vCash

What skills are expected from a good choreographer?

In another thread there has been a discussion about choregoraphy of Linichuk, Krylova and some other people. What skills and talents do you think a great choreographer should have?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coraczek View Post
    In another thread there has been a discussion about choregoraphy of Linichuk, Krylova and some other people. What skills and talents do you think a great choreographer should have?
    I want to read that thread.

For single skaters, every choreographer should try to fit step sequence in the choreography. Like Kostner and Asada

I know I'm not realistic but for ice dance I want to see from choreographers:
    1. Be creative. I don't like same old, same old ideas or programs. (Zoueva)
    2. Listen to music. I hate step sequences don't fit the music or choreography. (Everyone)
    3. Don't use so much steps, movements. Adding all the moves or rushing doesn't mean its good choreography. (Kustarova-Zhulin)
    4. Don't use so much hopping/jumping or small lifts or crossovers (Shpilband)
    5. Every year please change lifts.

vCash
    I want to read that thread.
    It;s not a thread about choreography, but about 1994 Olympics and its results. But some issues about choreography are mentioned there.

I know I'm not realistic but for ice dance I want to see from choreographers:

Be creative. I don't like same old, same old ideas or programs. (Zoueva)
    Listen to music. I hate step sequences don't fit the music or choreography. (Everyone)
    Don't use so much steps, movements. Adding all the moves or rushing doesn't mean its good choreography. (Kustarova-Zhulin)
    Don't use so much hopping/jumping or small lifts or crossovers (Shpilband)
    Every year please change lifts.
    Creativity, imagination are definitely needed. But don't you think that choreographer should also have the analytical mind, especially in the COP era?
    Be creative. I don't like same old, same old ideas or programs. (Zoueva)
    Whatever we think about Zueva, the programmes she choreographed were very successful.

vCash
    I hated Platov's unattractive acrobatic choreography with Coomes & Buckland this season. It looked awkward and wasn't dancing as such. They are an unattractive team in general though.

vCash

Whatever we think about Zueva, the programmes she choreographed were very successful.
    Her skaters are very successful. I liked Bollywood OD and Carmen FD from her but she got help for those programs and it showed a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    I hated Platov's unattractive acrobatic choreography with Coomes & Buckland this season. It looked awkward and wasn't dancing as such. They are an unattractive team in general though.
    Maybe I should add one more thing.

6.Please use difficult dance holds, instead of side by side skating.
    Last edited by elif; 04-22-2014 at 04:36 PM.

vCash
    Is Platov not just their coach, but also a choreographer?

I didn't like their SD, but I found their FD quite appealing. Taking into account the difference in their height, it's not surprising thay want to show some edge in lifts over other teams. But probably not everybody likes those lifts

vCash
    I'm not sure if Platov does choreography. When he worked with Zhulin to help out with Navka & Kostomarov, Zhulin said that Platov worked with them as a technician while he handled their choreography. If that's true, that might explain their improvement (technically) after 2004.

vCash

I didn't like their SD, but I found their FD quite appealing. Taking into account the difference in their height, it's not surprising thay want to show some edge in lifts over other teams. But probably not everybody likes those lifts
    I liked too. Especially considering Shiutanis's attempt of same music, Coomes and Buckland looked very good.

vCash
    I'm not sure if Platov does choreography. When he worked with Zhulin to help out with Navka & Kostomarov, Zhulin said that Platov worked with them as a technician while he handled their choreography.
    I have also read it somewhere, that's why I was wondering if Platov choreograps for C/B.

vCash
    He may or may not. If he does, it may not be his strength.

vCash
    I have also read it somewhere, that's why I was wondering if Platov choreograps for C/B.
    Platov only listed as coach in ISU.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00009083.htm

Coach: Evgeni Platov, Philip Askew
    Choreographer: Philip Askew, Zhanna Palagina

vCash
    Platov only listed as coach in ISU.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00009083.htm

Coach: Evgeni Platov, Philip Askew
    Choreographer: Philip Askew, Zhanna Palagina
    Thank you

vCash
    Ice Dance is in a real pickle because it's hard to achieve level 4 sequences, and there are certain dance holds and steps that have proven to be successful in achieving a level 4. So teams' step sequences look very similarly to me.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I like Linichuks choreography...
    African drums, Carmen, Waltz Mascarade - all for Krylova&Ovssianikov.

I even liked what she did her first season with Belbin & Agosto and Domnina&Shabalin.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    What skills and talents do you think a great choreographer should have?
    Clever packaging: Music, Choreography, Outfit, Hair, Makeup, etc. It should all be part of an overriding theme.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    Clever packaging: Music, Choreography, Outfit, Hair, Makeup, etc. It should all be part of an overriding theme.
    Yes, although I would add that the most important objective for a choreographer is to use the music and the elements of a program in a way that does the best job of bringing out the particular strengths of the skater or skating team.

vCash
    Ahh, Platov mentioned so many times in interviews about what great lifts Coomes & Buckland were doing and how they wanted "to fly" that I thought he was encouraging their acrobatics on ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    Ahh, Platov mentioned so many times in interviews about what great lifts Coomes & Buckland were doing and how they wanted "to fly" that I thought he was encouraging their acrobatics on ice.
    Maybe he did encourage, just didn't choreographed them. He knows C&B's strenghts and weaknesess very well.