Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniwren12 View Post
    Meryl and Sharna's night has been made http://instagram.com/p/m33ojyyQCQ/# I'm glad Meryl has someone to share her obsession with
    Awwww!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    So, I am new to DWTS. Everyone here is saying Derek is the most popular male pro. My question is, who is the best of the male pros just in terms of dance skills? Or is it impossible to choose?

So far, I have been most impressed with Val. I think he's fantastic. He seems very solid and secure and precise in his partnering. He does an excellent job of guiding his partners and letting them shine, without drawing too much attention to himself. Also, he always seems very much on the rhythm, and just very reliable. I like Maks too, and the other guys, but Val has impressed me most. Curious to know what other people think.
    Since I'm the resident DWTS junkie & have been watching the show since season 2, here's my assessment of all the male pros based on their strengths so that you can get a better idea of each of them individually:

Derek is considered the best in that he knows how to package his celeb partners by masking their weaknesses and bring out their strengths, I call him the illusionist. What he does best is pull from a lot of other dance styles as well, but will leave out a lot of certain ballroom/latin basics in addition to breaking rules too. That's usually why he ends up getting his celeb so far in the competition. However he's been known to lack patience and be an a--hole with some of his celeb partners as well (it rarely ever gets aired during the intro packages). The only seasons I really enjoyed Derek's dances was when he was dancing with Jennie Garth, Brooke Burke, and Joanna Krupa.

Mark is definitely the most inventive & innovative male pro with his choreography, always adding just that modern touch to make their dance stand out, however he is known for out-dancing his celebs partners. He has also proven himself to be good teacher, considering he got Bristol Palin of all people to the finals in season 11. Whenever he makes the finale he definitely choreographs the freestyle to his celebs strengths, some his best freestyles would be w/ Kristi Y, Shawn Johnson, Katherine Jenkins, and Aly Raisman. Some of Mark's other best dances include: his Rip it Up Jive w/ Kristi Y, his Waltz w/ Katherine Jenkins, his Cha-cha and Tango-Paso fusion with Shawn Johnson, his Viennese Waltz w/ Chelsea Kane, and his Contemporary w/ Aly Raisman.

Tony is the best pro when it comes to lifts, the lifts he did with Melissa Rycroft for both of her seasons are so phenomenal yet look so effortless. Tony is also one of the best teachers, always teaching the fundamentals to his celeb so that they have good foundation, and he always dials down his performance to dance to the level his celeb partner is at. So check out everything he's danced with Melissa and also Stacy Kiebler to see Tony at his best.

Maks is the best pro to go to for choreographing straight ballroom/latin dances. He is a very tough teacher, but he knows how to get the best out of his celeb; he reminds me of that hard school teacher that you hated but at the same time you learn so much from & grow to appreciate. Usually his Tangos & Paso Dobles are his celeb's best dances, but he also can also steam it up with either the Samba or Rumba as a well. But he is willing to take a risks if he thinks it will help his celeb like he did w/ Erin Andrew's freestyle. Some stand out dances from the past Maks has done would be the Free Your Mind Paso doble w/ Mel B, his Mambo w/ Laila Ali, his Rumba with Willa Ford, his Argentine Tango w/ Brandy, and both of his Sambas with Erin Andrews.

Val is definitely becoming one the best choregraphers on the show, unlike his brother he's really shown how good he is at expanding his range to other dance styles and has particularly done well with choreographing Contemporary and Hip-hop. Each and every week he always develops his celeb to make sure that they're improving from week to week. Val is just as intense as Maks, but definitely knows how to keep his cool. To see Val's best work check out his Salsa trio w/ Zendaya, his Cha-Cha w/ Elizabeth Berkley, and his Paso doble w/ Kelly Monaco.
    Last edited by belladashwood; 04-17-2014 at 03:42 PM.

vCash
    What are the pros actual dancing credentials? I've searched and found very little about them; very light competitive records.
    Who is the best dancer, assuming they are all paired with equally talented professional female dancers. (You can't really compare their ability when they are dancing with amateurs of varying skill level; just their ability to pro-am.) Who is the most accomplished dancer awards wise?

Do any of them have excellent professional competitive credentials?
    (Hough seems to have won a Jr. World title- but is dancesport like other dance forms where there are tons of organizations claiming to be crown "world champions"; Maks has a number of titles but I don't know how prestigious they are; can't find much about Val...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mattiecat13 View Post
    I didn't watch that season. What happened with Hope Solo?
    Hope Solo was Maks' most toxic celeb partnership & had the worst influence on him, and it didn't help that she lied in her biography accusing Maks of abusing her while on the show.
    Last edited by belladashwood; 04-17-2014 at 03:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    What are the pros actual dancing credentials? I've searched and found very little about them; very light competitive records.
    Who is the best dancer, assuming they are all paired with equally talented professional female dancers. (You can't really compare their ability when they are dancing with amateurs of varying skill level; just their ability to pro-am.) Who is the most accomplished dancer awards wise?

Do any of them have excellent professional competitive credentials?
    (Hough seems to have won a Jr. World title- but is dancesport like other dance forms where there are tons of organizations claiming to be crown "world champions"; Maks has a number of titles but I don't know how prestigious they are; can't find much about Val...)
    I recommend going to this site and doing a search if you want to know each pro's full competitive record & any titles they've won: http://dancesportinfo.net/Search/Couples

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    Maks only finalized his deal to return to the show on February 27, and Meryl & Charlie were already long signed up by then. I think Maks requested/demanded Meryl specifically. I'm glad it turned out better for him than when he requested Hope Solo.
    If you read his quotes about when Meryl first walked through the door, he seemed genuinely shocked and surprised to have gotten her. He said things like (paraphrasing here): "What did I do to get such a great partner? I feel blessed. I thought they made a mistake and Meryl would be walking back out to the right room." So either you believe he didn't request Meryl and the best star or you think he is lying and putting on an act. Maks just seems like someone who can't lie well. He wears his heart on his sleeve. Even his own brother said he "doesn't have a filter." Which is both a good and bad thing for Maks. LOL. It's why he's gotten himself into so much trouble with the judges and producers in the past.

I think at most he said something like "You better give me someone good" to the producers but he didn't ask for anyone specific. Meryl is also not a natural or logical match for Maks given their big size difference.

vCash
    Val's got a ton of national and world titles, I think. 14 national titles I think I read.

What happened with Hope Solo?
    You might want to youtube that disaster, but you will think less of Maks after you watch it. Hope, physically, is probably the worst dancer Maks was ever paired with. She moved like a jock, had no rhythm, couldn't count the dance steps. But worse, she was insecure, neurotic, insanely competitive (both in the competition and with Maks), and a perfectionist who wanted to do things her way. The two of them grew to hate each other, which culminated in an ugly incident during a group rehearsal where he was supposedly showing her the choreography but was obviously just shoving her around because he was frustrated with her (youtube "group paso doble"). A year later, she came out with a book and said there was another incident where Maks slapped her under the guise of positioning her face, but it was kept off the air.

vCash
    If you read his quotes about when Meryl first walked through the door, he seemed genuinely shocked and surprised to have gotten her.
    I don't think he was shocked, but I think maybe he wasn't 100% sure who he was going to get, and when he saw her it was like, "I did get her!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by belladashwood View Post
    Hope Solo was Maks' most toxic celeb partnership & had the worst influence on him, and it didn't help that she lied in her biography accusing Maks of abusing her while on the show.
    How do you know it was a lie? Were you there?

vCash
    I don't think he was shocked, but I think maybe he wasn't 100% sure who he was going to get, and when he saw her it was like, "I did get her!"
    Well he actually said something to the effect that he was shocked and also he said he thought it was a "mistake" when she walked through the door ... so if he actually asked for her by name, he would not have thought it was a mistake.

He would really have had to lie and put on a big act if he indeed asked for her by name and then said the things he did. I think with Maks, what you see is what you get. No filter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    How do you know it was a lie? Were you there?
    I read the passages from Hope's book & a lot of it was her pulling crap out of thin air, even Derek's fangirls @PureDWTS who despise Maks were coming to his defense on this and knew Hope was lying because their inside source at the show told them differently.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Hope Solo has been involved in a number of controversies, including a domestic altercation with her fiance that ended up in court on the day they were supposedly to be married (link below). She's considered to be sort of a flake, and while I haven't followed her career closely, she definitely came off that way in a pretty in-depth E60 interview I watched a year or so ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...dding/1703115/
    Last paragraph in that article:
    Considered the best goalkeeper in the world, Solo's career has also been tinged with controversy. In her recent memoir, Solo: A Memoir of Hope, she details her benching during the 2007 World Cup (in which she criticized legendary keeper Brianna Scurry); she alleges then-coach Greg Ryan shoved her (he denied it); criticizes members of the USA's 1999 World Cup championship team; and claims that Dancing with the Stars partner Maksim Chmerkovskiy slapped her (he denied it).
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Muffin, to follow up on my previous comment ...

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/2509650...m-chmerkovskiy

Take a look at this interview at around the 2:45 mark. Maks says that when he saw Meryl walk through the door he said to himself "There's no way this is my partner" and that he was waiting for someone to run in and tell Meryl she had gone to the wrong room. If he had asked for Meryl specifically, he wouldn't have said those things or he would have had to be lying and putting on an act in this interview. I just don't think he's that good an actor and that dishonest. As his own brother said, he has no filter (and lying is a sort of filter).

He may have asked the producers to give him someone "good" but I would bet he didn't ask for Meryl in particular.

vCash
    Here's what I'd like to know: Do the pro dancers get a list of the celebrities slated to be on the show before they meet their respective partners?

vCash
    I read the passages from Hope's book & a lot of it was her pulling crap out of thin air, even Derek's fangirls @PureDWTS who despise Maks were coming to his defense on this and knew Hope was lying because their inside source at the show told them differently.
    Again, you were not there. And a blind item from PureDWTS is hardly unimpeachable.

The footage of Maks and Hope that aired on DWTS really spoke for itself. Maks was way out of line, regardless of what kind of annoying person Hope is.

vCash
    Since I'm the resident DWTS junkie & have been watching the show since season 2, here's my assessment of all the male pros based on their strengths so that you can get a better idea of each of them individually:

Thanks for your analysis, Bella!

vCash
    Marlie, I don't think Maks is a liar, but I think you underestimate his flair for the dramatic. A lot of things on the show are done for the cameras and Maks has always done his part well. I don't mean it's fake or dishonest, but there are certain things that they want *shown* on camera that are not 100% spontaneous.

I mean Maks and Meryl's "reunion" this week made it seem like they hadn't seen each other in a long time, when in reality it appeared to take place at the studio in New York (or wherever M&C were on tour), and most likely they had flown there together. At the very least, they'd seen each other on show day and would have had a chance to do all the "I missed you" stuff already. Again, that doesn't mean the hug wasn't sincere, but that reunion was clearly set up a certain way and performed for the cameras.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura4 View Post
    Here's what I'd like to know: Do the pro dancers get a list of the celebrities slated to be on the show before they meet their respective partners?
    I would think not. Especially since it seems they are scrambling for certain stars right up to the last minute. This year, it was rumored that Bruce Jenner was going to be on the show, but that didn't work out for some reason.

Sometimes it's leaked to the press that a certain star will be on the show, so I guess the pros can read the press reports like anyone else. Or they may have some inside information of a certain star. But I don't think the producers consult with the pros that much on who their next partner will be.

With Meryl & Charlie, DWTS was a done deal the day after they won gold at Sochi. But it was never leaked to the media. None of us knew for sure until the morning GMA revealed the cast, though I recall many here speculated on it because they were in LA at an Oscars party the day before the reveal.

vCash
    I think Karina once said they get some kind of list about 15 minutes before they meet their partner and sometimes have to frantically google who the people are. I think the show doesn't want the pros to offend the celebrities by having no idea who they are. In Meryl & Charlie's case, it had been rumored for about a month that they would be on the show and I'm sure Maks was at least aware of the rumors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Again, you were not there. And a blind item from PureDWTS is hardly unimpeachable.

The footage of Maks and Hope that aired on DWTS really spoke for itself. Maks was way out of line, regardless of what kind of annoying person Hope is.
    Well, neither were you. I don't deny that Maks was rough with Hope during the team dance rehearsal, but she said other things that clearly did not line up. I normally don't trust Pure, but in this case they were correct & along with their inside source at the show who's been right about other things.

And also if anyone else wants to discuss & debate Maks' partnership w/ Hope Solo, then please take it to the general DWTS thread in the Off the Beaten Track section

Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast