-called 'petition' supposedly against Cinquanta. Shame on anyone that buys into this rubbish.

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWalt View Post
    I'm all for asking Speedy to resign, but I totally agree with Rob that naming specific skaters is uncalled for. I will therefore not sign the petition.
    Neither will I for the same reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    No, it's not just you . . . The goal of the petition is to call attention to the damage Cinquanta has done to this sport. The sponsors aren't expecting a direct response from the ISU (although that would be nice). What they're hoping is to raise attention to this issue. Hopefully those with greater authority than us--federation members, council members--will notice and it will have an effect, even if only behind the scenes. It only takes moments to sign, and who doesn't agree that getting rid of Cinquanta is a worthy goal?
    The goal of the petition seems to damage Cinquanta as well as take cheap shots at Sotnikova, a skater who did nothing wrong. I refuse to sign this one but if a petition is made up specifically for the resignation of Cinquanta and not to personally insult Sotnikova nor any other skater then I will sign it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I will not sign the petition due to the Sotnikova comments. I do not think the Sochi results are figure skating's worst scandal. Nor do I think Kim and Kostner skated flawlessly.

    The inclusion of that point ruins the petition.
    ITA. Imo most who sign such a petition have an agenda against Sotnikova as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by gofigure View Post
    No doubt she is the instigator and author of this petition not just a sponsor as she lists herself. The personal attack on Sotnikova is disgraceful. While she obviously believes someone else should have won the title that is not the opinion of many others of which I am one.
    THIS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    For me to sign a petition, it has to be based on facts, principles, and professionalism. This petition is poorly written, based on personal likes and dislikes of the writer. When it results in hateful comments about a skater rather than Mr cinquanta (and even he needs to be booted out on principles and actions rather than hateful feelings), it is a misguided petition. I will not sign it.
    Whole post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    It seems like removing the objectionable part would make me more likely to sign it- but now I am less likely to sign it.
    If it can be edited after our signatures are affixed, who knows what the author may ADD later.
    My thoughts exactly. Some probably signed due to the reference to Adelina, now removed. It can just as easily be inserted again. Not to mention that the reference to the Sochi results is still there.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 04-13-2014 at 08:23 PM.

  13. #53

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Perth, ON
    Posts
    473
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2212
    This discussion has been very confusing to read because the first thing I did was read the petition, sign it, and then proceed to read the rest of the comments that have been made since. I kept re-reading the petition looking for the names of skaters but couldn't find any so I'm glad someone mentioned that it had been edited at some point. The comments about Sotnikova, which I haven't seen, sound terrible but I think the controversy surrounding the results is real and the ISU has done their usual thing and just ignored it so I think that it is fair to mention that in this petition.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11600
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingguy View Post
    This discussion has been very confusing to read because the first thing I did was read the petition, sign it, and then proceed to read the rest of the comments that have been made since. I kept re-reading the petition looking for the names of skaters but couldn't find any so I'm glad someone mentioned that it had been edited at some point. The comments about Sotnikova, which I haven't seen, sound terrible but I think the controversy surrounding the results is real and the ISU has done their usual thing and just ignored it so I think that it is fair to mention that in this petition.
    But it would have been better just to say 'questionable judging in Sochi' rather than single out Sotnikova. It makes the petition seem an attack on her, when she bears no responsibility for how she was scored.

  15. #55

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Questionable judging did not take place in Sochi alone. It existed even before Cinquanta took over. The petition needs to be more direct about how he has hurt the sport. Figure skating judging is always going to have some subjectivity, and just because the writer of the petition did not like the results of a certain competition, Cinquanta should not have to resign. I will be happy to see him go but not over the judging in one discipline in Sochi. In addition, it's not like Sotnikova fell all over the place; in many peoples' opinion she deserved that gold (I would have placed her second, but I can live with her winning; she skated very well).

  16. #56

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,681
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16655
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    But it would have been better just to say 'questionable judging in Sochi' rather than single out Sotnikova. It makes the petition seem an attack on her, when she bears no responsibility for how she was scored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Questionable judging did not take place in Sochi alone. It existed even before Cinquanta took over. The petition needs to be more direct about how he has hurt the sport. Figure skating judging is always going to have some subjectivity, and just because the writer of the petition did not like the results of a certain competition, Cinquanta should not have to resign. I will be happy to see him go but not over the judging in one discipline in Sochi. In addition, it's not like Sotnikova fell all over the place; in many peoples' opinion she deserved that gold (I would have placed her second, but I can live with her winning; she skated very well).
    What about questionable judging at worlds 2013 and 2012? (I am talking about Chan winning the worlds) And questionable judging at Skate Canada a few years ago? (Chan winning with so many falls.) Or is it a problem only when the skater the author of the petition likes does not win? Does the author of the petition objects to all questionable judging or just to some questionable judging?

  17. #57

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,911
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2529
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post

    What about questionable judging at worlds 2013 and 2012? (I am talking about Chan winning the worlds) And questionable judging at Skate Canada a few years ago? (Chan winning with so many falls.) Or is it a problem only when the skater the author of the petition likes does not win? Does the author of the petition objects to all questionable judging or just to some questionable judging?
    The authors had a petition about last year's men's result. It went nowhere.

  18. #58

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,195
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    33486
    I'd like to start a petition requesting that Monica Friedlander stop making poitnless figure skating petitions that go nowhere especially when she tries to promote them as if she's got nothing to do with them.

  19. #59

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    I too think that Sotnikova defeated Kim fairly in Sochi and that part of the petition was idiotic, but signed anyway. Cinquanta needs to go.
    Me too.

    By the way, Sotnikova is not named in the petition but the mention of the Sochi Ladies event is petty, as many of us applauded the results of that event. Still, Il Duce must GOOOO!!!! PARTIRE! PARTIRE!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,016
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Me too.

    By the way, Sotnikova is not named in the petition
    She was. The petition was edited.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •