Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marysy View Post
    do any of the men besides Evan have major sponsors? Even Johnny, with his various TV stints, had a donation website to fund his training costs for his comeback.
    Max Aaron is sponsored by Liberty Mutual, which is a big company. However, IIRC, it isn't a huge sponsorship; however, I might be thinking of something else. But I think they only use him in skating targeted campaign. It's not like he's on TV commercials Michelle Kwan style.
    http://team-usa.libertymutual.com/ou...etes/max-aaron

vCash
    I am really looking forward to Jeremy continuing. I would love to see him in the GP circuit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sus2850 View Post
    I am really looking forward to Jeremy continuing. I would love to see him in the GP circuit.
    I am with you. If Jeremy still has the motivation and is healthy he should continue. He is still the US Men's #1 and it's not like the other US Men can beat him when he skates well.

Whatever he decides there is no one quite like him and I have enjoyed his skating for years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Oh dear.

Another rinse-and-repeat from Abbott is just plain depressing. Blech.
    ITA. I was so looking forward to an Abbott-free skating season.

What an ego. He has so much to offer the world of skating. I think the real reason is that he doesn't know what else to do with himself and is afraid to move on. It isn't an uncommon thing. I've known people who went to graduate school mostly because the prospect of leaving school and getting a real job was too overwhelming. It means starting a life that is completely different from what your life has been since age 5. I would guess there are similar emotional issues for skaters.

IMO Abbott is fortunate to have skated as long as he has without serious repetitive stress injuries. He should walk away while he still can.
    Last edited by Susan M; 04-09-2014 at 03:41 PM.

vCash
    All this angst and from some about just the possibility that Jeremy might consider competing next season. I think that there are pretty good odds that those who are "depressed" and dismayed that Jeremy might set foot on competitive ice again will have been for nothing. If that means there are no more threads talking about how much they wish he will just go away, then I will be very happy. It's his decision to make and i wish him well, whatever he chooses to do. After the glow of his wonderful FS in Saitama fades, the prospect of training for another competitive season may seem like more than he wants to undergo.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    It seems to me Jeremy is delusional. It is time to say good bye.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    All this angst and from some about just the possibility that Jeremy might consider competing next season. I think that there are pretty good odds that those who are "depressed" and dismayed that Jeremy might set foot on competitive ice again will have been for nothing. If that means there are no more threads talking about how much they wish he will just go away, then I will be very happy. It's his decision to make and i wish him well, whatever he chooses to do. After the glow of his wonderful FS in Saitama fades, the prospect of training for another competitive season may seem like more than he wants to undergo.

I hope you are right. I definitely would not be looking forward to another season of Jeremy's whining and under achievements.

vCash
    As a fan I would welcome Abbott back, if that is his choice. And if he manages to medal at the Nationals or even win (as he did in this year), he has earned his slot at the 2015 Worlds. It is the younger skaters´ turn to prevent him from medalling at the Nationals and if they fail to do it, Abbott gets his Worlds slot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    This.

However, if he feels like competing more, all the power to him. I still find him more enjoyable to watch than any other US skater (with the exception of Jason Brown's performance at the US nationals).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    As a fan I would welcome Abbott back, if that is his choice. And if he manages to medal at the Nationals or even win (as he did in this year), he has earned his slot at the 2015 Worlds. It is the younger skaters´ turn to prevent him from medalling at the Nationals and if they fail to do it, Abbott gets his Worlds slot.
    Exactly. Too bad for those who cannot stand him and wish that he would go away. Only Jeremy knows when it's time to say good bye.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I think a lot of people's fear with Abbott continuing is that judges will prop him up over some of the US's newer skaters and deny them the oppourtunity to compete on the big level. I don't think that's the case anymore...with the emergence of skaters like Jason Brown and the like, there's a lot more internal competition. I think Jeremy will find it a lot more difficult to make it onto major teams or get the kind of scores he's used to if he can't keep it together.

Ultimately though, if Jeremy CAN go out and deliver a season of clean performances, why would that ever be a bad thing?
    Jeremy has missed 2 of last 4 world teams. Clearly he will not be propped up if he doesnt skate well at Nationals. If he skates well at Nationals he deserves to make any world team with the level the other men are currently at.

vCash
    I don't understand this outrage. When was the last time that Jeremy Abbott received a "gift" from the judges, domestic or international? It's not like he's ever been the "chosen one" in any ones' book.

vCash
    Jeremy never got the Ashley favored treatment. He might have been a tad favored at 2009 Nationals. That was the last time. If the younger guys can't beat a 29 year old.......

vCash
    I believe it is up to Jeremy to make up his own mind, if he wants to compete again next year, more power to him.

That said, I think some of this IS related to him having no "Plan B" or doubting plan B whatever it was. Personally, I think he would serve himself better training to become a choreographer because he has definitive talent there.

And I think his biggest limitation is simple. No matter how artistic he is, if he doesn't land his quad consistently (and get over his competition nerves surrounding that one jump), he won't be competitive on the international stage, period. He might do well at Nationals, make a World team, but then it will be same old, same old off the podium finishes. That is the big "if" for Jeremy. If he is going to keep having the same nerve issues, the same quad jump misses, coming back will not really be a fruitful plan for him.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Exactly. Too bad for those who cannot stand him and wish that he would go away. Only Jeremy knows when it's time to say good bye.
    Yes, it basically shows that the fans of US Skaters that can't compete with Jeremy are panicking.
    I like Jason but it was close to humiliating sending a skater to the Olympics who not only has no quad but can't even land a 3A. Max is a prospect as well and if they ever bring back barrel jumping Max is your man.

I hope Jeremy skates this season and if the younger American BOYS can beat him at Natls I say good for them.
    Of course Natls means crap anymore if your competitor has more sponsors.

I remember when skating used to try and at least pretend it was a sport.
    Now it is up to the sponsors and the "committee." boo, boo, boo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Max Aaron is sponsored by Liberty Mutual, which is a big company. However, IIRC, it isn't a huge sponsorship; however, I might be thinking of something else. But I think they only use him in skating targeted campaign. It's not like he's on TV commercials Michelle Kwan style.
    http://team-usa.libertymutual.com/ou...etes/max-aaron
    Max also has a marketable story that doesn't depend on competitive success (the "comeback" from the back injury) ... I don't think that Jeremy has a similar one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    YOf course Natls means crap anymore if your competitor has more sponsors.

I remember when skating used to try and at least pretend it was a sport.
    Now it is up to the sponsors and the "committee." boo, boo, boo
    You are never going to get over this, are you???? Good grief, give it a rest already, it's over. And I'm sure if it would happen in the favor of one of your favorites in the future, you won't be bitching about it.

And no matter how many fans Jeremy has, he needs a consistent quad to place on the podium internationally. And yes, I know no current US man has a totally consistent one, but I can really see Jason and Joshua among others getting the jumps together and not having the same kind of nerve issues that Jeremy has. Jeremy is a beautiful skater; however, I totally understand why some fans are frustrated with him and would prefer he call it a day. And if it was close to "humiliating" to send Jason without a quad, what does it say about sending Jeremy who can never LAND the damn thing (save once at Worlds this year) when it counts on the international stage???? You are defeating your own argument.
    Last edited by Yazmeen; 04-09-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    You are never going to get over this, are you???? Good grief!!!!!
    Apparently you can't get over me not getting over it either.
    Sorry, I am not like the many of you who have the "housewife" mentality when it comes to sports. boo,boo

I like competition - why don't you?

vCash
    I can't get excited about the prospect of Jeremy Abbott continuing as an amateur. He's had ample opportunity to prove himself internationally, and, except for some isolated successes on the Grand Prix circuit, has failed to do so. At 29, what are the odds of his breaking through now? I am also among those who find his excuse-making and whining quite annoying.

If he does return, I hope USFS and the USOC will increase their support of promising male skaters like Aaron, Brown, Dornbush and Farris, rather than funding Abbott. If he wants to continue his amateur career, he should do so at this own expense, or with private support.

vCash
    You know what? Why not try one more year? Whoever said with a few clean performances his PCS will rise to where it "should" be is correct. He has lost international PCS due to his international inconsistency. He is such a wonderful performer, if his health can hack the quads another year and he can get them landed... (OK big ifs, but still) who knows what could happen. My nerves (for one) can take one more year!

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast