Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash

2014 Governining Council proposed changes

Not sure if this works as a link but the file is listed once you sign in under the Members Only section General Information ->Governing Council->2014 Meeting Book

https://www.usfsaonline.org/Utilitie...ing%20Book.pdf

I am about forward paragraph loops (potentially) being taken off the Novice MITF. I just started working on the test again, but forward loops were and it would have taken me years and years and years to get them anywhere near passing level.

vCash
    Interesting - they are proposing that any USFS member under age 18 must have a parent also be a USFS member, in order to be considered in good standing.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Well, that's just a money grab.

I need to figure out what my login is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I am about forward paragraph loops (potentially) being taken off the Novice MITF. I just started working on the test again, but forward loops were and it would have taken me years and years and years to get them anywhere near passing level.
    They're not "paragraph" loops (two whole circles on one foot connected by a change of edge), but yeah, I understand that those half circle patterns are harder than than the full circles.

I can only do the counterclockwise ones inconsistently, clockwise not at all. I'll never take novice test anyway.

I'm working on adult gold moves now. Don't know if I'll ever test it because the backward brackets are so far about as nonexistent as clockwise forward loops, and the double threes are bad. And those moves aren't proposed to change.

I will miss the back inside circles in the circle eight if they remove it. Yes, it's more difficult and that push isn't used elsewhere, but it's the right level of challenge for me after that year I spent training back outside circle eight for the first figure test, thirty-mumble years ago. I should be able to pass that move now if the ice is clean enough to get a good glide.

Not sure what I think about the changes to the power circles. I guess I'll find out if the proposal passes. I anticipate the counterclockwise ones being fine and the clockwise change of direction to trip me up -- probably literally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Well, that's just a money grab.
    I can't wait to hear people's reactions to that particular change.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    They're not "paragraph" loops (two whole circles on one foot connected by a change of edge), but yeah, I understand that those half circle patterns are harder than than the full circles.
    :facepalm: I've been corrected on that plenty of times and I still keep calling them paragraph loops to somehow distinguish them from the jump. Should stop doing it.

I will miss the back inside circles in the circle eight if they remove it. Yes, it's more difficult and that push isn't used elsewhere, but it's the right level of challenge for me after that year I spent training back outside circle eight for the first figure test, thirty-mumble years ago. I should be able to pass that move now if the ice is clean enough to get a good glide.
    I was far from a big fan of that move, but the change from outside to inside edge circles -and especially the second inside circle- were a good exercise in body awareness. Or lack thereof, in my case

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I can't wait to hear people's reactions to that particular change.
    The pdf made it sound like the additional membership would be $20 per year? I wouldn't think that would be a deal breaker for most families, but I do agree it sounds like an attempt to get more membership $$.

vCash
    My club has always had a parent join with their minor skater. It's necessary in order for them to have voting rights. I thought that was pretty standard procedure. Do any of you belong to clubs that allow minors to join without an adult?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarice View Post
    My club has always had a parent join with their minor skater. It's necessary in order for them to have voting rights. I thought that was pretty standard procedure. Do any of you belong to clubs that allow minors to join without an adult?
    My club allows minors to join without parents, and a parent or guardian gets voting rights through that membership.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    The pdf made it sound like the additional membership would be $20 per year? I wouldn't think that would be a deal breaker for most families, but I do agree it sounds like an attempt to get more membership $$.
    The $20 is the USFS membership. They'd also need to pay for the club membership.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    My club too has always required minors to have a parent join, for insurance reasons. It was a requirement of USFSA Way Back In The Day and the club bylaws haven't changed. In fact, I wasn't aware that USFS allowed minors to join without a parent, except as a Basic Skills member. We register the parent as "additional Family Member" which is already $20 I think. So that's not really a change for us.

Changing the age levels for adults (AGAIN) is ridiculous. I've already contacted my delagate and as many delgates for other clubs as I could find to express my displeasure. The thing I find most annoying is that the proposal doesn't seem to have gone through the Adult Committee but came from the Competition Committee without input from the adult community at all. So the adults need to speak up and make themselves heard!!!!!
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Yeah, zaphyre14, that's exactly what my club does. I'd forgotten about the insurance thing - that was the major reason, I think. So it's not a change for us at all, either.

I am also not thrilled with the adult age level changes, and will be contacting our delegates. I'm also making a point to talk to the other adults at the rink, to make sure that they are aware. Folks, if you are USFS members, you need to read the Meeting Book and be informed about what is going on in your sport. It's in the Members Only section; click on General Info, then Governing Council, like ioana said above. Most items are just fine and should pass with no trouble, but every once in a while there's something that really warrants further discussion. If your club is not sending delegates, they should be sending proxies with instructions on how to vote. If they're not doing that, you need to know why they're giving up the right to influence how our sport is run.

vCash
    They are just changing the age levels for adults (I- IV)? Right, not the classifications for skills?
    I don't agree with it, because I think a 35 year old competing against a 21 year old is just not fair- they are totally different life stages; but hasn't class III gotten really crowded? I can understand wanting to distribute them; I would have added another class though (IIIa, IIIb maybe), not messed up the other ones.

vCash
    They're condensing from 5 age groups to 4: I is ages 21 - 35, II is 36 - 45, III is 46 - 55, and IV is 56 and over. So they're increasing the spread for the youngest and oldest groups. It's not only a matter of wanting to even out the population of the groups; they also want to decrease the total number of events if possible. Adult Nationals is a monster competition that really needs to be streamlined as much as possible, but this particular proposal is getting a lot of opposition.

vCash
    There is a big difference in skill level between a 21-year-old and a 35-year-old, so I imagine there is a lot of opposition. This basically goes back to the divisions of 10 years ago, with the 21-24 ages lumped in with Class I. It's sort of funny to me, since I started out as a I, then got moved into II when they lowered the age to 21 and basically split the old Class I into 2 classes. Then I aged up into III, for a year (I think), then became a II again when they adjusted the groups into their current form, then aged into III, and would now be a II again.

I think the current age divisions (equal spread of ages in each) make more sense and would prefer to keep them. There is a note about age classes often needing to be combined but that's rarely the case in Bronze and Silver, at least for the younger groups. I do see that they are also trying to streamline AN by only allowing one Interp entry, which I think makes sense.

I'm not thrilled about the changes to Gold MIF. I've slaved away for 3 years on that O to I push, lol, and I think I've finally got it. And my inside 8 is better than my outside 8. My coach has a kid on Pre-Juv whose outside is much stronger than inside; I joked that she should combine the 2 of us into 1 skater.

But I really don't like the changes to the power circles. I don't like the change of direction and not sure how that reduces time for the test - you're still doing 4 crossover sets. And it sounds like 16 crossovers per circle instead of 13-14. And not sure I understand how one will transition at "fully accelerated" to the different direction and "start with a slower tempo". Are you supposed to glide along until you lose speed?

It looks like the Singles Committee proposed the MIF changes - can someone on the Adult Committee remind them that "power" is no longer used as a focus on the power circles or other adult moves - it's "continuous flow and strength".

And that requirement for a parent to join is likely going to get some opposition at my club (I think I can predict who the complainers are going to be). And the more members a club has, the higher the club's membership fee to USFS. Our club had a big increase in our USFS dues when we went over 100 members last year. I think the next increase comes at 200 members...I suspect quite a few clubs will be bumped into a higher category and may end up having to raise their club membership fees to account for that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    But I really don't like the changes to the power circles. I don't like the change of direction and not sure how that reduces time for the test - you're still doing 4 crossover sets.
    On the gold test, yes.
    Two of them will be on juvenile and two on intermediate. It's weird how they break them up: CCW forward to backward and CW backward to forward on juvenile and CCW backward to forward, CW forward to backward on intermediate.
    I don't know if there will be a consistent pattern in whether skaters find the backward or forward turn in the bad direction more difficult at speed, and of course not all skaters have the same bad direction.

I tried the backward to forward circles as my warmup this morning. I was able to step forward in the bad direction, feeling a little awkward on the FO edge before starting the crossovers. But I deliberately held myself back from gaining speed. The requirement to make that turn in the middle of the move, and the way the pattern is drawn in the appendix, makes it seem like they don't really want this move to be about gaining power and increasing the circle size. So what is the point of it?

And it sounds like 16 crossovers per circle instead of 13-14. And not sure I understand how one will transition at "fully accelerated" to the different direction and "start with a slower tempo". Are you supposed to glide along until you lose speed?
    I think you're just supposed to keep skating on whatever-sized circles at whatever ice speed you have already attained from the first 8 crossovers, but just slow down the rhythm to begin the second half.

They'll have to educate the coaches and judges as to what the expectations are before this could go into effect.

vCash
    I would also expect that if it passes, when the Adult Gold version of the move is written, that the "continuous flow" focus will be substituted for power. As you know, often the specific fine details of wording are worked out by the Rules committee after Governing Council is over, for publication in the Rulebook and on the website.

vCash
    No doubt.

Speaking only for myself, I don't have any trouble achieving juvenile-worthy power from back crossovers. What I do have trouble with is stepping from back outside to forward outside in my bad direction at high speed.

vCash
    I tried the backward to forward circles as my warmup this morning. I was able to step forward in the bad direction, feeling a little awkward on the FO edge before starting the crossovers. But I deliberately held myself back from gaining speed. The requirement to make that turn in the middle of the move, and the way the pattern is drawn in the appendix, makes it seem like they don't really want this move to be about gaining power and increasing the circle size. So what is the point of it?
    Yes, I hope they'll clarify what "fully accelerated" on this move means. If you only have 8 crossovers, how many slow, how many medium, how many fast, how much ice coverage/circumference of the circle, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jenlyon60 View Post
    I would also expect that if it passes, when the Adult Gold version of the move is written, that the "continuous flow" focus will be substituted for power. As you know, often the specific fine details of wording are worked out by the Rules committee after Governing Council is over, for publication in the Rulebook and on the website.
    I hope so.

I really need to pass this test (or give up) by Sept 1, b/c there is no way I'll be able to make a LBO-RFO transition in the power circles at high speed. My left ankle just doesn't bend like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post

Changing the age levels for adults (AGAIN) is ridiculous. I've already contacted my delagate and as many delgates for other clubs as I could find to express my displeasure. The thing I find most annoying is that the proposal doesn't seem to have gone through the Adult Committee but came from the Competition Committee without input from the adult community at all. So the adults need to speak up and make themselves heard!!!!!
    That's not the case. I'm on the ASC and it was thoroughly discussed and voted on within the Adult committee before it went to the RFA for Governing Council, and before it was even brought up within the ASC, it was well researched to make sure the numbers proposed made sense from a logistical standpoint.

I'm definitely curious whether that will actually pass at GC or not.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast