Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Cinquanta will be gone in two years anyway so it's all a bit pointless....
    Hardly. He can still do a lot of damage in two years' time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I will not sign the petition due to the Sotnikova comments. I do not think the Sochi results are figure skating's worst scandal. Nor do I think Kim and Kostner skated flawlessly.

The inclusion of that point ruins the petition.
    while I agree that the Sochi comments were uncalled for, it doesn't ruin the petition for me. I'm not going to refuse to sign a petition to save a forest from destruction just because I don't like one of the species of trees listed to be saved.

Eta: I think it also depends on how you view the intension of the petition. I go to anti war protest because I'm anti war, but I never think for a moment that the government cares about my opinion or is even listening. To me, this is about fans and journalists getting more mileage out of dissent, and maybe it will sour his authority through persistent public disapproval, but I would only get all picky about the Sochi mentions and refuse to sign if I actually thought for a moment that the ISU would take it seriously without that paragraph in it.
    Last edited by berthesghost; 04-12-2014 at 01:28 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    while I agree that the Sochi comments were uncalled for, it doesn't ruin the petition for me. I'm not going to refuse to sign a petition to save a forest from destruction just because I don't like one of the species of trees listed to be saved.
    I don't think this is comparable. To me, this attack on Sotnikova undermines the purpose of the petition, because it is clearly a personal opinion of the writer and not a reflection of Cinquanta at all. And since it is an opinion I strongly disagree with, it ruins the message for me.

vCash
    While I disagreed with the judging at the Sochi Olympics, calling out skaters like this is very unprofessional in this kind of petition, and it loses its power as a petition. It makes it sound extremely subjective when a petition should be as objective as possible. That being said, I signed it. Something needs to be done, and if the fans can do something about it, then so be it (of course unless someone else can make a petition that has better wording than this one).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calica View Post
    Requesting the resignation of Ottavio Cinquanta from the presidency of the International Skating Union

https://www.change.org/petitions/ott...-skating-union
    I did not get a chance to read the petition and the comments posted below it until tonight. While agree that Mr. Cinquanta needs to resign (or not seek reelection), I have to refuse to sign the petition. Although many things in the petition are correct, I strongly disagree with some of the statements in it. One of the comments posted there was "Shame on you Sotnikova". If this petition is being used to slam skaters that are disliked, I don't want to have anything to do with it.

vCash
    The basis for the petition is based on rhetoric and personal perspective which is questionable. Like they have just pulled some things out of their ar$e to try and back up their arguments. And to attack particular skaters is just not acceptable.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I so want to get rid of Speedy, but naming certain skaters and using them as tools is not the right way to do it.

vCash
    I guess the ones behind the petition thought they were clever. Too bad they had to stick that into the petition, otherwise they would have a lot more signatures.
    Some say that in the Autumn all her arms go brown and fall off. And that if she wrote you a letter of condolence she would at least get your name right.

vCash
    If this petition is being used to slam skaters that are disliked, I don't want to have anything to do with it.
    And to attack particular skaters is just not acceptable.
    I completely agree.

vCash
    At any rate, Peter Murray's petition at https://www.change.org/petitions/isu...4-isu-congress has 2,280 signatures at last count. Monica's got 899 in less than a day at https://www.change.org/petitions/ott...-skating-union minus the support of several of you who have commented on this forum. I know personally of dozens of letters sent to member federations, so hey... that's positive, right?

vCash
    But even more people would have signed the petition if not the attack at Sotnikova. This shouldn't be included in the petition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    Hardly. He can still do a lot of damage in two years' time.
    Two years time is more then enough to turn everything upside down, his recent proposal about removing the sp, shows that anything will do as long as he get's to save money, what he doesn't take into considerations is that the ISU will likely lose more money then what they would save, simply because less people would be willing to travel only to see one segment.

vCash
    I will not sign the petition due to the Sotnikova comments. I do not think the Sochi results are figure skating's worst scandal. Nor do I think Kim and Kostner skated flawlessly.

I agree.

I was ready to sign the petition until I read down the bullet points and saw the reference to the Olympic results. For me, it then changed from a genuine attempt to get rid of Cinquanta (which I agree with) to yet another means to bash Sotnikova. Disgusting. I won't be signing.
    Last edited by skatefan; 04-12-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Likewise. I am all for Cinquanta resigning. However, the references to Sotnikova are a complete and utter disgrace. I will not be signing it. The people who compiled this petition should have confined it to Cinquanta, the failings of COP/IJS, and the ludicrous idea of removing the short program. By including the contentious issue of the outcome of the Sochi Ladies competition using emotive language like that, they have lost the sympathy of a lot of people. Hence, the petition is doomed to fail. Somebody should compile another petition which does not make the same mistake.

I agree and won't sign it either.
    If someone wanted the petition succeed, naming skaters in the petition was not very wise move. Now the majority or Russians won't sign it, plus those who honestly believe that Sotnikova should have won...that cost a lot of signatures of those who would agree that Cinquanta should resign.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    At any rate, Peter Murray's petition at https://www.change.org/petitions/isu...4-isu-congress has 2,280 signatures at last count.
    Cinquanta's "proposals" aren't anywhere on the agenda of proposals to be voted on at Congress in Dublin in June. But by all means if people are concerned they should let their concerns be known to the federations to which they belong as a member. If people are mass e-mailing every single member federation of the ISU though, their e-mails are more than likely going to end up in someone's spam folder and ignored.

Monica's got 899 in less than a day at https://www.change.org/petitions/ott...-skating-union minus the support of several of you who have commented on this forum.
    It's mostly angry Yunabombers and North Americans who have a beef about speed skating, and/or figure skating not having the popularity it had in North America in the late 1990s. But guess what? Most countries that are members of the ISU don't have separate federations for speed and figure because doing so wouldn't be sustainable for ice sports in those countries. For example, speed skating is far more popular in countries like the Netherlands and Norway than figure skating is. What is good for the sport in North America cannot be applied necessarily to other countries and to suggest doing so is highly patronising.

Figure skating may have declined in popularity in North America, but over the past decade since IJS has been introduced the sport has become more popular in some countries. Japan for example hosted a very successful World Championships a mere two weeks ago with sell out crowds despite the fact that many Olympic medallists didn't show up. If the changes in the sport have been so bad and the skating/skaters now so awful, why is the sport more popular than ever in places like Japan? Perhaps the anger of those who signed the petition would be better directed at their own federations.

And Monica Friedlander has zero credibility after her stunt last season of writing an article about her own petition.

I know personally of dozens of letters sent to member federations, so hey... that's positive, right?
    No, they are more useless than a chocolate teapot if the reasoning they employed are derived from either of the petitions linked.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    If it's to have Didier Gailhaguet instead, then NO thanks...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Figure skating may have declined in popularity in North America, but over the past decade since IJS has been introduced the sport has become more popular in some countries. Japan for example hosted a very successful World Championships a mere two weeks ago with sell out crowds despite the fact that many Olympic medallists didn't show up. If the changes in the sport have been so bad and the skating/skaters now so awful, why is the sport more popular than ever in places like Japan? Perhaps the anger of those who signed the petition would be better directed at their own federations.
    Could US fans get any angrier at usfs?

I'm still waiting for this geographical shift in popularity to mean something. It's been a decade now. When skating was popular in the US, it funneled $$$$$$$$ into ISU. When it lost its popularity, the ISU lost tons of money, coverage, endorsements, etc... People keep harping about how popular it's become in Asia and Europe for 10 years now, but the ISU is still broke and constantly talking about drastic changes to save a buck or two, like some sort of business on the brink of collapse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    If it's to have Didier Gailhaguet instead, then NO thanks...
    Gailhaguet's certainly not an attractive alternative, IMO. Sadly, I think the alternative could be a double bill of Michelle Kwan and Janet Lynn handing out bags of money and hugging babies... and some people would still find a way of looking at things with the glass half empty. I think its obvious that change in general is needed.

vCash
    I too think that Sotnikova defeated Kim fairly in Sochi and that part of the petition was idiotic, but signed anyway. Cinquanta needs to go.

vCash

Signed it, He needs to go.

I'm also fine with anyone mentioning the Sochi results as a huge negative,
    The more it is brought up the more it's gonna stick
    They brought the rain,
    Now they'll have to deal with the flood

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast