Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast

vCash
    Gosh, they're losing their spark with this schedule. Hope they're finding some nap times.

vCash
    Meryl tweeted that they're watching Candace Cameron Bure on Full House on the SOI bus to Albany.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post

LOL, if it's the one I think you mean, it's one of my favorite pictures of them: http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townn...review-300.jpg
    Now that everything's said and done, I'm sure Meryl and Charlie can have a good laugh at this! I remember a commentator saying from that point on, Charlie decided that he wasn't going to mess up any more. Good decision, Charlie!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia2013 View Post
    I thought I heard "Feel So Close" by Calvin Harris in the background when the video showed Meryl and Maks practicing. Can it be used for a tango? Here is a link to listen to the song: http://youtu.be/dGghkjpNCQ8?t=30s.
    I checked out the time signature for Feel So Close, and it's written in 4/4 time, and ballroom tango is danced to music written in either 2/4 or 4/4 time signature. And the lyrics to that song could definitely describe how Maks feels about dancing with & being around Meryl, hopefully they make it sexy

So more than likely this will be the song they're tangoing to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by belladashwood View Post
    I checked out the time signature for Feel So Close, and it's written in 4/4 time, and ballroom tango is danced to music written in either 2/4 or 4/4 time signature. And the lyrics to that song could definitely describe how Maks feels about dancing with & being around Meryl, hopefully they make it sexy

So more than likely this will be the song they're tangoing to.
    This is such fantastic news! It's a great party song for a tango theme. With their chemistry they'll rock it.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    What are the pros actual dancing credentials? I've searched and found very little about them; very light competitive records.
    Who is the best dancer, assuming they are all paired with equally talented professional female dancers. (You can't really compare their ability when they are dancing with amateurs of varying skill level; just their ability to pro-am.) Who is the most accomplished dancer awards wise?

Do any of them have excellent professional competitive credentials?
    (Hough seems to have won a Jr. World title- but is dancesport like other dance forms where there are tons of organizations claiming to be crown "world champions"; Maks has a number of titles but I don't know how prestigious they are; can't find much about Val...)
    There are only two that matter, WDSF and WDF. And national federations. Derek's title is legit. Of the wonder triplets, he's the best and most likely to get people sort of thinking he wasted the talent, though I know few dancers who begrudge him grabbing for the long green while the grabbing is good. Val was quite accomplished in the open Amateur but quit both to do the show and because around the time he stopped there was a LOT of backbiting and nastiness between WDSF (the IOC member that is bound and determined to get dancesport in the Olympics) and WDF, leading to a lot of federations banning and sanctioning couples who danced the "wrong" events. Val was on the "Freedom to Dance" side.

The one with the most impressive titles is Karina. She's a world Latin champion with two partners, Slavik and...Louis van Amstel. The sometimes-appearing pro who beats her is...Corky Ballas. He and Shirley were multiple-time champions. The show seems to mostly attract Latin dancers.

Tony is a multiple World Rhythm champion, which means a LOT to people like me who compete in the Rhythm division (for some of what Rhythm is now, look up Emmanuel Pierre-Antione and Liana on youtube). Not as much to the world as American-style is not big outside the US, though it's growing. We actually have a figure in my Silver Rhythm routine my pro jokingly calls the "Tony step" because Tony taught it to him while coaching at our studio (we suspect it's a Fred Astaire thing.) Likewise Jonathan was American Smooth champion while also doing the show.

Most of the "older" pros (ie Maks, Tony, Cheryl, Anna, etc.) plus Val and to some degree the wonder triplets get a fair amount of respect. Even if some people don't like them (my old pro finds Corky a bit much and enjoyed being on the floor the day Corky learned Pro-Am is not a cakewalk) as people they generally respect them as dancers, also as judges (I've been judged by Maks twice, I've seen Tony on a panel while I was spectating in New York) coaches and teachers. The newer/less accomplished pros....with someone like Chelsie it's like...."That's what you're going to do?" The reaction to Lacey was "What does she know about ballroom?" (Answer: Not a lot, but she knows how to be on TV.) The take on a lot of the newbies is they're not really hired as accomplished competitive dancers but for TV skills. They just haven't done much that really counts.

Also note dancesportinfo is only useful for international results and not very helpful for American-style dancers. It also only goes back so far and isn't always up to date (which given some people change partners like they change underwear is understandable.) It's kind of hard to follow, too, if you don't know what you're reading.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    There are only two that matter, WDSF and WDF. And national federations. Derek's title is legit. Of the wonder triplets, he's the best and most likely to get people sort of thinking he wasted the talent, though I know few dancers who begrudge him grabbing for the long green while the grabbing is good. Val was quite accomplished in the open Amateur but quit both to do the show and because around the time he stopped there was a LOT of backbiting and nastiness between WDSF (the IOC member that is bound and determined to get dancesport in the Olympics) and WDF, leading to a lot of federations banning and sanctioning couples who danced the "wrong" events. Val was on the "Freedom to Dance" side.

The one with the most impressive titles is Karina. She's a world Latin champion with two partners, Slavik and...Louis van Amstel. The sometimes-appearing pro who beats her is...Corky Ballas. He and Shirley were multiple-time champions. The show seems to mostly attract Latin dancers.

Tony is a multiple World Rhythm champion, which means a LOT to people like me who compete in the Rhythm division (for some of what Rhythm is now, look up Emmanuel Pierre-Antione and Liana on youtube). Not as much to the world as American-style is not big outside the US, though it's growing. We actually have a figure in my Silver Rhythm routine my pro jokingly calls the "Tony step" because Tony taught it to him while coaching at our studio (we suspect it's a Fred Astaire thing.) Likewise Jonathan was American Smooth champion while also doing the show.
    Thanks sooo much for taking the time to explain this for everyone else. Corky and Shirley Ballas are legends in Int'l Latin & have trained practically all the DWTS pros , only to be runner up to Donnie Burns & Gaynor Fairweather multiple times in competition; not to mention Corky worked with the Shibs on their Michael Buble short dance for this past season. Have to agree out of all the pros Karina is the one w/ the most impressive titles, and her partnership w/ Slavik being her most successful one. Tony is pretty much a legend in the Rhythm division and won the world title for that 3x's with 2 different partners one being Elena Grinenko (who used to compete w/ Maks in Int'l Latin and who worked with Meryl & Charlie on their Batucadas/Life is a Carnival/On The Floor short dance for the 2011-2012 season). Also Tony, Karina & her partner Slavik trained Jennifer Lopez and Richard Gere for their movie Shall We Dance and had cameos in the film as well. Love how you call Derek/Mark/Julianne the wonder-triplets , they were also called the Ballas-Hough brat pack too, and I guess also competing back in the Youth division Mark and Val had seriously rivalry going on. In light of Julianne's recent judging comments to his brother, Val said he said he was supposed to partner up w/ Julianne to compete in the Amateur division but that he flaked out on her and she instead went to do DWTS, so go figure .

Most of the "older" pros (ie Maks, Tony, Cheryl, Anna, etc.) plus Val and to some degree the wonder triplets get a fair amount of respect. Even if some people don't like them (my old pro finds Corky a bit much and enjoyed being on the floor the day Corky learned Pro-Am is not a cakewalk) as people they generally respect them as dancers, also as judges (I've been judged by Maks twice, I've seen Tony on a panel while I was spectating in New York) coaches and teachers. The newer/less accomplished pros....with someone like Chelsie it's like...."That's what you're going to do?" The reaction to Lacey was "What does she know about ballroom?" (Answer: Not a lot, but she knows how to be on TV.) The take on a lot of the newbies is they're not really hired as accomplished competitive dancers but for TV skills. They just haven't done much that really counts
    Have to agree with you about Lacey when she was hired onto the show, her training & competing was in Latin & Swing, and had no competition experience in ballroom. Unlike Lacey, at least Chelsie was trained in & competed in both latin & ballroom, and she was a USA World's finalist and competed for the US team at the British Open in Blackpool. But you're right in that the newbies (like Lindsey, Witney...etc) are hired for their tv skills and not based on their competitive ballroom record.

Also note dancesportinfo is only useful for international results and not very helpful for American-style dancers. It also only goes back so far and isn't always up to date (which given some people change partners like they change underwear is understandable.) It's kind of hard to follow, too, if you don't know what you're reading.
    True, but dancesportinfo site is still a good place to start with looking up info at, it most likely does need to be updated more.
    Last edited by belladashwood; 04-18-2014 at 07:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post

LOL, if it's the one I think you mean, it's one of my favorite pictures of them: http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townn...review-300.jpg
    Thanks for the picture! that's the moment!

vCash
    Thanks for the background info, danceronice!

vCash
    Not only are they looking tired, I think Charlie is looking really thin. I don't know how they're doing everything, and still going with a smile on their face!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Is Maks wearing Cody Simpson pants?
    Ha! I noticed that, too. Someone's gotta carry on the tradition now that Cody's been eliminated, right?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly Anna C View Post
    Not only are they looking tired, I think Charlie is looking really thin. I don't know how they're doing everything, and still going with a smile on their face!
    He's said in a few interviews they don't have time to eat. Apparently, he's being literal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by belladashwood View Post
    .........But you're right in that the newbies (like Lindsey, Witney...etc) are hired for their tv skills and not based on their competitive ballroom record.........
    I guess you don't have to be among the best to have entertainment value. Average viewers like me can't necessarily judge technical ability in ballroom anyway. I've got a hard enough time determining who the best ice dancers are. Freestyle is easy to judge. Just count the triple jumps.
    Last edited by Johnny_Fever; 04-18-2014 at 02:06 PM.

vCash
    This is a lovely Tumblr post:

http://thisspecialwerewolfgirl.tumbl...meet-and-greet

No Sunday show this week, and then they have almost a week between shows, so hopefully they can slow their pace down a little. It sounds like yesterday they danced all morning, took a picture at a cafe in Manchester so hopefully ate something, show that night, meet and greet after the show and then had a three and a half hour drive to Albany.

vCash
    Seeing them in Portland tomorrow night!

vCash
    So Meryl and Val danced an AT to "Too Close" and Meryl and Maks are dancing a tango to "Feel So Close" ? I'm starting to see a pattern? Meryl is just very close with her partners!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheriepopo View Post
    I liked that OD a lot! I was impressed by how Charlie made so many mistakes(at least 2 falls I think, and off on other elements too) during their OD at Cup of Russia that season, while Meryl still managed to deliver her parts well. There was a screen-snap of Charlie fell out of the camera with Meryl kept her happy dancing face during the MidLine step in a thread, and somebody said that maybe some day when D/W became world or Olympic medalists, they would look at that picture with a smile. Wow it feels like a century ago thinking about this OD! (hope I'm not off-topic! lol)

p.s. I enjoy reading all the posts in this thread!
    I think that season was an amazing season in terms of D/W stepping up their choreography and having programs that really moved them up to go for a podium position. Cup of Russia was a necessary part of that growth. I think that was the season when I loved both their OD and FD equally-- I mean "Happy Feet" and "Samson and Delilah." What a tremendous set of programs.

vCash

Most of the "older" pros (ie Maks, Tony, Cheryl, Anna, etc.) plus Val and to some degree the wonder triplets get a fair amount of respect. Even if some people don't like them (my old pro finds Corky a bit much and enjoyed being on the floor the day Corky learned Pro-Am is not a cakewalk) as people they generally respect them as dancers, also as judges (I've been judged by Maks twice, I've seen Tony on a panel while I was spectating in New York) coaches and teachers. The newer/less accomplished pros....with someone like Chelsie it's like...."That's what you're going to do?" The reaction to Lacey was "What does she know about ballroom?" (Answer: Not a lot, but she knows how to be on TV.) The take on a lot of the newbies is they're not really hired as accomplished competitive dancers but for TV skills. They just haven't done much that really counts.

This is a fantastic post! Thank you so much.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    There's a very touching write-up about M&C's Olympic medal ceremony and how Cheryl had to miss it in this month's SKATING magazine. It's on page 4.

Also a great recap of the Olympic FD on page 10.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    This is my first season watching as well & I am also enjoying Val the most of the male pros - though they are all so good that the others aren't far behind him.
    Val is my favorite too! That's why I'm so glad that Meryl got to dance with him at least once. Yes, Maks and Meryl have been amazing together but Val brings that little extra something in his instruction and his choreography that makes the dances he creates on the show just that much better and more engaging. I'm so glad too that he got a chance to dance with Meryl and really dance full out. As cute as Danica is, he hasn't really had a chance to do that in awhile. He has to back down a little with Danica whereas with Meryl he just really let it out- both emotionally and technically. Wish we could have seen one more dance with them.

Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast