Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    So does anyone have even the slightest idea as to what "party anthem" Maks and Meryl could tango to?
    Party Rock? Tubthumping? Yeah ... I got nothin'.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    Party Rock? Tubthumping? Yeah ... I got nothin'.
    No idea, but props to Meryl if she manages to work "the worm" into her routine (although that may get complaints from the judges).
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by belladashwood View Post
    Gee, those people sound as looney tunes ...
    What's extremely sad about them is their dishonesty. They have no hesitation to lie. They outright lied about at least 3 things concerning switchup week -- they said Meryl and Val were "not getting along" which was false, they said Maks and Danica were "not getting along" which was false, and they said the producers didn't listen to viewers votes which was false (and they censored a comment which laid out proof they were wrong).

If Meryl wins, their story will be that the producers promised Maks the win for coming back and they rigged it. This is utter nonsense. Yes, to some extent the show is rigged. For example, when they initially pair a star with a pro, that is rigging the results in a way. Which is a big reason why Derek has won so many times, because he's generally gotten the better talented stars to work with. But the producers do not promise any pro a win at the beginning of a season. The irony is that if the Derek fangirls argue the results for Meryl are rigged, then that means all of Derek's results were rigged too. They can't have it both ways, though they try to!

I do not mind the petty jealousy, gossip, bitterness and cattiness. That is to be expected of rabid irrational fans like that. But the dishonesty and lies speak very poorly of them and are wrong.
    Last edited by Marlie fan; 04-16-2014 at 02:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    No idea, but props to Meryl if she manages to work "the worm" into her routine (although that may get complaints from the judges).
    Don't they have the tango next week? A tango to a party anthem? Hmmm. Seems odd.

vCash
    Hmmm. Seems odd.
    All the music choices seem odd.

vCash
    It's going to be one of those weeks. I am looking forward to seeing what Sharna and Charlie do for their 80s party anthem cha cha. The tango could be anything; I don't even have a guess. Like Maks said in one of those interviews, I'm just enjoying every week, so hey, it's tango week, let's enjoy tango.

Stars on Ice is in New Hampshire, Albany, New York and Maine this week, so another cross-country travel.

vCash
    I don't think Sharna and Charlie are very fond of their song because Sharna made a point of saying they didn't choose it.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Gorgeous photos from a fan at the Providence SOI show!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marnia...7644018508494/
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlie fan View Post

If Meryl wins, their story will be that the producers promised Maks the win for coming back and they rigged it. This is utter nonsense. Yes, to some extent the show is rigged. For example, when they initially pair a star with a pro, that is rigging the results in a way.
    I'm not sure that's the only way the show's rigged from what I've heard so far. There was a show here in Germany of which they recently uncovered that it was filmed within two weeks, in Germany, and not the Australian wilderness as they always claimed. Since it was filmed within two weeks and not going on air live, the phone call voting, of course, didn't make a single difference in the end.
    And a friend has once done a similiar show (in Turkey) and she told us afterwards that the guy who won "mysteriously" always drew the dances he was good at and, big surprise, he won. He was also already hired as a choreographer for the following season by the network before the show even ended.
    I have a hard time believing that DWTS is any different; I do believe they're live on air but I also think the results are rigged and they already know who's going to win. Maybe I'm very cynical but TPTB probably care more about ratings than anything else.

vCash
    In the United States, it is a federal crime to rig a game show, dating back to the Quiz Show scandals, and it is taken very seriously. Producers do have certain ways of influencing how things go, and that's why you see a big list of disclaimers at the end of every show listing things that may be at the show's "discretion". But disregarding viewer votes would send a whole lot of people to prison.

When it comes to DWTS being "rigged" it has to do with the judges maybe giving scores that will help out somebody who has not been raking in a lot of viewer votes, or editing an unflattering package together that will hurt someone who is vulnerable (hello, Nene).

vCash
    In the United States, it is a federal crime to rig a game show, dating back to the Quiz Show scandals, and it is taken very seriously.
    No court has ever answered if reality type shows are actually game shows though.
    Many claim to be "for entertainment only".

Here's a good article (addressing Survivor) http://public.getlegal.com/articles/...r-reality-show
    It seems like Dancing with the Stars is unlikely to fit into the quiz show rules, though perhaps it is a contest of skill. However, since the judges don't actually seem to score on skill, and the outside voters certainly do not- I'm thinking it is not considered a game show.

vCash
    I have trouble coming to terms with the fact that the frequent glitches in voting make for a compliant process for their pliable rules. The jails are going to be full at this rate. I wouldn't want my taxpayer money going towards policing this sham.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    I have a hard time believing that DWTS is any different; I do believe they're live on air but I also think the results are rigged and they already know who's going to win. Maybe I'm very cynical but TPTB probably care more about ratings than anything else.
    Yes, that is a very cynical view. I believe it's rigged but only up to a point ...

It's rigged in the sense they determine which star dances with a certain pro, and I think most definitely Derek has generally gotten the most talented stars. This year, Maks got the most talented star -- and it's only fitting considering he hasn't had the same benefit of the pairings that Derek has had in the past. (I think part of that has to do with Maks height/size; he usually gets paired with the taller and heavier stars who are the least athletically inclined.)

It's rigged in the sense that the producers may prematurely get rid of some pairings or stars who are either not pulling in a lot of fan votes or who have personally crossed swords with them. I think there is truth to Sean Avery getting the boot because he cursed out one producer on the phone.

It's rigged in the sense that they may favor some couples by giving them more desirable music and dance choices each week. (But if that is so, then they certainly put Maks/Meryl at a disadvantage with that awful Disney song this week. )

And it may even be rigged in the sense that they might tip the balance between two evenly deserving finalists at the end.

But I do not for a minute believe they pick the winner at the beginning of the season. I think they watch how things evolve with the viewer votes, the judge's scores, and the actual quality of the dance performances and then -- at most -- help influence the direction of things or, at the very end, tip the balance in one direction toward one finalist.

But the important point is that I think most who are in the finals are all deserving for one reason or another -- even if it is primarily because they get a ton of viewer votes. If Amy wins it will be mainly due to a huge swell of sympathy voting. It won't be because the producers ordained it or because of the judges who I think will limit her scores relative to the best remaining dancers the rest of the way. If Meryl or Charlie or James win, it will be because of the judges scoring + fan votes.

James, btw, I think is a very serious contender for the MBT. He's very good looking and has a ton of twitter followers, he can dance pretty well, and he's got CA and Bruno slobbering over him every week. I don't think Amy will win as she is too limited in what she can do. How is she going to do a jive or quick step? They've been easy on her in terms of dance selections and scoring up to now, but I think her limitations will be even more harshly exposed in the coming weeks.

So, yes, the show is somewhat rigged, but only up to a point.
    Last edited by Marlie fan; 04-16-2014 at 06:11 PM.

vCash
    It's rigged in the sense they determine which star dances with a certain pro, and I think most definitely Derek has generally gotten the most talented stars.
    Yea, you definitely won't see Derek with someone like Cloris Leachman or Diana Nyad.

vCash
    Yeah, but that's a ratings thing. The bottom line is he's the favorite pro. DWTS would be shooting themselves in the foot if they gave him poor dancers. In fact I think part of the decline of the show is that many of the fave pros, particularly the women, have moved on. The switch conversation would have been completely different if Julianne, Edyta, Chelsie, and Lacey were still on the show. Derek is also a petite guy, so the larger women don't make sense either.

I may not be a fan of Derek's fans and the way they think the sun shines out of his rear end, but I understand the decisions DWTS has made and I don't blame Derek for taking advantage. His exposure on this show has opened so many doors for him.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Gorgeous photos from a fan at the Providence SOI show!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marnia...7644018508494/
    Those ARE great photos! Figure skating is difficult to photograph well, and I bet this person has a great camera, a great eye, and knows Photoshop well too! Well done!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    All the music choices seem odd.
    Definitely. They're almost all ridiculous, and I refuse to believe that anything is done on this show without maximum ratings/drama/storyline interest in mind.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    Yeah, but that's a ratings thing. The bottom line is he's the favorite pro. DWTS would be shooting themselves in the foot if they gave him poor dancers. In fact I think part of the decline of the show is that many of the fave pros, particularly the women, have moved on. The switch conversation would have been completely different if Julianne, Edyta, Chelsie, and Lacey were still on the show. Derek is also a petite guy, so the larger women don't make sense either.

I may not be a fan of Derek's fans and the way they think the sun shines out of his rear end, but I understand the decisions DWTS has made and I don't blame Derek for taking advantage. His exposure on this show has opened so many doors for him.
    I agree with everything you said. But it doesn't change the fact that Derek has had an advantage over the other pros in terms of partnering. This is a fact which the Derek fangirls refuse to admit to. They are in denial and its hysterical to see them attempt to twist logic in order to believe in another reality.

If I were the producers, I would probably do the same thing for Derek as ratings = money = survivability as a show. However, I think they underestimated Maks' appeal, and while he was gone, ratings dropped. Like it or not, the drama he brought to the show in the past made a lot of people watch. Which is probably why they asked him to come back as either a contestant or judge this season. But I don't for a second believe they promised him either (a) the most talented star or (b) the trophy. He was genuinely surprised and in disbelief when he saw Meryl walk through the door the first time. I don't think he's a good enough actor to fake that. He wears his heart on his sleeve. Always.

vCash
    The producers also rig the show by determining the dance order. Usually the more desirable spots are in the last half hour of the show. It is ratings driven, obviously, and if they can stir up fake or exaggerated drama, they will.

Personally, I think Danica is the best dancer after Meryl and Charlie. James is okay I guess, but I think Peta doesn't give him enough content. Certainly when paired with Charlie, Peta could have made the program more challenging. Sharna is giving Charlie difficult choreography and giving him a chance to shine. Like Maks is doing for Meryl. (and Val for Danica.)

vCash
    I agree that DWTS underestimated Maks' appeal. Ratings are slipping which accounts for all the changes they made this season: replacing the orchestra, replacing Brooke, the partner switch experiment. They brought Maks back to improve ratings. I suspect that they also gave Maks the best female star this season in order to improve ratings.

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast