Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Jason's enthusiasm - whether on or off the ice - is simply contagious. And that is good for skating.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    And while NBC gave Jason Brown a nice boost of publicity at the Olympics, it's not as if it gave him some sort of special influence over the USFS. He still spent Worlds at home and the USFS did not reconsider the decision to send Jeremy and Max instead.
    Exactly.

This "Jason is privileged" talk because he got on Arsenio... Who? is ridiculous to me. Skaters go on talk shows all the time. Some are going on the Today show or Leno or Letterman. Jason went on a show many people don't even know is on the air. And suddenly he's a privileged athlete with media connections the other athletes don't have?

Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Then there was the Olympic outburst, but that was giving tit for tat.
    Says you. I thought it was a spoiled boy having a temper tantrum and lots of other skaters would have handled the same question much better. Ashley Wagner was handling worse questions (why are you even here?) much better just down the hall as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    No, he's not.
    Who isn't what?

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    ^ Compared to children living in poverty in third world countries all U.S. skaters at the elite level (and most who are only taking the random skating lesson) are definitely privileged.
    And so is everyone posting on this thread if that's the criteria.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    No, he's not.
    Was an answer to this:

If Jason is privileged, then what do call a 28 year old man who is still competing in amateur competition with no significant international results and no major sponsorship deals? The money for Jeremy's training is coming from somewhere. The money to move from Colorado Springs to Detroit came from somewhere. Now maybe he is secretly waiting tables somewhere, but that certainly hasn't been reported. I suspect he is still supported by his family. That is their choice, but it does make him extremely privileged. Even if his parents are working four jobs to support him, HE is still very privileged even if they aren't.

This is one of things that turns me off Jeremy. Granted it is not he who is saying it, but when fans continue to point out how privileged a teenager is when he gets on a talk show, but play the poor Jeremy card, it just rubs me the wrong way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Exactly.

This "Jason is privileged" talk because he got on Arsenio... Who? is ridiculous to me. Skaters go on talk shows all the time. Some are going on the Today show or Leno or Letterman. Jason went on a show many people don't even know is on the air. And suddenly he's a privileged athlete with media connections the other athletes don't have?
    True, in the media age almost all skaters end up on t.v. at some point, even the lower-ranked ones. Sometimes it might just be their own local t.v. station, and other times it might be the major national talk shows and morning shows if they are Davis & White, Virtue & Moir or Patrick Chan.

Practically ever American or Canadian skater that gets to the National podium ends up on t.v. at some point.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    Jason's enthusiasm - whether on or off the ice - is simply contagious. And that is good for skating.
    Meredith, I couldn't agree more. I attended Figure Skating in Harlem last week. I've gone every yr but one since 2005, great organization, promoting education. Jason was like a "happy cricket" there. He made time for everyone...not just big names, but kids, parents, etc. When you speak to him, he asks questions. I mentioned to him how a teacher friend of mine uses "Riverdance" every St. Pat's Day in her ESL class and that this yr she added his from Nats..He was so excited to hear that. When I mentioned that I was a retired teacher..He said.."OMG, that's what I want to be...only with little kids!" I really don't care if his parents are Trump-rich or poor. He is a delight.

vCash
    kwanette, it's nice to know that the Jason we see on TV is the genuine article!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    I think one reason (at least to me) why Jason is getting a more positive reaction from fans than Jeremy is the way they both start their programs. Jason glides out on the ice smiling, looking eager to go. Jeremy always looks like he just threw up & he's about to do it again & that the ice is the last place he wants to be.

It's a proven fact that when you smile the majority of people smile back at you. By the time Jason takes his position I'm smiling, relaxed, sitting back & looking forward to the next few minutes whether he skates perfectly or not. When Jeremy comes out I tense up because his body language says the coming few minutes are going to be torture. Even if he ends up skating a good program it's always a surprise & it's too late to make me feel like I've just seen something special.

vCash
    I enjoy both Jeremy's and Jason's skating for different reasons and don't try to compare them. I can confirm from firsthand experience that their personalities are quite different!

I've seen Jeremy interacting off the ice with his fans and he seems especially kind with his young ones. Here's a photo from last night's meet-and-greet in Manchester, NH: http://instagram.com/p/m6mlfRG8Mm/
    Caption: "Coolest. Hat. Ever! This little dude is awesome! #Sochi2014 @starsonicetour #BestFans #AmazingShow @Starsonice"
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    However, within that pool (U.S. skaters), I think it is correct to say that some are more privileged than others. (E.g. I don't recall that either Tara Lipinski or Sarah Hughes had to take part-time jobs to finance their skating lessons/costumes/training, whereas until recently Ashley Wagner did.)
    Interesting comparison. Tara was 14 when she won Worlds and 15 when she won the Olympics and cashed out in a big way. I suppose at 13 Tara could have set up a lemonade stand or newspaper delivery service to help fund the training beforehand? Ditto Sarah Hughes.

As for privilege, I think it is us who have been privileged to watch skaters like Abbott and Brown take to the ice and have them entertain us to the best of their abilities. I don't know who funds who, but the practice, hard work and dedication that each has shown individually is undeniable. Bravo to the both of them. :respect:

On another note, I don't think I even know anyone who actually watches the Arsenio Hall show. Why are we somehow pretending he's Letterman and paving the way to anything?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I enjoy both Jeremy's and Jason's skating for different reasons
    Me, too. And for some of the same reasons, as well ( how they both relate to music, for example; their transitions, their attention to choreography).
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Interesting comparison. Tara was 14 when she won Worlds and 15 when she won the Olympics and cashed out in a big way. I suppose at 13 Tara could have set up a lemonade stand or newspaper delivery service to help fund the training beforehand? Ditto Sarah Hughes.
    Tara and Sarah both skated during an era of tours and cheesefests; the economic status of the family was less important because competitive skaters could support themselves. The cheesefests are gone, and the only tour still existing usually operates during the competitive season. Since it is now much harder for skaters to support themselves and still compete, I think it only fair to compare Abbott to other current skaters.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I enjoy both Jeremy's and Jason's skating for different reasons and don't try to compare them. I can confirm from firsthand experience that their personalities are quite different!

I've seen Jeremy interacting off the ice with his fans and he seems especially kind with his young ones. Here's a photo from last night's meet-and-greet in Manchester, NH: http://instagram.com/p/m6mlfRG8Mm/
    Caption: "Coolest. Hat. Ever! This little dude is awesome! #Sochi2014 @starsonicetour #BestFans #AmazingShow @Starsonice"
    Jeremy is a very sweet young man. And as Sylvia pointed out, very kind to the fans. I remember watching a very shy Jeremy at the first Figure Skating in Harlem that he attended. He stood by a door and opened it for everyone. Johnny and Evan were both there and they were in the spotlight, but J just stood off by himself. I also saw him gently assistin an "older" woman to the boards. J doesn't give the best interviews, but when you are in his company, he is a sweet humble guy. He is a wonderful skater. I could watch his feet all day. He may not be brimming with a great deal of competitive confidence;maybe he should have gone to summer camp with the Hughes family.

*assisting

vCash
    Jeremy may have done a nice thing, or not, with the disabled lady.

This is a reasonable place to make the point that one of the things my disabled husband dislikes most is people who try to "assist" him. Mr. Ski is not alone about this.

A rundown on etiquette for dealing with people with disabilities
    http://www.marist.edu/specialservice...etiquette.html

Key Parts

Ask Before You Help

Just because someone has a disability, don't assume she needs help. If the setting is accessible, people with disabilities can usually get around fine. Adults with disabilities want to be treated as independent people. Offer assistance only if the person appears to need it. And if she does want help, ask how before you act.

Be Sensitive About Physical Contact

Some people with disabilities depend on their arms for balance. Grabbing them - even if your intention is to assist - could knock them off balance. Avoid patting a person on the head or touching his wheelchair, scooter or cane. People with disabilities consider their equipment part of their personal space.
    There was an incident of this stuff yesterday at Lowe's, so it's on my mind. I spent part of the morning reminding Mr. Ski that the clerk meant well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Jeremy may have done a nice thing, or not, with the disabled lady.
    That may be the case, but I don't think you can argue that Jeremy's heart wasn't in the right place when he assisted.

O-

vCash
    Yes, that's the same argument I made on behalf of the Lowe's clerk...

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I never used the word "disabled". I used the word "older".

vCash
    "Older" I am older. And I manage just fine-. Just because I'm old, it doesn't mean I need help. Ask first, at least.

vCash
    "Older" I am older. And I manage just fine-. Just because I'm old, it doesn't mean I need help. Ask first, at least.
    Unless you were there you don't know about the specific situation.
    I'm 'kind of old' and I always appreciate manners...like in St. Louis, 2006 when a young man gave me his seat on the train.

vCash
    Perhaps he did.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Haven't we gone far enough from the topic of how posters feel about JA retiring or not? And, whatever our opinions on that subject, it's hard to think of the anecdote kwanette offered as anything but an example of his thoughtfulness and good manners. In any event, I can't imagine him (or myself) touching or otherwise assisting a complete stranger without asking first (except in an emergency).

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast