Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    Sasha said quite a long time ago that she is interested in finance and finds it fascinating. On the higher levels it is indeed fascinating. She clearly understands that the earning power of an aging (we all get a year older every year) elite skater is a rather steep downhill ride especially as the opportunities are shrinking. She is getting a fine education to move on to a second career that can support her life going forward. Very smart of her but not every skater's choice.

Even the largest and highest earning names in skating - Kwan, Boitano, Hamilton - have found second careers or business extensions of their first careers to keep life interesting and earning power up.

Most elite skaters need an Act II. Some have the talent and ability to stay in sport (coaching, choreography, etc.); others move on to new interests taking their discipline and determination with them. Making the transition from highly visible star athlete to something far less public with far less applause is a big challenge.
    I watched a recent interview with Cohen (I guess it's probably about a year old), where she mentioned that she'd kept checking out finance text books and books on tape from the library and then realized that she was more interested in reading them (and/or kept inventing errands to drive around and listen to them) than her other activities. Which she took as a clue that she was ready for the collegiate phase to begin.

vCash
    I do think he still has a lot to give to the sport...creatively. Jeremy would be a fine choreographer, and I could see him doing very well with that. I'll be happy to see him if he does decide to continue competing, but I think his best days for that are behind him.

vCash
    I hope Jeremy stays just to piss you all off. (and even better if he keeps us from having to watch Max at Worlds again )

A team of Josh, Jason, Jeremy would be the 3 Js. Hopefully Josh stays healthy and Jason doesn't discover his rebellious side.

vCash
    Jeremy (for all intents and purposes) got the Men's team 3 spots at Worlds. He had his first season ever where he did better at Worlds than on the GP. He's said in interview after interview how much he loves competition. With a good season, his PCS would come up. He's almost 29 and got several personal bests this season.

I still think he'll retire because of his injuries.

But a 3 J team would sure be beautiful to watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    He has four National titles, no international success and yet he wonders why he doesn't have sponsors?
    Ashley and Gracie have less titles/international success and have been around a shorter time than Jeremy and they both have sponsors. I don't think it's unreasonable for Jeremy to have some sponsorship...it's just unfair he's not an ice princess.

As for jobs/income, I wouldn't be surprised if he does some coaching or choreographing in Detroit. Many skaters do, whether it's talked about or not. Assuming he's invited to them, he should do more shows in Asia - I'm sure those tours pay much better than SOI in the US, not to mention he has tons of Japanese fans.

vCash
    I think he would be foolish - his injuries have been building up all these years, he's not a spring chicken anymore. I don't want to see any more Plushys, driving themselves to breaking point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marysy View Post
    Ashley and Gracie have less titles/international success and have been around a shorter time than Jeremy and they both have sponsors. I don't think it's unreasonable for Jeremy to have some sponsorship...it's just unfair he's not an ice princess.
    it was unclear from the article, but has he never had sponsors, or has he lost the ones he had.

Putting oneself in the shoes of a sponsor, you have $x to give, do you give it to the young lady with all the buzz just starting her career (Gracie), or do you give it to the guy who's been on the circuit for years and just can't seem to pull it off.

vCash
    There are skaters I truly enjoy watching skate who I hate watching compete. Abbott hits that group, but if he wants to stay in good for him, I have no problem with it.

That said, he can get a job. Ashley sold jeans, Marai was teaching "learn to skate", Amanda Evora was a hostess at a restaurant. etc... Heck, lots of skater go to school which is basically a job. In a way I think it might be good for him to have something to dwell on besides skating. Maybe it's what he needs?

But I wonder if he is prepared for a "Flatt" like Nationals?

vCash
    [QUOTE=marysy;4234693]Ashley and Gracie have less titles/international success and have been around a shorter time than Jeremy and they both have sponsors. I don't think it's unreasonable for Jeremy to have some sponsorship...it's just unfair he's not an ice princess.

No, it's just that no sponsors currently view helping to fund Jeremy's career as a good use of their money. Nothing keeps you from being a sponsor, marysy...you could send him some money, for example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    No, it's just that no sponsors currently view helping to fund Jeremy's career as a good use of their money. Nothing keeps you from being a sponsor, marysy...you could send him some money, for example.
    this is why I was wondering if it's now or never. 2009 Jeremy is someone I could see getting sponsorship $$ easily.
    Last edited by berthesghost; 04-09-2014 at 12:20 AM.

vCash
    I don't think men's skaters have anywhere near the sponsor support of the ladies skaters- at least in the US. It's a cultural issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I guess it's more profitable to be a single skater than a pairs or dance team because the teams have to split the money in half.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marysy View Post
    it's just unfair he's not an ice princess.
    This definitely has something to do with his lack of sponsorship. The general public doesn't have a lot of respect for male figure skaters- so they need to have an amazing accomplishment (Olympic Gold, pretty much) for people to want them to shill their products.

But lots of men find small sponsors, and small sponsors add up.

I'm shocked he doesn't even have a boot company sponsorship though. I kind of thought ALL elite skaters weren't paying for their boots... so I wonder if Jeremy does have some sponsors, just not big ones/.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I think what he still has to offer to the sport is his choreographic skill and his performance ability. The current crop of judges aren't giving him much credit for the qualities he brings, and I don't see that changing. If I ran shows, I would never leave him out.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    . The current crop of judges aren't giving him much credit for the qualities he brings, and I don't see that changing. If I ran shows, I would never leave him out.
    The current judging gives PCS based on reputation. Jeremy's PCS will improve on the GP - if he does well. He'd be going in as a seeded skater. It makes a difference.

Last season he had no momentum going in- he wasn't at 4CC or Worlds, and his ranking was low.

Still not likely to be top 3 at Worlds though, unless there are multiple melt downs.

Maybe his goal is just to show he's a game competitor? Maybe it's to improve his season's best again. Maybe it's to have a great skate again in Japan and score some show invites?

vCash
    I wouldn't write off Jeremy as a skater. If he feels like competing, it's his decision. If he competes at the US nationals and beats his competitors he will have more than earned his spot. If he cannot be competitive, it will show. If money is an issue, may be he can find a way to get sponsors or have a second 'job'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The post-Olympic mind-changing is in full force, as always.
    It sure is. I called it. It is sad to see how most skaters are terrified to move onto their next stage in life. They always rationalize their decision to postpone retirement either two ways. A) "I skated so poorly at my last competition that I can't possibly leave the sport on a low note." Or B) "I skated so well at my last competition that how could I possibly leave now? Imagine how much better I will be next year." It's sad to see excuses either way. Maybe it's time for the USFS and other federations to start offering support for their athletes needing guidance in moving on to the next phase of their life.

vCash
    How old was Todd when he won his last National Championship? Wasn't he 30 or 31? (of course that was a different era)

Title-less
    vCash
    Good point, do skaters stay because they don't have another good thing to transition to or is it because they love it so much?

Tough question, not for me to decide.

That said, I hope skaters don't stay around hoping for the next big win and then they find themselves severely injured by mid 30s

vCash
    This will not end well...

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast