Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    So would you prefer Trixie Schuba? Her foundation was wide and strong.
    No. But you kind of proved my point. Most everyone points to Schuba as undeserving of beating Janet Lynn under the rules of that era because she was bland and mechanical. When you are an appealing skater, it's harder for people to look beyond pointed toes and exquisite extension to examine the lack of depth in their fundamental skating.

vCash
    Regarding my last post, Sasha wasn't deficient by any means. She just lacked the consistency that comes from developing solid technique in her edges and some of her jumps. But her other qualities were wonderful and should not be disregarded.

vCash
    I dont think most believe Schuba is undeserving of her titles. All those who understand the rules know why she won and her wins arent controversial. They just frusterate the heck out of people, that is all. Schuba should be respected greatly though, and I think is in her own way. The sport is called figure skating, and she is probably the best ever at the foundation of what the sport is. She was born in the right time of course, and would be insignificant today.

vCash
    Sasha cant be compared to Chan. She doesnt have the godly skating skills, the huge and beautiful jumps, the amazing footwork, or the complex choreography and transitions he does. He even surpasses her in her strengths- spins, elegance, lines, performance skills. So it makes sense he has a 5 falls cushion on his competitors, while she doesnt have any fall cushion on Kwan, Slutskaya, Arakawa, or Suguri.

vCash
    What's so special about Patrick's lines?

vCash
    His back line is unbelievable, he never slouches for a moment (Hanyu bad-posture please take note). His back is imo the best in the world.

The rest of his lines are nice but not incredible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmercer View Post
    IJS has meant quality can overcome mistakes more easily. Patrick Chan is the best example of this, winning many events with tons of falls and mistakes over clean(er) performances. Why was this not for Sasha too. Shouldnt the quality of her landed jumps, superior spins, superior spirals, and superior basic skating and artistry overcome her mistakes and won her titles over clean(er) performances by her rivals like it did for him. This never happened though. What is the difference.
    Basic skating skills, transitions. Chan was/is in a different league compared to Sasha.

vCash
    Chan probably shouldn't have the advantage that he has had but his blade work is to die for. I love to watch him move on the ice. He has powerful jumps because he has killer on ice and air technique so even when he falls or falters it's usually just one portion of the jump that has deduction.

Sasha is not the same type of skater as Chan. She is a wonderful skater with flexibility, line and skating that is very distinct though. I also think she had nice looking jumps in the air. She used what she could do with grace and originality but her blade work wasn't great. It's hard to ever see that though since she moved well and beautifully. She found ways to make foot work and moves in the field look good and have difficulty. And she improved a lot over the years so you can see she worked hard no matter that people liked to accuse differently.

vCash
    To see her improvement, compare her 2002 LP to her 2006 one and one can see a marked difference. To me, the level of actual skating skills improved greatly. She still wasn't in the same league as Kwan, Arakawa, Suguri, and Slutskaya in that respect, but she closed the gap a bit and brought those other things that people loved. I think you can even see the difference between 2003 through 2004 and 2006.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Patrick also doesnt deserve the 5 fall or so margin he is given by judges, and some of his wins are a huge controversy and semi farce. I agree Sasha's basic skating improved alot after 2002, but never to the point it was as good as her main rivals, let alone much better than anyone else like Chan is. Had Sasha Chan's skating skills she would atleast have a 2 fall margin over Kwan, Slutskaya, and the rest, and it would be deserved, and that is all he deserves as well but is so loved for whatever reason he is given more. Maybe some big paycheques behind the scenes from Skate Canada, who knows.

Sasha also improved her choreography, transitions, and musical interpretation alot after 2002. Before 2002 she just had great spins, spirals, and nice positions, but not much else. Bare empty choreography and not much musicality. Her Carmen in 2002 shows this.

vCash
    Patrick Chan never really had a "5 fall cushion" over other skaters though, did he? If he actually won a competition with a total 5 falls between the SP and LP, that was probably due to the closest competitor having like 3 falls or a fall and a few pops or something that was also pretty costly.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Patrick Chan never really had a "5 fall cushion" over other skaters though, did he? If he actually won a competition with a total 5 falls between the SP and LP, that was probably due to the closest competitor having like 3 falls or a fall and a few pops or something that was also pretty costly.
    Well I remember him having 4 falls and winning Skate Canada easily over a 1 fall Oda once, and that is when Oda was one of the very top in the world, maybe 2nd to Chan.

At Russia later that year he had the equivalent of 7 falls of mistakes counting the falls, a downgrade call on his quad, zayaking, and still nearly beat a totally clean Verner.

I basically stopped counting after that as I was too disgusted to study the protocals of any event Chan was in, erred, and still won in, but his cushion at one point anyway was probably atleast 5 falls. He won the 2011-2012 grand prix final and 2012 worlds with a ton of mistakes too, although it probably wasnt 5 falls worth. Worlds last year was a disaester, 4 huge mistakes in the long and still winning over Ten who had 2 clean and beautiful skates.

Even the Games he had 5 mistakes over the 2 programs, even if none was an outright fall. Hanyu had only 2 and a higher planned base value in the LP by 8 points, and Hanyu still barely won.

He deserves a fall cushion over his competitors more than anyone else, certainly more than Sasha ever would. Sasha is a beautiful and great skater when she is on, but I can still understand given the shortcoming of her skating how she could even possibly skate clean and lose to Slutskaya, Arakawa, or Kwan if they are spectacular. However I still find it too much.
    Last edited by butyrskafanatic; 04-14-2014 at 01:55 AM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Sasha had the position levels. Chan had the skating skills. What Chan had was more easily rewarded, although that might seem counterintuitive.

vCash
    Chan (for most of his career) had the quad and quad/triple combo (excellent ones). Sure, a couple of skaters did the quad sal but it was very rarely landed. Cohen did not have anything close to a consistent 3/3 while a direct competitors did have it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by butyrskafanatic View Post
    I dont think most believe Schuba is undeserving of her titles. All those who understand the rules know why she won and her wins arent controversial. They just frusterate the heck out of people, that is all. Schuba should be respected greatly though, and I think is in her own way. The sport is called figure skating, and she is probably the best ever at the foundation of what the sport is. She was born in the right time of course, and would be insignificant today.
    ITA. She was a great figures skater, from what I have heard. Those days the rules were different and there is no reason to devalue the titles she won fair and square.

BTW it's 'frustrate' (not 'frusterate')

vCash
    Well I remember him having 4 falls and winning Skate Canada easily over a 1 fall Oda once, and that is when Oda was one of the very top in the world, maybe 2nd to Chan.

At Russia later that year he had the equivalent of 7 falls of mistakes counting the falls, a downgrade call on his quad, zayaking, and still nearly beat a totally clean Verner.

I basically stopped counting after that as I was too disgusted to study the protocals of any event Chan was in, erred, and still won in, but his cushion at one point anyway was probably atleast 5 falls.
    I don't know why, but this post made me laugh I agree about Chan's cushion, which was ridiculous at times and even beat Yagudin's "2 falls" cushion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    Let's be fair here.

By no means were Sasha's skating skills deficient, they just weren't up to Chan's (in the context of this post).

Her edges and speed *did* improve over time, and she never lost her flexibility (though I wonder if strength was sacrificed for that).

Remember, Sasha competed at a time when programs were jam-packed (there's one less spin and spiral sequence today). She could've taken Slutskaya's route or Arakawa's route and racked up points with the same move (Biellman and reverse layover donut spin, respectively), but instead offered a variety of beautiful and difficult spin positions. And of course her spiral was spectacular, even if it didn't perhaps have Kwan's edges. So I think she deserves some credit for her style, choreography and interpretation.

Yes, she was known for her SashaSplat, but rarely did she pop a jump. She went for it.
    Dad'
    As for Arakawa, her spirals at the Olympics are one of the most impressive things I've seen on ice ... ever.
    Her spiral was so undeniable, so perfect and magical in all respects except the strength as reflected in the ice coverage. Slutskaya got amazing speed holding a spiral from start to finish, and Sasha did not. It's one of the trade offs with strength vs flexibility.

vCash

I basically stopped counting after that as I was too disgusted to study the protocals of any event Chan was in, erred, and still won in, but his cushion at one point anyway was probably atleast 5 falls. He won the 2011-2012 grand prix final and 2012 worlds with a ton of mistakes too, although it probably wasnt 5 falls worth. Worlds last year was a disaester, 4 huge mistakes in the long and still winning over Ten who had 2 clean and beautiful skates.

Even the Games he had 5 mistakes over the 2 programs, even if none was an outright fall. Hanyu had only 2 and a higher planned base value in the LP by 8 points, and Hanyu still barely won.

He deserves a fall cushion over his competitors more than anyone else, certainly more than Sasha ever would. Sasha is a beautiful and great skater when she is on, but I can still understand given the shortcoming of her skating how she could even possibly skate clean and lose to Slutskaya, Arakawa, or Kwan if they are spectacular. However I still find it too much.
    Until last year Chan actually had a 4 falls cushion. Earlier he had beaten a no-fall Ten, no-fall (but a few flaws) Takahashi. It was only after a real challenger with potential appeared (Hanyu), the judges started being tougher on Chan. His basic skills are outstanding, and he easily deserves a one fall cushion, but no longer a fall and multiple bobbles type cushion.

Sasha had beautiful lines and positions, but to me, the most important thing is how the blade moves across the ice. Her skating skills, though vastly improved, were never top notch like Chan's. She had to skate clean, to beat a clean Kwan or a clean Slutskaya who had better skating skills.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmercer View Post
    IJS has meant quality can overcome mistakes more easily. Patrick Chan is the best example of this, winning many events with tons of falls and mistakes over clean(er) performances. Why was this not for Sasha too. Shouldnt the quality of her landed jumps, superior spins, superior spirals, and superior basic skating and artistry overcome her mistakes and won her titles over clean(er) performances by her rivals like it did for him. This never happened though. What is the difference.
    Winning Olympic silver with 2 falls, over skaters who skated clean? It was in the earlier days of IJS, but Cohen did have her fair share of favoritism and a pretty comfortable PCS cushion. And that's when she didn't even come close to Chan's skating skills or technical content. I also found her overrated.
    Last edited by shine; 04-15-2014 at 06:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Her spiral was so undeniable, so perfect and magical in all respects except the strength as reflected in the ice coverage. Slutskaya got amazing speed holding a spiral from start to finish, and Sasha did not. It's one of the trade offs with strength vs flexibility.
    Or you can find a great balance in both. Look at Michelle Kwan and Shizuka Arakawa.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast