Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 101
  1. #81

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,320
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32204
    So I guess the "X to death" age group just got moved up ten years
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,068
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5116
    5 years. Previously, it was 61+.

  3. #83

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,320
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32204
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. For some reason "56 to death" was stuck in my mind.....
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  4. #84
    Shadow dancing
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A small camper in the woods.
    Posts
    16,372
    vCash
    800
    Rep Power
    25484
    It used to be 56 to death when the age started at 25.

  5. #85

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,068
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5116
    That's how it used to be, before the present age classes were adopted, I think 5-6 years ago. My age class has changed 6 times since I started skating and only 2 of those changes were due to me actually 'aging up'. I liked the current age group structure the best, sigh.

  6. #86

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-State Pennsylvania
    Posts
    371
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Going to add this here...

    My skater kiddo FINALLY PASSED NOVICE MIF TODAY!!!!! This was her fifth go at it. After the last time, we brought on TWO coaches who passed/taught figures. She got great scores on all the moves, but still lower scores on twizzles and loops. BUT, passed enough twizzles and loops to pass overall.

    My normally inexpressive child was all smiles and hugging people... :-) All three judges passed her. This has been two years working on it, and although it took a long time, I'm so proud of her!

    Okay...skating parent gushing done. I'll just add "PHEW!"

  7. #87

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Greater Boston, MA
    Posts
    650
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Congratulations, Jozet! :-)

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    165
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozet View Post
    Going to add this here...

    My skater kiddo FINALLY PASSED NOVICE MIF TODAY!!!!! This was her fifth go at it. After the last time, we brought on TWO coaches who passed/taught figures. She got great scores on all the moves, but still lower scores on twizzles and loops. BUT, passed enough twizzles and loops to pass overall.

    My normally inexpressive child was all smiles and hugging people... :-) All three judges passed her. This has been two years working on it, and although it took a long time, I'm so proud of her!

    Okay...skating parent gushing done. I'll just add "PHEW!"
    Congratulations to her

  9. #89

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,320
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32204
    That's great!! Congratulations!!
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  10. #90

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,068
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5116
    Congratulations to your daughter, Jozet!

  11. #91

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    9,200
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36844
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozet View Post
    Going to add this here...

    My skater kiddo FINALLY PASSED NOVICE MIF TODAY!!!!! This was her fifth go at it. After the last time, we brought on TWO coaches who passed/taught figures. She got great scores on all the moves, but still lower scores on twizzles and loops. BUT, passed enough twizzles and loops to pass overall.

    My normally inexpressive child was all smiles and hugging people... :-) All three judges passed her. This has been two years working on it, and although it took a long time, I'm so proud of her!

    Okay...skating parent gushing done. I'll just add "PHEW!"
    Woo hoo!!! That is a TOUGH test. Congrats to your daughter!!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

  12. #92

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,300
    vCash
    402
    Rep Power
    4341
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozet View Post
    Going to add this here...

    My skater kiddo FINALLY PASSED NOVICE MIF TODAY!!!!! This was her fifth go at it. After the last time, we brought on TWO coaches who passed/taught figures. She got great scores on all the moves, but still lower scores on twizzles and loops. BUT, passed enough twizzles and loops to pass overall.

    My normally inexpressive child was all smiles and hugging people... :-) All three judges passed her. This has been two years working on it, and although it took a long time, I'm so proud of her!

    Okay...skating parent gushing done. I'll just add "PHEW!"
    First congrats to your child. Second, Please read the thread topic and in the future post your update on your skater's advancements in an appropriate thread so we can remain on the topic intended for this thread. Thanks!
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

  13. #93

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,677
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43422
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    First congrats to your child. Second, Please read the thread topic and in the future post your update on your skater's advancements in an appropriate thread so we can remain on the topic intended for this thread. Thanks!
    If you've read this entire thread through, then you'd realize that Jozet's post IS relevant to this thread.

    Congrats to your kiddo, Jozet!

    ETA that last month I posted the link to USFS' Combined Report of Action document in the 2014 Governing Council thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4266911
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  14. #94

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,300
    vCash
    402
    Rep Power
    4341
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    If you've read this entire thread through, then you'd realize that Jozet's post IS relevant to this thread.

    Congrats to your kiddo, Jozet!

    ETA that last month I posted the link to USFS' Combined Report of Action document in the 2014 Governing Council thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4266911
    I regret to have not seen that Sylvia and you are correct. My sincere apologies to 'Jazet' for my not understanding the connection explained by Sylvia's explanation. - Peter.
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

  15. #95

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Greater Boston, MA
    Posts
    650
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I wonder: Would it be useful to have a permanent thread in this section called "Updates" or "Milestones" or something like that, in which people could report news of tests passed, elements landed for the first time, competitions attended, etc.? What about if this thread was pinned to the top of the board?

  16. #96

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    Posts
    5,016
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34851
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    I wonder: Would it be useful to have a permanent thread in this section called "Updates" or "Milestones" or something like that, in which people could report news of tests passed, elements landed for the first time, competitions attended, etc.? What about if this thread was pinned to the top of the board?
    That would be helpful, but at the end of the day there aren't that many of us that post here on a regular basis, and I don't mind if these updates make their way into another relevant thread. Plus, I only have gripes about how hard novice MITF is at the moment, so that's an anti-milestone post .

  17. #97

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-State Pennsylvania
    Posts
    371
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks, yes...I was hesitating to post my "whoo hoo," but since we were talking about twizzles and loops, I did just wanted to note that even passing and with extra coaching from coaches who specialize in moves/dance, man, those elements are still tough.

    Was there a decision on whether the loops will remain in Novice MIF after Sept?

  18. #98

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,068
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5116
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozet View Post
    Was there a decision on whether the loops will remain in Novice MIF after Sept?
    Yes, they are staying. The proposed changes to the MIF tests were voted down...well, the official term is "sent back to committee."

  19. #99

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    Posts
    5,016
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34851
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Yes, they are staying. The proposed changes to the MIF tests were voted down...well, the official term is "sent back to committee."
    Makes sense overall. Some changes to the moves would be good, but a few of the proposed changes, like updating the current power circles to some crazy direction-changing patterns, did not make any sense whatsoever. And I really did just start working on novice, so I'll be stuck on that for at least a year anyway. Loops are still , but eh wells. Not like I even learned the rest of the test, so no big deal from my end.
    Last edited by ioana; 06-11-2014 at 04:22 PM.

  20. #100

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-State Pennsylvania
    Posts
    371
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for the clarification.

    And yes, as test chair, I see a lot of Novice tests pass with loops that don't pass because other elements are strong. So I wouldn't worry too much about the not-quite-perfect loops if the rest is a strong test.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •