Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford: "We are only beginning to reach our goals"

Meagan and Eric talk to Absolute Skating about their programs, goals for the season, team event, comment a few things from their coach's interview (which was translated here) and more.
    http://www.absoluteskating.com/inter...elradford.html

Their programs from Skate Canada:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFjI_ABaKKU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_uOng8IKMw

vCash
    Two great programs, full of with new elements!

vCash
    They wanted to do short program at the team event. I think Moore-Towers/Moscovitch would be better choice. Team event looks interesting.

vCash
    I think I can understand why they would like to do the short since it is to the music that Eric composed.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I'm just don't think the music for both programs really grab the audience and the judges. Maybe it'll improve as the season progresses.

The LP looks very difficult. I'm surprised they dropped to 3rd after that performance.

vCash
    Both of their programs this season are absolutely incredible. Julie Marcotte has clearly saved her best for them.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I love both of their programs this season too! I wish both of them the best and hope this season brings them a lot of success!! GO MEAGAN & ERIC!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    They wanted to do short program at the team event. I think Moore-Towers/Moscovitch would be better choice. Team event looks interesting.
    I think D/R doing the short and Mt/M doing the long is actually perfect. If clean, D/R > Mt/M based - base value and PCS goes to them easily. And D/R have demonstrated they can be clean in the short program. Mt/M doing the long makes sense to me because even though D/R can outscore them when both are clean, Mt/M have demonstrated that they can go cleaner more consistently and it saves them both from doing two programs twice. Canada can win the pairs portion of the team event if both are clean (note: Volosozhar/Trankov have said they are only doing the short program; Savchenko/Szolkowy have said they are skipping it).

Yeah, both of those programs are incredible, though. I cannot wait to see what they achieve with them.

vCash
    i just love them- but meghan seems very sure its them and not mt-m for the team event..... i wonder if they have already been told they will be the ones?
    excited they are gong to worlds too- i hope they stay eligible for a few more years-

vCash
    Strategically it would be better to have them both compete. Given that the two teams were so close in points last year, I'd be surprised if SC allowed either of them to choose which portion they'd skate. I like D/R for the SP and MT-M for the long. Eric has consistently had some stamina problems with the LP that I think affects their mark - not sure if that's nerves or asthma or something else.

vCash
    Also, if they nail the 3lutzes in the SP, that's quite a considerable point advantage.

vCash
    Bumping this old thread up to post 2 new articles:

Winnipeg Free Press feature article on Radford:
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...258064531.html
    Excerpt from the sidebar:
    World bronze pairs medallists Eric Radford and Meagan Duhamel plan to use lyrics for at least one of their competitive programs next season, although Duhamel is not certain she can adapt to doing a triple twist lift with vocals potentially distracting her focus.
    Radford, a classically trained pianist, believes lyrical music would work best for competition programs with singers such as Josh Groban and Sarah Brightman, as well as opera music with the singer's voice. Things to avoid, he suggests, would be extreme pop music, Top 40 or anything techno.

"As skaters, we are there to impress nine judges and a lot of them come from a different generation than us, so if you're skating to Britney Spears or Lady Gaga, I think they're going to have a hard time relating to what you're trying to do on the ice," he said."But, I do think it will open up a lot of possibilities and a new dynamic for figure skaters... I'm excited to see how many top skaters will use lyrics."
    Sudbury Sports magazine article on Duhamel: http://www.sudburysportsmag.ca/2014/...-business.html
    Excerpt:
    “Eric and I have committed to one more year of skating and competing because we feel we have more to offer and give,” Duhamel said. “I have achieved more than I ever thought I would in my career … (but) there is more to do. We will skate to just satisfy ourselves.
    “Through all the years and hardships, I had this one little beat in my soul I would make the Olympics,” she said. “I knew I would always do it. I always believed I could do it. I don’t know where it came from, but it was in me and it never left me no matter what happened.”

Following the Olympics, Duhamel and Radford were right back in competition at the 2014 world championship, where they defended their bronze medal from 2013. Their season concludes on tour with Stars on Ice from April to May.

They’ll take four weeks off in June, rather than the usual two weeks, before getting back into training and preparing for the Grand Prix circuit in the fall.

“Skating is never-ending,” Duhamel said. “There is nothing else I would rather be doing right now.”
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-07-2014 at 01:14 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    After all the pairs splits in Canada of the last month, I'm sure Skate Canada is even more happy than before that these two are continuing!

vCash
    I'm glad they are coming back for the 14/15 season and look forward to seeing what music they pick out for their new programs!

vCash
    Looking forward to their programs too. Eric is so talented. I love his SP music composition.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Banned Member
    vCash
    I didn't like this team with their first impression but I'm starting to like this team. I like that they're stuck to their guns: they know that they're crap at "art", so they gonna give you all they have technically. The real rebels of figure-skating-- not that dumb fake Ashley Wagner or Trankov.
    Last edited by FileYourBlades; 05-08-2014 at 06:51 AM.

vCash
    Meagan wrote an "Olympic Season Wrap-up" blog on May 27th: http://www.skatetoday.com/duhamel-ra...eason-wrap-up/
    Excerpt:
    AND…. We still haven’t stopped! We’ve just spent the past week and a half creating new competition programs for the upcoming season with our choreographer Julie Marcotte. Eric and I feel like we haven’t reached our potential yet and we want to keep competing and keep pushing ourselves further. We both love what we do and we wouldn’t want to be doing anything else at this point. As long as we are healthy, improving and enjoying ourselves, we will continue to compete. Our goals for the upcoming season are to skate without stress and without worry and allow our skating to breathe and be free. We are also planning a new trick for our long program. It’s been going well and we are excited to show it to everyone once the season starts!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Just love Meagan's attitude! I'll bet she will make a fantastic coach when she retires from competitive skating.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Just love Meagan's attitude! I'll bet she will make a fantastic coach when she retires from competitive skating.
    I think so too. She's a fighter!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Yes a great coach - as long as she can tolerate others not putting in as much effort as she does - I don't think anyone can really match it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast