Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    You go to know when to hold 'em....know when to fold 'em....know when to walk away....and know when to run........
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    I guess it's more profitable to be a single skater than a pairs or dance team because the teams have to split the money in half.
    But pairs and dance prize money is higher than singles; just not double. And pairs and dance can share some costs (coaching, choreography, etc)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    You go to know when to hold 'em....know when to fold 'em....know when to walk away....and know when to run........
    This post is the highlight of this thread .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Good point, do skaters stay because they don't have another good thing to transition to or is it because they love it so much?
    I tend to think there's also some element of fear of the unknown at play, not just for skaters who stay in the competitive ranks but also for many people who don't leave jobs when they should, etc...it's always easier to stay with the status quo rather than make a big change.

As for the sponsorship issue, I wonder if what Jeremy means is that he doesn't have major corporate sponsors, since I'd be surprised if he didn't have some personal/smaller sponsors. I do think gender (and the perception among the American public that skating is a female sport) is a major issue though - do any of the men besides Evan have major sponsors? Even Johnny, with his various TV stints, had a donation website to fund his training costs for his comeback.

As far as Jeremy continuing, it doesn't sound like he's aiming for another 4 years, but if he wanted to continue one more season and thinks his physical, mental, and financial resources are sufficient, I don't see why he shouldn't give it a go.
    Last edited by marysy; 04-09-2014 at 03:54 AM.

vCash
    With 3 spots for Worlds available, why not at least one more year? Ryan Bradley stuck around one more year than initally planned. With 3 spots available for 2011 Worlds, Bradley ended up winning the national championship.

vCash
    I think he should end his career on a high note. I don't think he'll ever be on the world podium, if that's his goal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    I don't think men's skaters have anywhere near the sponsor support of the ladies skaters- at least in the US. It's a cultural issue.
    Of course suffering from "foot in mouth" disease is also unpopular with sponsors. His statements tend to be cringe worthy sometimes and the Olympics out burst was really bad.

vCash
    omg, is this some kind of April fools joke extended by a week?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marysy View Post
    I tend to think there's also some element of fear of the unknown at play, ... ...it's always easier to stay with the status quo rather than make a big change.
    Also, many skaters have been practically full time competitive since they were fairly young, as juniors if not as seniors, ... so, I would think that finding a new career for a skater would seem even more unknown (and frightening) than it would be for someone who lived a more "normal" lifestyle. I agree that the USFS (and other federations) should do something to help competitive skaters with the transition.

Quadless
    vCash
    Why would they, though? The USFSA's mission is to promote the sport of figure skating, not help people leave it.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    why should Jeremy want to find a regular job or want to stop skating?? Internationally he is a middle of the pack skater, but in his mind, he is a global top tier skater because some creepy Japanese fan club women create horrible drawings of him and send him trinkets in the mail. I think that Jeremy has never had to be an adult and has been living in some kind of dream world... it's time to man up , look at the reality of things and get a job - even if he is skating on a cruise ship somewhere off the coast of Haiti..

vCash
    Leave Jeremy alone !

He can do whatever he wants, I don't understand the hate at all. If he earns it, nobody will be able to deny him worlds spots. There's no point saying he would take away opportunities away from the younger one, specially when USA won 3 spots both for 2011 & 2015 worlds thanks to him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    But pairs and dance prize money is higher than singles; just not double. And pairs and dance can share some costs (coaching, choreography, etc)
    But when the sum is split in half it ends up being less than what a single skater gets from what I can tell from the ISU prize money pay scale.

vCash
    2014 Worlds was a perfect ending to his great career. 4 times National Champion, GPF champion, 4CC medalist. That's pretty much all he can hope for. If he didn't get sponsors when he was reigning National Champion and finished 5th at Worlds in the Olympic year 4 years ago, he isn't going to get them 4 years later when he didn't do much else noteworthy internationally in between those 4 years or at these Olympics. Domestically, I see Brown and Farris surpassing him really soon anyway. And he can't beat Aaron's consistency. I think it's most likely going to be another heartbreak if he stays in for another year and finds himself not making Worlds again.

He is too talented to turn into another Fumie Suguri.

Perhaps he could coach and choreograph his way through another season or two if he enjoys skating so much - it's his call, but I do think his peak years are over as a competitive skater. He strikes me as someone who enjoys shows more than competitions anyway. At least shows do not give him the puke face. He definitely can do that for a few years. Japan loves him.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    But when the sum is split in half it ends up being less than what a single skater gets from what I can tell from the ISU prize money pay scale.
    It is true that the prize money split in half is less than for singles, and there are expenses that are per person, like boots, blades, costumes, hair, make-up, dance classes, PT, etc. plus living expenses. However, the coach's rate/hour is for both skaters, and the coach's lost time and travel expenses while at competitions, ice time, and choreography is split between two people, too, and those tend to be the bulk of the budget.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Obviously, it's up to him when he decides he wants to quit. It will be hard to top skating so well in front of a home crowd though.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I had the honor of seeing Jeremy skate in person at the 2014 World Championships. His free program was one of the highlights of the event.

However, there were a lot of new and very talented skaters at the event, particularly from Europe and the east, who could potentially make the path to the podium a lot harder for him if he does decide to stay in.

The real question for me is, will Max Aaron continue. He really looked like he was going through the motions in Saitama.
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 04-09-2014 at 10:28 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    The real question for me is, will Max Aaron continue. He really looked like he was going through the motions in Saitama.
    No, he looked desperate in Saitama. He wanted it too much and tried too hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post

However, there were a lot of new and very talented skaters at the event, particularly from Europe and the east, who could potentially make the path to the podium a lot harder for him if he does decide to stay in.
    Exactly.

That's what makes it difficult for any US singles skater to be on the podium at Worlds. Lots of international competition.

There's also plenty of competition at home in the US.

You know it's got to be hard for Jeremy to walk away from 1) top tier US funding, 2) being seeded on the GP, 3) the chance to keep improving. (got personal bests this season)

i do think he'll end up retiring. I think Yuka is pretty smart and will influence his decision.

vCash
    I love Jeremy's skating, but really. I'm at a point I can hardly watch him in competition since it's always disappointement, and I can't enjoy his skating when I know his comments will be very bizarre after !
    Anyway, who could have imagined Carolina Kostner would have such a fantastic quad ?
    Good luck to Jeremy, whatever he will decide.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast